Les Miles fired according to Sunday reports

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Now wait a second.

If Les lost a 'loser leaves town' match, then he isn't REALLY fired. This is where he comes back under a mask and wreaks havoc while his opponents complain, "That's LES MILES under that mask" and he wins out.

Problem with that is this: could any masked Les Miles wreak any more havoc with insane coaching decisions than Les?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Just thinking - I guess this means Saban is the coach that has been with his current school the longest in the SEC. He's processed an entire conference.

Saban: 10th season
Mullen: 8th season
Freeze and Sumlin: 5th season
Bielema, Malzahn, Stoops, Jones: 4th season
Mason: 3rd season
McElwain: 2nd season
Smart, Odom, Muschamp: 1st season
Since 3 of those other head coaches owe their careers to Saban, I would say that the conference has been Sabanized.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
They had Rece Davis on shortly after the firing was reported by ESPN. He made a point that was "different" from the other people who were throwing out speculation about the next coach of LSU. Rece said that we all think it's easy to win at LSU and rightfully so. But look at history. Outside of Saban and his residual impact on the program that has obviously run out. How many coaches have truly had great success coaching at LSU? Not many. He was hinting that though LSU has so many obvious advantages (recruiting base, no in state competition) it may not be that easy of a program to keep at an elite level. Because history suggest so. I thought it was a good and valid angle.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They had Rece Davis on shortly after the firing was reported by ESPN. He made a point that was "different" from the other people who were throwing out speculation about the next coach of LSU. Rece said that we all think it's easy to win at LSU and rightfully so. But look at history. Outside of Saban and his residual impact on the program that has obviously run out. How many coaches have truly had great success coaching at LSU? Not many. He was hinting that though LSU has so many obvious advantages (recruiting base, no in state competition) it may not be that easy of a program to keep at an elite level. Because history suggest so. I thought it was a good and valid angle.
IMO, the SEC is the conference that, more than any other, requires a truly elite head coach to win multiple national championships because of the level of competition week to week. Too many programs just don't get that. Saban and Meyer made it look too easy, but they are both elite head coaches. Either could have won just as many championships at LSU.

LSU needs to get lucky. Until then, they need to learn to cherish a head coach good enough to keep them in the hunt most years. You can burn through a lot of head coaches looking for a guy as good as Miles, and you may never hire a guy as good as Saban.

What probably tweaks them most of all - they had Saban, until they didn't.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Well I hear the grass tastes better on the other side. Does anyone know what his buy-out is?

I thought I'd recently heard that it's somewhere in the neighborhood of $10M...

Have not yet read past p. 2 of this thread, so others may have better info...

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
IMO, the SEC is the conference that, more than any other, requires a truly elite head coach to win multiple national championships because of the level of competition week to week. Too many programs just don't get that. Saban and Meyer made it look too easy, but they are both elite head coaches. Either could have won just as many championships at LSU.

LSU needs to get lucky. Until then, they need to learn to cherish a head coach good enough to keep them in the hunt most years. You can burn through a lot of head coaches looking for a guy as good as Miles, and you may never hire a guy as good as Saban.

What probably tweaks them most of all - they had Saban, until they didn't.
I think what Rece was getting at was, in general, LSU isn't a place that is as easy to win at as it's being made out to be. So don't be surprised if they don't soar back to national title contention with the next coach. Sure, an elite coach like Saban and Meyer can tilt the equation. But those type coaches are few and far between and odds are LSU won't hire a coach to their equivalent, or even close.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I thought I'd recently heard that it's somewhere in the neighborhood o $10M...

Have not yet read past p. 2 of this thread, so others may have better info...
12.9 minus what he has been paid this season. One if his paychecks would have put my son through college at UAH I bet. Why you cannot feel sorry for them. You can like them, but guys like Les probably have 20 mil in the bank. We should feel more sorry for the guy fired at the local factory.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Fired the second best coach they ever had.
Documentary on a Saban like LSU hire who died in a plane crash before his first game 1980. Could have saved them from the carousel years. Woody Hayes and Lou Holtz protege' Bo Rein. LSU was in position to dominate the 80's Post Bear, pre Spurrier. They had the Tom Herman of the day in the bag.

Last edited:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
A guy like Briles should not be allowed to take his failing in a scandal and parlay that into a promotion. If they do follow through with Briles, I am all for it. His teams dont play defense and just like Sumlin he will learn you cant just outscore opponents and win in this league.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We're already getting the "LSU shoulda been happy with Les Miles articles and they expect the impossible" articles from national writers. I don't buy that BS. Not one bit. LSU has won two national titles, played in another between two different coaches over the last decade and some change. They are justified to expect excellent football in Baton Rouge and Les Miles is no longer getting it done. Maybe they'll botch the next hire royally and set their football program back a decade in the process. Maybe they'll hire a great coach. But I know one thing, they're get further away from the stature they built over the last decade each year Les Miles stays there. He hit a wall where he's either unwilling or unable to adapt or out-work his opponents.

If we listened to the national pundits in 2006, we would've kept Shula around for a few more years and been giving Tennessee fans a run for the "this year is our year guys" money to this day.

BamaFanTN

3rd Team
Mar 1, 2011
Melbourne, FL
We're already getting the "LSU shoulda been happy with Les Miles articles and they expect the impossible" articles from national writers. I don't buy that BS. Not one bit. LSU has won two national titles, played in another between two different coaches over the last decade and some change. They are justified to expect excellent football in Baton Rouge and Les Miles is no longer getting it done. Maybe they'll botch the next hire royally and set their football program back a decade in the process. Maybe they'll hire a great coach. But I know one thing, they're get further away from the stature they built over the last decade each year Les Miles stays there. He hit a wall where he's either unwilling or unable to adapt or out-work his opponents.

If we listened to the national pundits in 2006, we would've kept Shula around for a few more years and been giving Tennessee fans a run for the "this year is our year guys" money to this day.
Disagree, this is more akin to UT firing Phil Fulmer. This may put them back significantly for several years if they don't land a big fish.

Shula thought I like him as a person had never won anything of consequence and had several very poor years. Miles until just recently always had LSU in the hunt at least.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.