Les Miles fired according to Sunday reports

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I say if he really is a competitor, he'll go to LSU. Staying at Houston because it's the 'easy' way to okay for championships isn't what a real competitor would do.

Some guys want to be the guy who builds a program like Houston and makes them into a power, but the elite jobs are called elite for a reason, and there's no question LSU is an elite gig. I guess we're about to find out how Herman is wired - join the b12 (which got left out of the first playoff) or jump in the deep end of the pool...
What's the hurry? Herman could stick around in Houston several more years and still be up for a high pressure top flight flagship program. There seem to be at least one or two every year. It's not like if Herman passes on LSU, he won't get any other top offers down the road.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
What's the hurry? Herman could stick around in Houston several more years and still be up for a high pressure top flight flagship program. There seem to be at least one or two every year. It's not like if Herman passes on LSU, he won't get any other top offers down the road.
It's always beneficial to strike while the iron's hot. His stock is sky high and likely to regress toward the mean at some point. There was a Rutgers coach not too long ago who was at the top of everybody's list, and it took me a while to even remember his name -- Greg Schiano. I had to look up what he's doing now (associate head coach and DC at Ohio State)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It's always beneficial to strike while the iron's hot. His stock is sky high and likely to regress toward the mean at some point. There was a Rutgers coach not too long ago who was at the top of everybody's list, and it took me a while to even remember his name -- Greg Schiano. I had to look up what he's doing now (associate head coach and DC at Ohio State)
Dan Mullen says hello.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I understand your point. But if Herman is going to start not doing as well at Houston as he has been doing (which I think is why you say he should strike while the iron is hot) then think about this...if he takes a better job, then instead of regressing while at Houston, he then regresses at a much higher pressure place. Which makes it all the more difficult to have success at his shiny new job.

If I was him, I would hold out for a job not playing Saban every year.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I understand your point. But if Herman is going to start not doing as well at Houston as he has been doing (which I think is why you say he should strike while the iron is hot) then think about this...if he takes a better job, then instead of regressing while at Houston, he then regresses at a much higher pressure place. Which makes it all the more difficult to have success at his shiny new job.

He may regress at Houston due to factors other than his coaching ability, which could then tarnish his image, and slow his career trajectory. There are also likely to be top tier coaching positions available to him other than in the SEC West. Helton's situation at USC is looking especially grim.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
He may regress at Houston due to factors other than his coaching ability, which could then tarnish his image, and slow his career trajectory. There are also likely to be top tier coaching positions available to him other than in the SEC West. Helton's situation at USC is looking especially grim.
It does appear at this point in the season that the highest profile most likely opening will be at USCw

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yah, but he can make generational money in just a few years at a top-tier school. If he regresses while at Houston he likely hurts his ability to make as money during his career.

I guess, but that highlights the difference between a hardcore competitor and your average person. I'm sure there are a few up-and-coming coaches who believe they can be the next Saban and want to match up against him as iron sharpens iron...

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Yah, but he can make generational money in just a few years at a top-tier school. If he regresses while at Houston he likely hurts his ability to make as money during his career.

I guess, but that highlights the difference between a hardcore competitor and your average person. I'm sure there are a few up-and-coming coaches who believe they can be the next Saban and want to match up against him as iron sharpens iron...
As P.T. Barnum used to argue, there is a plentiful supply of fools always available.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Tom Herman's stock is high PRIMARILY because of one game where he beat Nick Saban. (For those who don't know, he was also the OC on the Iowa State team in 2011 that beat Okie State and really helped us get back into the title picture that year). His Sagarin SOS last year was 90. This year - so far - it's 97.

I can think of at least two dozen coaches who could go 17-1 against the schedule Houston has played. I'll give you one who went 12-1 AT HOUSTON and turned it into a huge career boost - Kevin Sumlin.

Can any of you SERIOUSLY suggest to me that Sumlin is all that much better than Miles? Or that he's even better in any way?

And how much of Herman's success really had to do with the players Urban Meyer had?

Now - I don't know the whole situation and maybe Herman IS the next all-world football coach. But this has the chance to backfire spectacularly on LSU, too. Remember when Dennis Franchione turned one spectacular year at TCU (due mostly to LaDanian Tomlinson) and one really good year that didn't even count at Alabama into a huge contract at ATM? What about when Charlie Weiss turned a LOSS to USC into a huge contract extension?

There is a serious possibility they're reading way too much into the OU game.

Oh, and for those bringing up Hugh Freeze - why would LSU take that chance given the fact it was won with blood money?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
There were a number of people right here on this board questioning his ability to consistently beat Auburn until a few years ago, but I don't remember anyone suggesting that he be replaced.
And that bastion of infallibility Colin Cowherd

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Very good point

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Part of the role of an agent is to assist in helping their client make the best decision for them on a personal, business and career level. We as fans look through our fandom lenses and automatically say "Herman (insert any other coach) would be an idiot to turn down a chance to coach at LSU and the SEC." But in reality, is it truly the best decision (business wise, personal wise and career wise) for he and his family? A lot more goes into it than we think. Urban jumped head first off into the big bad SEC, had great success but realized it was too much. There's no doubt he and his agent figured out he could make the same amount of money, get more leisure time with his family, and still be in a position to win national titles. Without having to make the physical, mental and emotional sacrifices that it does to win titles going through the SEC. My guess would be Herman's agent and any other big named coach's agent will have the same type discussions.
Well said. It's interesting that elite powers are having more and more trouble hiring coaches away from lesser programs. Look at the difficulty ND, Texas and USC, all true bluebloods, have had in recent coaching hires. ND and USC, the last few searches, with multiple candidates turning them down. They all have unique, though not overwhelming, obstacles to overcome. 20 or 30 years ago that would have rarely been a problem.

TV money shared by all the P5, as well as almost universal TV exposure, has leveled the playing field considerably. Another factor is that the quick trigger pulled by many of the elite programs is giving some pause. As you were implying, security and quality of life are being recognized as very important factors to consider.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Houston probably might be a better job than it is now in 4 months. Brando is wrong on many points, but he is in the know at LSU. He said LSU has very similar problems that Alabama did in the 90s and early 2000's in which there were a lot of rich folks that hadn't played a down in college football calling the shots, and making decisions. He said Herman is better off staying where he is at and developing Houston into a Louisville type program, and wait for better offers. Basically he is saying there are far more back office problems than what is being reported and the only coach not named Nick Saban or urban Meyer that can succeed there is jimbo.

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
Per ESPN:

Since his first season at LSU in 2005, Les Miles has 42 wins over ranked opponents. In that span, only Nick Saban has more.
What makes CNS numbers more impressive is that for 2 of those years he was not a college coach. A more accurate comparison would be to start at 2007. CNS' number of wins won't change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Houston probably might be a better job than it is now in 4 months. Brando is wrong on many points, but he is in the know at LSU. He said LSU has very similar problems that Alabama did in the 90s and early 2000's in which there were a lot of rich folks that hadn't played a down in college football calling the shots, and making decisions. He said Herman is better off staying where he is at and developing Houston into a Louisville type program, and wait for better offers. Basically he is saying there are far more back office problems than what is being reported and the only coach not named Nick Saban or urban Meyer that can succeed there is jimbo.
Despite the NC, I'm not sure I'd want to hire a coach who loses games by 43 points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
People shill this same trite crap every time a formerly great coach on the decline gets canned. I don't buy it and nobody should. LSU should expect greatness and Les Miles was not providing it anymore.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They have a right to fire him. No one is arguing that point. But no one - not a single person - will be surprised if their next coach (or three) does significantly worse. Me - I like Miles so I now hope that LSU sucks for a decade or more.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.