Les Miles fired according to Sunday reports

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Rumors have it that Fisher was ready to jump last fall, but the politics involved made it imprudent to fire Miles, and left Fisher with a bad taste in his mouth. While Fisher would be an upgrade, I think t this point he's a pipe dream for LSU...
Yeah that's why I said Calling Jimbo Fisher because of the fiasco last year. IMO Jimbo is a one trick pony when he had Winston. Bottom line is I feel LSU has made a big mistake firing Miles. I've said on here many times the The Hat would have had a pretty stellar resume if it weren't for a guy named Nick Saban. Oh well, who's the next coach that's going to be fired for losing to Gus this year? :rolleyes:

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
I say if he really is a competitor, he'll go to LSU. Staying at Houston because it's the 'easy' way to okay for championships isn't what a real competitor would do.

Some guys want to be the guy who builds a program like Houston and makes them into a power, but the elite jobs are called elite for a reason, and there's no question LSU is an elite gig. I guess we're about to find out how Herman is wired - join the b12 (which got left out of the first playoff) or jump in the deep end of the pool...
You, sir, are absolutely correct about this.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I remember hearing Saban talk about the Richt and Miles situation and ponder what they'd do to him at Alabama if he lost a few games. That was sad to hear, but it does represent a new reality in the SEC. If you combine the past three seasons, Les Miles went 19-10. Admittedly, that's not great, but that's in the SEC West. Within the SEC West he was 10-8. Now, that's not great either but is that fired in mid-season bad? Remember, that's 19-8 and 10-6 if you remove Alabama from the equation.

Mack Brown goes 17-9 in his past two seasons and was out of work. His replacement has gone 13-15. It's really hard to top Mark Richt though, and I'd admit that he did some weird stuff at QB, but he goes 19-6 and gets fired. Truth is Kirby Smart will be lucky if he has that record over the next couple of seasons.

I think LSU feels good about their situation right now in terms of looking for a head coach, may be they imagine Herman or Jimbo coming in and they have greater success. The truth is though, it's easier to go down from where they are at now than up. There's going to be a dud in there somewhere once team's make their new hires, and it can take years to recover from that. This will be interesting to watch.
I have the strangest feeling that LSU is about to wander in the wilderness for awhile.
If any school knows how that can happen, it's Bama after Coach Bryant retired. Until Coach Saban, the six or seven years under Coach Stallings was the only real stability we had from 1982 until 2007.
Contrary to popular belief it's going to be harder than they think to find a coach who wants to follow Saban and Miles in Bayou country in my opinion.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Another example of what can happen if you fire a football coach who has had success would probably be Phil Fulmer. He goes 29-21 his last four seasons at Tennessee. We can all agree that's not great. So, they fire a very successful coach. Then they go 22-27 under their next two coaches, to find their way back with a coach who is now 25-17 and if things go well can restore the program to the heights of the Fulmer era.

Now, think about that. They fire the 29-21 guy, endure losing seasons, then may be the new guy can turn out to be as good as Fulmer... The problem is all the SEC programs want winning records in the SEC but they on average are only going to be at .500.

Believe this or not, Some in the circle have said ORGERON !!!! when my contact told me that, I laughed !!!! I said WHY FIRE MILES THEN ?
What about Gundy? to LSU
I think both of those would be punts if not out right turnovers. A big part of this is the fact that Les recruited quite well at LSU. Even a marginally better coach might struggle more if he can't keep LSU near the top in recruiting.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I doubt they get the top tier coach they want. I've already said that. I think they'll have to settle for Fedora or someone similar. I also expect for there to be a fall off from where they've been the past 15 years or so.

There's also this: If I were a coach, would I really want to go to LSU after how they've treated Miles? Unless the money was just out of sight (compared to current salary) I would have to say maybe not.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Another example of what can happen if you fire a football coach who has had success would probably be Phil Fulmer. He goes 29-21 his last four seasons at Tennessee. We can all agree that's not great. So, they fire a very successful coach. Then they go 22-27 under their next two coaches, to find their way back with a coach who is now 25-17 and if things go well can restore the program to the heights of the Fulmer era.

Now, think about that. They fire the 29-21 guy, endure losing seasons, then may be the new guy can turn out to be as good as Fulmer... The problem is all the SEC programs want winning records in the SEC but they on average are only going to be at .500.

I think both of those would be punts if not out right turnovers. A big part of this is the fact that Les recruited quite well at LSU. Even a marginally better coach might struggle more if he can't keep LSU near the top in recruiting.

What is a program to do though? I was reading an article on ESPN by Ivan Maisel about other examples, besides Fulmer/Tennessee. Texas has struggled worse since Mack Brown than they did during his final seasons. Nebraska and Solich. Michigan after Loyd Carr (until now). But what were these programs to do? They had obviously reached the downhill slide of their careers, and their competitors were rapidly passing them by.

