Les Miles fired according to Sunday reports

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Despite the NC, I'm not sure I'd want to hire a coach who loses games by 43 points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you know Alabama once hired a coach who lost a game by 40 points and he did quite well?

September 9, 1995
Nebraska 50
Michigan St 10

That same season he lost another game by 31 points.

The very next year, he lost to Nebraska again - by 41 points.

So if you wouldn't hire a guy who lost ONE game by 43, would you hire a guy who lost TWO by 40 and 41? And for good measure, he lost another game that second year by 38 points.

Incidentally, it was LSU who hired him - and he promptly showed how terrible a coach he was by losing to UAB of all teams.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
And did he pay your mortgage?
I was responding to a post that said, "He wasn't even close to getting the job done." That is a flat lie. Since the BCSNC loss, LSU had Alabama on the ropes and almost won twice, 21-17 in 2012 and 20-13 in overtime in 2014. Win either of those games and LSU does well those seasons, and Miles is still employed at LSU.

In 2012, LSU was 7-1 going into the game and the winner of the game was going to play in the SECCG if they won out, and LSU would have been heavily favored to win out. Then it would have been a battle with GA for a shot at the BCSCG.

In 2014, LSU was 6-2 going into the game while Alabama was 7-1. Had LSU won, they would both have been 4-2 in SEC play and LSU would have had the inside track to play in the SECCG.

Yeah, he sucked. You guys need to think about just how close he really was all of those years. Without Saban, he dominates the SEC. There are certainly criticisms of Miles that are legit, but suggesting that he wasn't even close to getting it done is flat wrong.

Last edited:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Did you know Alabama once hired a coach who lost a game by 40 points and he did quite well?

September 9, 1995
Nebraska 50
Michigan St 10

So if you wouldn't hire a guy who lost ONE game by 43, would you hire a guy who lost TWO by 40 and 41? And for good measure, he lost another game that second year by 38 points.

Incidentally, it was LSU who hired him - and he promptly showed how terrible a coach he was by losing to UAB of all teams.
While I agree with 81's and your proposition that one game, or 3 for that matter, means little. But to be fair there was a dramatic difference in the state of the probation ravaged MSU program or the morbid LSU program and mature program FSU's preseason NC contender. Also, those 2 Neb teams are considered to be 2 of the greatest of all time. OTOH, points come a lot easier today. Again, I agree with your basic proposition though.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

September 9, 1995
Nebraska 50
Michigan St 10

I don't know who you're talking about here, but a guy with a record like that has no potential.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
While I agree with 81's and your proposition that one game, or 3 for that matter, means little. But to be fair there was a dramatic difference in the state of the probation ravaged MSU program or the morbid LSU program and mature program FSU's preseason NC contender. Also, those 2 Neb teams are considered to be 2 of the greatest of all time. OTOH, points come a lot easier today. Again, I agree with your basic proposition though.
But you just made the point we're all making stronger: LSU is far closer to the FSU of right now than to the probation-riddled Michigan St or nearly dead LSU and Alabama jobs. That weighs in favor of Fisher fwiw.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
His team was uninspired, all that talent. What if we were putting up 17 and 18 and LSU was putting up 40 every week. LSU is a more desirable job that many give credit imo. Better to make a change now than end of season. You get a head start.
I agree, because I think it would be an easier sell to Fisher, Herman or any other coach knowing there is an opening rather trying to sell whoever on if we have an opening. At the end of last season LSU either did not or could not pull the trigger on firing Miles which may have turned off most potential hires.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
LSU was never a desirable job until Coach Saban went there. He created a desirable job out of nothing. Les is a great guy but he rode his 10+ years back to almost where they were pre-Saban. LSU is supposed to be a 9-10 win team....that's ok. That's their role.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
And in the Slow News Day Department

Report: LSU Will “Gauge” Interest Of Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, Jimbo Fisher, Tom Herman

Roussel is reporting that his sources tell him LSU will “gauge” the interest

This isn't even news. I have no sources, and even I can figure out you at least call Sexton and ASK.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Spurrier lost by 36

Stoops lost by 26 in a game that was 48-10 heading in the 4th

Bear Bryant had losses of 31 and 25 points at Alabama

All three are hall of fame, or future hall of fame coaches, all three weren't on probation, and all three lost in the latter part of the year with these losses.

I really think you are overestimating the value of the LSU job, and overselling 1 game. LSU has been a dumpster fire historically depending on who the people in control are. Look at LSU from Billy cannon's run on Halloween night to CNS. The only bright spot in there had a really tragic event happening (Ryan). It's not the same program CNS built.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
And in the Slow News Day Department

Report: LSU Will “Gauge” Interest Of Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, Jimbo Fisher, Tom Herman

Roussel is reporting that his sources tell him LSU will “gauge” the interest

This isn't even news. I have no sources, and even I can figure out you at least call Sexton and ASK.
maybe today i will go to lunch at the cheetah and gauge the dancer's interest in me

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Well jimbo has never lost to UAB at home. You can't buy into one particular game out of many. Would I want him??? No, but that is more because of the fit, but he fits better at LSU.

