Les Miles fired according to Sunday reports

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'd be surprised if their next coach is significantly worse than Les Miles. He wasn't even close to getting the job done. A team that talented should be losing 5 straight to us. There are less talented teams that have fared better than them against the us over the same time period. Unless Bama is coached by the Holy Trinity at HC, OC, and DC, a team with that much talent shouldn't lose 5 straight against us. Nick Saban is a great coach with a great staff but just look around...the only programs with longer losing streaks against us are Arkansas, Mississippi State, and Tennessee. LSU doesn't have a roster that looks like any of those over the time period.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'd be surprised if their next coach is significantly worse than Les Miles. He wasn't even close to getting the job done. A team that talented should be losing 5 straight to us. There are less talented teams that have fared better than them against the us over the same time period. Unless Bama is coached by the Holy Trinity at HC, OC, and DC, a team with that much talent shouldn't lose 5 straight against us. Nick Saban is a great coach with a great staff but just look around...the only programs with longer losing streaks against us are Arkansas, Mississippi State, and Tennessee. LSU doesn't have a roster that looks like any of those over the time period.
Are you drunk? Did Miles steal your girlfriend?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Miles was once a great coach. The game started changing around him and he was too stubborn to adapt. Saban adapted. That's why he's still a great coach. But it was no sure thing. I wasn't sure if Saban would change the offense but he did it right at the moment I started to wonder. He didn't try to make the Nussmeier approach work one more year...he saw the writing on the wall and made the move. I knew he was wanting to size down and speed up the defense but I was scared that the offense wouldn't flip around in time to make it pay off...but he did it.

I don't feel sorry for Miles, he wasn't cutting it. They had us dead to rights two seperate occasions in that losing streak and couldn't break the 20 point barrier to seal it away...and we made the plays to win. That is on him. With that much elite talent, you've got to come up with a way to cash in great defensive efforts by just breaking 20 against a great defense. Malzahn has done it before. Freeze has done it before. Meyer has done it before.

Furthermore, he promised a better approach on offense in 2016 and what did he give his team? An even worse offensive showing than before. He was regressing and unless they swing and miss on all of their top 2 or 3 candidates (and I don't think they will) then I find it hard to believe LSU could be worse off with present day Les Miles.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Miles was 19-10 from 2014-2016 and had at least three losses per season since 2011 - that's pretty awful for a program as stocked with talent as LSU is.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
The LSU job is one of the top 7 in country imo. I think they will have a lot of interest from the best coaches. Advantages of being the sole SEC team in a talent rich state that is nearly locked down. One of the best fan bases in the country. Herman, Briles, Freeze and Kiffin would all take serious interest. Many others.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
Miles was once a great coach. The game started changing around him and he was too stubborn to adapt. Saban adapted. That's why he's still a great coach. But it was no sure thing. I wasn't sure if Saban would change the offense but he did it right at the moment I started to wonder. He didn't try to make the Nussmeier approach work one more year...he saw the writing on the wall and made the move. I knew he was wanting to size down and speed up the defense but I was scared that the offense wouldn't flip around in time to make it pay off...but he did it.

I don't feel sorry for Miles, he wasn't cutting it. They had us dead to rights two seperate occasions in that losing streak and couldn't break the 20 point barrier to seal it away...and we made the plays to win. That is on him. With that much elite talent, you've got to come up with a way to cash in great defensive efforts by just breaking 20 against a great defense. Malzahn has done it before. Freeze has done it before. Meyer has done it before.

Furthermore, he promised a better approach on offense in 2016 and what did he give his team? An even worse offensive showing than before. He was regressing and unless they swing and miss on all of their top 2 or 3 candidates (and I don't think they will) then I find it hard to believe LSU could be worse off with present day Les Miles.
This may be the most honest and accurate post I have seen about the Les Miles era.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Miles was 19-10 from 2014-2016 and had at least three losses per season since 2011 - that's pretty awful for a program as stocked with talent as LSU is.
That's the problem, really. Everyone knows how heavily the larder is stocked there. It doesn't take a genius to see the difference between potential and results...

TampaTide813

Suspended
Dec 16, 2014
Just my .02. This is a horrible move by LSU. They have truly become unhinged by CNS. Miles is one helluva football coach. Yes, there have been a few down years but he is a top tier HC. Had we not beat his 2011 team in the BCSNCG, it would have been considered one of the best teams in CFB HISTORY!!!

