2016-2017 Coaching Carousel

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I think it's comical to have sat and watched the UT/Houston hires. UT gets the end all beat all in Tom Herman who lost games this year to SMU, Navy, and Memphis and had 2 very close calls. Houston thinks they are a destination job and hires applewhite. LSU hires a lunatic after firing someone that has won a national title. Let's take a look a couple of years down the road.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
No, it is a good hire, if you want them to go back to their traditional role.
No it wasn't. The three final candidates was Kiffin, Cougars offensive coordinator Major Applewhite and defensive coordinator Todd Orlando. Les Miles and Lincoln Riley were also candidates for the job. So, let's break that down.
Lincoln- It was said that he did extremely well in the interview and was the frontrunner for the job. What happened that eliminated him? The character issue? the buyout?

Les Miles: He know how to win. Was it his age? His history with the offense issue? Did he have issue with buyout ?
Todd Orlando- I don't think he ever was in the mix.

What I'm trying to say that If Houston had hired Ridley, Miles or Kiffin, I would've said that was a good hire and moved on. But why would you want to hire Major Applewhite over experienced coaches with except for Riley? If you are going to based on character issues, then Applewhite should've never got the job especially when there was a rumor that Houston eliminated Riley because of character issues. Applewhite has a lawsuit pending against him related to a student he had affair with. Shoot, Kiffin is known for his off the field behavior. Then you look at the buyout issue in which Houston wanted excessive buyout. Who would want that? Major Applewhite was the only one who took it, and sad thing is, nobody will look at him in few years. He will struggle at Houston. He doesn't do very well in pressure environment. So yes, It's a bad hire for Houston.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Why? Because I have lived in Houston, and they deserve what they got.

(OK, family members have lived there, and others still do. Feel sorry for them!)

Edit: might I point out one of them even has a degree from there. (OK, it was one of the branch campuses. Still.................same difference.)

Last edited:

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
No it wasn't. The three final candidates was Kiffin, Cougars offensive coordinator Major Applewhite and defensive coordinator Todd Orlando. Les Miles and Lincoln Riley were also candidates for the job. So, let's break that down.
Lincoln- It was said that he did extremely well in the interview and was the frontrunner for the job. What happened that eliminated him? The character issue? the buyout?

Les Miles: He know how to win. Was it his age? His history with the offense issue? Did he have issue with buyout ?
Todd Orlando- I don't think he ever was in the mix.

What I'm trying to say that If Houston had hired Ridley, Miles or Kiffin, I would've said that was a good hire and moved on. But why would you want to hire Major Applewhite over experienced coaches with except for Riley? If you are going to based on character issues, then Applewhite should've never got the job especially when there was a rumor that Houston eliminated Riley because of character issues. Applewhite has a lawsuit pending against him related to a student he had affair with. Shoot, Kiffin is known for his off the field behavior. Then you look at the buyout issue in which Houston wanted excessive buyout. Who would want that? Major Applewhite was the only one who took it, and sad thing is, nobody will look at him in few years. He will struggle at Houston. He doesn't do very well in pressure environment. So yes, It's a bad hire for Houston.
Pretty sure you just agreed with what he was saying...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

TampaTide813

Suspended
Dec 16, 2014
It would be a clash of cultures. Some guy was successful, down in Waco, simply because he was a former TX HS coach, and had lots of buddies. Coach February (former HC, at Bevo U) also played that good ol' boy routine.

Probably why they hired a former Bevo U QB.
Thx!

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Unless Kiffin takes that LSU job, I don't see him going anywhere at this point. Which is what I was saying this past week in that if this weekend came and went and Kiffin didn't have a job yet, that hes probably here for another season.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.