Les Miles fired according to Sunday reports

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
UT didn't miss on their hiring of Lane Kiffin. They got a bad break that he wanted to go to the West Coast and his former employer of high repute opened up a year later. It is always a risk in making these decisions but LSU is on a downward slope and they have been for awhile now. It happened slowly at first but it is in full tailspin now. They can't even beat teams with no offensive capacity whatsoever.

They MIGHT end up with a bad hire and completely lose the framework for a winning program Saban established and Miles maintained for awhile BUT they're definitely not maintaining that framework by keeping Les Miles.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
We're already getting the "LSU shoulda been happy with Les Miles articles and they expect the impossible" articles from national writers. I don't buy that BS. Not one bit. LSU has won two national titles, played in another between two different coaches over the last decade and some change. They are justified to expect excellent football in Baton Rouge and Les Miles is no longer getting it done. Maybe they'll botch the next hire royally and set their football program back a decade in the process. Maybe they'll hire a great coach. But I know one thing, they're get further away from the stature they built over the last decade each year Les Miles stays there. He hit a wall where he's either unwilling or unable to adapt or out-work his opponents.

If we listened to the national pundits in 2006, we would've kept Shula around for a few more years and been giving Tennessee fans a run for the "this year is our year guys" money to this day.
I agree with the national writers. They won't get a better coach in my opinion.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
To everyone who think LSU should have kept Les:

If our HC retired today, would you want to replace him with Les Miles? Think about that.
But that's not even a good argument. Les Miles is 63 years old. Replacing Saban with him would be borderline insane. The bigger problem is that they should have either canned him last year or at the end of this year rather than doing it halfway and then going all the way.

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
.Petrino, like Pitino is not going anywhere. Yes he is deficient in some areas, but is in the top 20 of his profession, I'm not in my field. It would be a PR nightmare in coaching that I have ever seen, if he left Louisville AGAIN, and he knows what a PR nightmare is.

No way.
I'm inclined to agree if for no other reason I'm not sure LSU can afford both Miles' and Petrino's buyouts since reputedly the tab for unloading Miles is going to be $12.9 million and according to Jurich, Petrino's new contract he has just signed this year reset his buyout back to $10 million and boosted his salary to about $4.4 million. I suspect that in addition to LSU paying his buyout Petrino would require a substantial raise, and I'm not sure that LSU would be willing to commit to something in the area of $30 million.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't think it is Petrino for that very reason. They can probably throw whatever change Houston is demanding for the "damages" while still paying Miles. Honestly, it is probably installment based termination buyout and they can eat the cost over several years while paying whatever they have to pay to Houston in one lump sum. It's the cost of doing business and no SEC school in the the tier LSU lives is hurting for cash.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm inclined to agree if for no other reason I'm not sure LSU can afford both Miles' and Petrino's buyouts since reputedly the tab for unloading Miles is going to be $12.9 million and according to Jurich, Petrino's new contract he has just signed this year reset his buyout back to $10 million and boosted his salary to about $4.4 million. I suspect that in addition to LSU paying his buyout Petrino would require a substantial raise, and I'm not sure that LSU would be willing to commit to something in the area of $30 million.
With their financial straits, I'm not sure there's any way they even could...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
With their financial straits, I'm not sure there's any way they even could...
Without stepping over the line of Non-Sports, I think there was a considerable political play going on about that stuff last year that has absolutely nothing to do with the AD's capacity to foot the bill.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
If they do go with Briles I would think they would bring him on as the OC for the remainder of the season & that would give him the rest of the season to implement his system at LSU..Then make him the HC at the end of the season..But..I just can't see them touching Briles either though..

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
This is what I think---A current, active coach is at the top of their list but he will not do anything until the end of the season. LSU has put out feelers and know as much. They have a mutual understanding. They will seal the deal at the end of the season. LSU knew they would have to wait when they made this decision. Coach O will lead the team through the bowl game.

Last edited:

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
This is what I think---A current, active coach is at the top of their list but he will not do anything until the end of the season. LSU has put out feelers and know as much. They have a mutual understanding. They will seal the deal at the end of the season. LSU knew they would have to wait when they made this decision. Coach O will lead the team through the bowl game.

Calling Jimbo Fisher....

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
If they do go with Briles I would think they would bring him on as the OC for the remainder of the season & that would give him the rest of the season to implement his system at LSU..Then make him the HC at the end of the season..But..I just can't see them touching Briles either though..
Briles has a lot of legal cloudiness around him over Title IX issues. Nobody is going to allow that hire until all the facts around the Baylor case are brought to light. I wouldn't bet on him getting an opportunity until his name is cleared and that likely will not happen in this hiring cycle. Title IX is one of those things that schools just can't afford to play fast and loose with for the sake of wins in football. Briles is blackballed until there is a public knowledge about his involvement in all that Baylor sexual assault mess.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Calling Jimbo Fisher....
A lateral move at worst. Jimbo

2 types, Duboseian and Sabanisk. Jimbo is in the middle.

Duboseian after loss "We just got to put behind us and play fundamental football, get to the basics of blocking and tackling....play very play with execution. Stop the mental errors and play every play with execution........

Sabanisk- We got our arses handed to us by a better prepared and coached team and.... see you next week.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.