I guess my take away would be you better be sure of the replacement. The grass is certainly not always greener.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
What is a program to do though? I was reading an article on ESPN by Ivan Maisel about other examples, besides Fulmer/Tennessee. Texas has struggled worse since Mack Brown than they did during his final seasons. Nebraska and Solich. Michigan after Loyd Carr (until now). But what were these programs to do? They had obviously reached the downhill slide of their careers, and their competitors were rapidly passing them by.

I guess my take away would be you better be sure of the replacement. The grass is certainly not always greener.
I already mentioned Mack Brown as well. I think you addressed that with you final statement. I think they might be better off waiting to pull the trigger until they feel like they have a sure thing. For example, if a school has Chip Kelly or Jimbo lined up, I understand the move a lot more than I understand firing a proven coach and just hoping you improve.

I would like to say that I think the notion of a downhill slide in a career could be misguided. The problem is now these programs are not patient enough to give a coach a chance to pull out of an apparent slide. Sometimes sanity prevails though, Bobby Bowden wins 10 games in 3 out of 4 seasons, then he goes 30-15. Now that's not terrible, but is isn't far off what we've seen lately from Les either, is it (29-13)? The difference, FSU didn't fire Bobby and his best years were yet to come (he was 55 at this point in time by the way). What about Bear Bryant? Over a four year stretch he went 28-15! Once again, the best things were yet to come.

So, it is easy to argue that it's clear a coach is sliding after 3 or 4 rough years, but the best coaches of all time did the same thing and the ironic thing is they still had their best years ahead of them. Some of these ADs would have fired Bryant or Bowden, perhaps even put them into an earlier retirement. How idiotic would that have been? What's to say Fulmer, Miles or Mack wouldn't have managed the same thing? It's all speculation but we know in two of those cases the results have been teams getting worse and not better.

I think the answer to your question is pretty simple really. If you have a coach who has already shown he can take you to the elite level, you actually have very little to lose to stick with him an extra year or two, especially if you don't have another proven guy lined up. If that 4 year slide becomes a 6 year slide, ok get rid of him. But to me the risk/reward is not in favor of the team that's in a hurry to get rid of one of their all time best coaches.

Last edited:

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I have the strangest feeling that LSU is about to wander in the wilderness for awhile.
If any school knows how that can happen, it's Bama after Coach Bryant retired. Until Coach Saban, the six or seven years under Coach Stallings was the only real stability we had from 1982 until 2007.
Contrary to popular belief it's going to be harder than they think to find a coach who wants to follow Saban and Miles in Bayou country in my opinion.
I agree with you on this statement. With the addition of the CFP, coaches can build a program in any conference not named the SEC and content for a consistent playoff spot. Its bigger than football, its about having a program that wins consistently, and then after that ... you have to win the big one from time to time as well. Take Dabo for example ... he can have a winning record for the next 4 years and if he fails to take his team to the playoffs at least two of the next four years, there will be people to call for his job.

Shoot ... Coach Saban was almost in that scenario as well. 2015 was a pivotal season for him. With the success of several school with the spread offense (namely the school in west Georgia), folks were starting to wonder if the game was passing Saban by. But Saban like another great Bama coach did one thing that many coaches find it challenging to do ... he made necessary changes to the program to ensure its success. It will eventually come to an end but seeing what Saban has been able to do just makes me appreciate his focus even more.

But back on topic, they will have a have a hard time bringing in a coach in the SEC West that will be as competitive as the ones who are already here. And quite frankly, the Barn is going to be in the same boat.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
If anything Coach Saban has taught us is that what LSU needs is someone that realizes that "total control' is critical for success. You need a "stand up" guy, who can plan for any scenario. He needs to have a "minor" in Psychology.....as well as a knack for not only attracting the "blue chips" but also for finding the 3* guys that can evolve in to "difference makers". He needs to be able to adjust to the ever changing world of College Football....and sometimes make 'risky' hires -- and he cannot ever let the media take control of a press conference.....

Nevermind.....there aren't any guys out there like that.....at least not any "other" guys....

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I agree with you on this statement. With the addition of the CFP, coaches can build a program in any conference not named the SEC and content for a consistent playoff spot. Its bigger than football, its about having a program that wins consistently, and then after that ... you have to win the big one from time to time as well. Take Dabo for example ... he can have a winning record for the next 4 years and if he fails to take his team to the playoffs at least two of the next four years, there will be people to call for his job.

Shoot ... Coach Saban was almost in that scenario as well. 2015 was a pivotal season for him. With the success of several school with the spread offense (namely the school in west Georgia), folks were starting to wonder if the game was passing Saban by. But Saban like another great Bama coach did one thing that many coaches find it challenging to do ... he made necessary changes to the program to ensure its success. It will eventually come to an end but seeing what Saban has been able to do just makes me appreciate his focus even more.

But back on topic, they will have a have a hard time bringing in a coach in the SEC West that will be as competitive as the ones who are already here. And quite frankly, the Barn is going to be in the same boat.
He wasn't in the same state, much less the same ballpark of being fired.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.