2016-2017 Coaching Carousel

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Also take into account CLK has dealt with a new starting qb every year.
True, but probably not as big a deal as some want to think. This year? Yes.

But Blake Sims was a senior and Coker had been a starter at one point on a team that won a national championship. And Sims's development had as much to do with Amari Cooper's ability as anything else.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
True, but probably not as big a deal as some want to think. This year? Yes.

But Blake Sims was a senior and Coker had been a starter at one point on a team that won a national championship. And Sims's development had as much to do with Amari Cooper's ability as anything else.
The point was more that one set of stats don't tell the whole story one way or another. There are still folks that swear on CJM being the best coordinator just because he won two NCs, but dismiss CLK for winning 2 straight SECCGs and 1 NC. So if CLK stays the course and is a part of another NC does that suddenly change the narrative since CLK would've been a part of 3 SECC and 2 NC to CJM's 2 NC and 1 SECC??? No, we only use stats to try to validate our own view and perception, and you can find single stats sprinkled all over to defend a pov. But I think if we really want to decide how effective a coordinator is, we must compare him based on the reasons they were brought in and against other teams of that time period.

Personally I think CLK's offense is more of a safety valve in case our own defense breaks down. It is an aggressive style that is used to make sure that we are never truly out of a game. CJM and CDN offense was a ground and pound offense designed to force submission. The problem is that offenses like Sumlin's and Gus's made their way here, and sometimes our defense got lost, and our offense got stuffed. It made it very difficult to win those types of games. I would argue had CLK been hired before the 2013 iron bowl we probably boat race Auburn with amari. I think while CLK gets very stubborn at times, I think I would rather have his offense in the current era than Macs or Nuss's, and the latter's between 08-12. IMO

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The point was more that one set of stats don't tell the whole story one way or another. There are still folks that swear on CJM being the best coordinator just because he won two NCs, but dismiss CLK for winning 2 straight SECCGs and 1 NC. So if CLK stays the course and is a part of another NC does that suddenly change the narrative since CLK would've been a part of 3 SECC and 2 NC to CJM's 2 NC and 1 SECC??? No, we only use stats to try to validate our own view and perception, and you can find single stats sprinkled all over to defend a pov. But I think if we really want to decide how effective a coordinator is, we must compare him based on the reasons they were brought in and against other teams of that time period.

Personally I think CLK's offense is more of a safety valve in case our own defense breaks down. It is an aggressive style that is used to make sure that we are never truly out of a game. CJM and CDN offense was a ground and pound offense designed to force submission. The problem is that offenses like Sumlin's and Gus's made their way here, and sometimes our defense got lost, and our offense got stuffed. It made it very difficult to win those types of games. I would argue had CLK been hired before the 2013 iron bowl we probably boat race Auburn with amari. I think while CLK gets very stubborn at times, I think I would rather have his offense in the current era than Macs or Nuss's, and the latter's between 08-12. IMO
Total agreement.

Nuss and McElwain (esp) would have had serious problems overcoming a 24-3 deficit to Ole Miss in September.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL

I agree 100%. Not sure it would've kept up with Clemson in the 2016 NC game either...

AlBamaWagg

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Mt Juliet, Tn
Last year it was guaranteed that CLK would be sent away by CNS and not return for the year we are finishing. CNS's recent response when asked about CLK's possible departure didn't seem like there is an underlying desire for him to leave or that it is the works. He expressed his confidence that CLK would have discussed it with him if it were true. Could have just said, "I haven't heard anything about that", and chuckled to himself. CNS is the only one who knows and I doubt he would tell anyone except maybe Miss Terry. In reality, whenever CLK does take his leave, we won't know for sure who's decision it was, nor will it really matter. One thing for certain, there will be a long thread with the "He stunk. I'm glad he's gone" group and the "He did a great job. I wish him well" group. JMO. I do hope when he is a Head Coach that he gets to play UT and USC, and beats them both.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Last year it was guaranteed that CLK would be sent away by CNS and not return for the year we are finishing. CNS's recent response when asked about CLK's possible departure didn't seem like there is an underlying desire for him to leave or that it is the works. He expressed his confidence that CLK would have discussed it with him if it were true. Could have just said, "I haven't heard anything about that", and chuckled to himself. CNS is the only one who knows and I doubt he would tell anyone except maybe Miss Terry. In reality, whenever CLK does take his leave, we won't know for sure who's decision it was, nor will it really matter. One thing for certain, there will be a long thread with the "He stunk. I'm glad he's gone" group and the "He did a great job. I wish him well" group. JMO. I do hope when he is a Head Coach that he gets to play UT and USC, and beats them both.
I see you subscribe to the "no one knows anything except Saban" way of thinking.

CNS and Kiffin might be the only two that know the entire truth, but they aren't the only ones that have some idea of what happens/happened/is happening.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
He has not toed the line. He has continually engaged in behaviors which drive Saban up the wall...
Earle is right. I used to think LK could possibly be in line to replace Saban, but after learning of some off the field things, there is no way this guy could ever be HC at the University of Alabama IMO and I think he's definitely headed somewhere else after this season.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
He has not toed the line. He has continually engaged in behaviors which drive Saban up the wall...
Do you know if the social media activity (trolling people/programs on twitter) is one of the things that has gotten him in hot water with Saban?
My guess, and I do mean guess, is that his lack of ability and/or willingness to adapt in-game would be the primary cause for heart burn. It's really the only kick I have against CLK. He appears to want to run his offensive plan regardless. Then CNS shoulders up and says "we're gonna run the ball more, RIGHT?"

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Well, his transgressions have been much worse, but I'd guess that CNS is not too crazy about that habit, either...
Could you imagine him in Baton Rouge, out from under Saban's thumb and working for his close friend? LOL! A sick part of me actually would like to see the move happen just to see the dumpster fire that situation would no doubt turn into.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Could imagine him in Baton Rouge, out from under Saban's thumb and working for his close friend? LOL! A sick part of me actually would like to see the move happen just to see the dumpster fire that situation would no doubt turn into.
That could just as easily become a serious thorn in our side as a dumpster fire for them. LSU is loaded with talent, and Oeaux and Lane are great recruiters so they could actually amplify the recruiting. Arranda is a very good defensive mind. While I think long term they will crash, I think short term that trio could cost us some SECC and NCs. LSU's problem the past 4 years hasn't been talent or defense, it's been Cam Cameron's dinosaur offense and Les's unwillingness to change with the times. Lane is certainly an upgrade from what they have had the last 4 years.

Last edited:

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Could imagine him in Baton Rouge, out from under Saban's thumb and working for his close friend? LOL! A sick part of me actually would like to see the move happen just to see the dumpster fire that situation would no doubt turn into.
Freshwater without a leash could be interesting.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.