All fans, including Bama's have unrealistic expectations. We have a the best coach in CFB but even our championship runs have required a little luck and surviving some close games. It took a 4th QTR comeback and an overtime game to get 2 of those last 5 wins over Miles. LSU fans and administrators will regret this move much like they are doing over in Athens right now and they did in Knoxville for the past decade.

To think that our fans were seriously talking about the game passing Saban by when we lost the IB on a fluke play and lost to OSU by 7 after blowing a big 1st quarter lead in 2 consecutive years is utterly ridiculous. We were literally a few plays away from 6 of 7 NCs. We have won so much over the past decade that I can remember every loss in detail and I'm no Selma.

I truly believe that CNS will retire before he has 2-3 "down" seasons in a row. However, if he was forced out because of that, I would be embarrassed to be a Bama fan.

Sent from my Y538 using Tapatalk

ROTYDE

All-American
Nov 10, 2003
Muscle Shoals got the Swampers
There is something to be said for good coaching. Seems I remember a quote I heard years ago about Coach Bryant, and I'm paraphrasing " he can take his and beat yours and he can yours and beat his".

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Just my .02. This is a horrible move by LSU. They have truly become unhinged by CNS. Miles is one helluva football coach. Yes, there have been a few down years but he is a top tier HC. Had we not beat his 2011 team in the BCSNCG, it would have been considered one of the best teams in CFB HISTORY!!!

All fans, including Bama's have unrealistic expectations. We have a the best coach in CFB but even our championship runs have required a little luck and surviving some close games. It took a 4th QTR comeback and an overtime game to get 2 of those last 5 wins over Miles. LSU fans and administrators will regret this move much like they are doing over in Athens right now and they did in Knoxville for the past decade.

To think that our fans were seriously talking about the game passing Saban by when we lost the IB on a fluke play and lost to OSU by 7 after blowing a big 1st quarter lead in 2 consecutive years is utterly ridiculous. We were literally a few plays away from 6 of 7 NCs. We have won so much over the past decade that I can remember every loss in detail and I'm no Selma.

I truly believe that CNS will retire before he has 2-3 "down" seasons in a row. However, if he was forced out because of that, I would be embarrassed to be a Bama fan.

Again, his teams have continued to underwhelm since 2011. With his recruiting classes, his teams should have been better. Simple as that.

He almost was fired last year for a pitiful offense. He spent all summer talking about how the offense was improved. It was a pathetic four games from Cam Cameron's group.

People in Athens are regretting the Kirby hire? Really? Debatable those in Knoxville regretted the Fulmer firing prior to Kiffin leaving for USC.

Why do so many want to act like there was some massive portion of the fanbase in 2013 shouting "Game has passed Saban by! Time to move on?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Les Miles for President ! He's available, blacks and whites love him, he's strong on defense, he's used to congratulating Nick Saban every year and he's a decent human being.

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
I like Les. I believe college football wanted Les to succeed. He is quirky, seems to be a good guy, and good for college football. But LSU made the right choice here IMO. I believe he is guilty of hubris. The difference for 2016 I believe he thought would be in the outcome or the record while not changing his approach to the game as others have stated....win on sheer talent applying his scheme. For all I know he may still believe his approach should have worked and maybe like Brian Kelly believes the outcome had nothing to do with coaching. Change can be hard but those that adapt are the ones that survive. Bear was innovative and changed. I believe Bear even forced change at times so he could win. Nick Saban has done the same. You could tell Nick wasn't thrilled with the way the game was going by his comments but he went with it and adapted. Les was a great coach for an era but that era is gone and now so is Les at LSU although I am sure we have not seen the last of him and for that I am thankful.

Last edited:

scoretide

Suspended
Nov 26, 2010
Boaz, Alabama

100% agree !

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
100% agree !
His team was uninspired, all that talent. What if we were putting up 17 and 18 and LSU was putting up 40 every week. LSU is a more desirable job that many give credit imo. Better to make a change now than end of season. You get a head start.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Despite the NC, I'm not sure I'd want to hire a coach who loses games by 43 points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well jimbo has never lost to UAB at home. You can't buy into one particular game out of many. Would I want him??? No, but that is more because of the fit, but he fits better at LSU.
People shill this same trite crap every time a formerly great coach on the decline gets canned. I don't buy it and nobody should. LSU should expect greatness and Les Miles was not providing it anymore.
Could Alabama realistically expect greatness when board members ran the show?

If you are saying that Brando's view that there is a back office power struggle is incorrect, then look no further than the fiasco that happened last year.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.