Could Alabama realistically expect greatness when board members ran the show?

If you are saying that Brando's view that there is a back office power struggle is incorrect, then look no further than the fiasco that happened last year.
I think it is always overblown and an easy line to go to when things go sideways at a power school. Mal gave the interests the best coach in college football and it hasn't been a problem since.

scoretide

Suspended
Nov 26, 2010
Boaz, Alabama
Well jimbo has never lost to UAB at home. You can't buy into one particular game out of many. Would I want him??? No, but that is more because of the fit, but he fits better at LSU.

Could Alabama realistically expect greatness when board members ran the show?

If you are saying that Brando's view that there is a back office power struggle is incorrect, then look no further than the fiasco that happened last year.

NOPE ! Because they are some on here that think they are in the KNOW !!!! or they know everything ! I have found out the ones on here that think that way don't know anything, and would be horrible running the show. Saban is perfect for ALABAMA because he PUT HIS FOOT DOWN , and told the power people I run the show ! We got some on here that would get punched in the face , and do nothing about it, but ask for more !!!!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think it is always overblown and an easy line to go to when things go sideways at a power school. Mal gave the interests the best coach in college football and it hasn't been a problem since.
LSU's antics last year was reminiscent of Auburn's Jetgate. Do you doubt Auburn has serious control issues in the BOT, Dye's circle, and the millionaires pumping bookuus of $$$ into the program.

LSU is very similar, but not as bad because it doesn't have a Dye circle

Last edited:

scoretide

Suspended
Nov 26, 2010
Boaz, Alabama
His team was uninspired, all that talent. What if we were putting up 17 and 18 and LSU was putting up 40 every week. LSU is a more desirable job that many give credit imo. Better to make a change now than end of season. You get a head start.
I agree with what you stated, You will find out LES was told what to do ! Given a nudge here and there !!!!! I have a business partner (LIKE A SAID IN ANOTHER POST) who is a LSU INSIDER ! He did not want les fired, he agreed les was stubborn , , HE TOLD ME ! les was being controlled this year at LSU and AFTER THEY TRIED TO FIRE HIM LAST YEAR , LES could have cared less ! this is also why their OC was not let go , because les was given the power people the middle finger . After the WISCONSIN loss, they were ready to pull the plug, but didn't want the BAD PR ! All parties knew it was coming, I think LES (if he coach's again) could be awesome for somebody. No I can't stand LSWHO ! But I have meet les personally and he is a very approachable guy !

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I was responding to a post that said, "He wasn't even close to getting the job done." That is a flat lie. Since the BCSNC loss, LSU had Alabama on the ropes and almost won twice, 21-17 in 2012 and 20-13 in overtime in 2014. Win either of those games and LSU does well those seasons, and Miles is still employed at LSU.
Again, Les was 19-10 over the last three seasons. Only two of those losses came from Alabama. I'm not saying he sucked, but he was absolutely NOT getting it done.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
LSU's antics last year was reminiscent of Auburn's Jetgate. Do you doubt Auburn has serious control issues in the BOT, Dye's circle, and the millionaires pumping bookuus of $$$ into the program.

LSU is very similar, but not as bad because it doesn't have a Dye circle
I disagree, they didn't load up into the school jet to talk to the replacement last year. It was all 1 or 2 degrees removed type of communication. And when they decided it was over, they fired him instead of letting him hang around while they talk to replacements through agents and consultants.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I disagree, they didn't load up into the school jet to talk to the replacement last year. It was all 1 or 2 degrees removed type of communication. And when they decided it was over, they fired him instead of letting him hang around while they talk to replacements through agents and consultants.
They might as well been on a plane last year. After losing to Bama and Arky the rumors started to come up. Booger, Brando, and spears were all saying there was some real truth to that at the time. It wasn't into the next week in Oxford that everything was known. I'll remind you walking into Tuscaloosa LSU was 7-0 with the heisman front runner, and the next week your back office is rumored to being inquiring about jimbo fisher through jimmy sexton?

So no this wasn't a pull the trigger firing it was a long drawn out thing. Richt was a pull the trigger firing and les was a tommy tuberville type firing. The simple fact that all these back door discussions were so public and the the governor got involved shows a complete mess in the back office. Same as auburn without them actually landing in Tallahassee, but again they might has well.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Again, Les was 19-10 over the last three seasons. Only two of those losses came from Alabama. I'm not saying he sucked, but he was absolutely NOT getting it done.
When you only look at the W/L record, without considering the context of those seasons, you miss the forest for the trees. People who know a lot more about this than fans all think that Miles had to go, but not because of any of this. He had to go because he lost the support of the school administration after the loss to Alabama in 2014. He had to go because no one believed that he could beat Saban, and because the annual losses to Alabama killed each team's morale. The continued struggles this year stem from the loss last year - same players who just didn't believe anymore.

So, yeah, he had to go. I never suggested otherwise. But it is not because of his overall W/L record or his W/L record in the last 2.3 seasons. It is because no one on that campus believes that he can beat Saban anymore. Would a change in offensive philosophy have helped? I doubt it. It would only have bought him time until the Alabama game, which he would have lost, and then been fired.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.