2016 Presidential Debates

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Didn't watch last night but have seen highlights. What an embarrassment to this country. I am not an Obama fan, can't stand him but, I still respect the office that he holds. I'm not sure I'll be able to say that with either of these 2 idiots in that office. I don't know or care who one that stupid debate but, I know who lost... every single one of us.

I'm republican and I'm am desperately looking for positive reasons to vote for Trump but, at every turn he just gives me more reason to not vote for him. His views against net neutrality and data encryption scare me and those are very important issue for me.

It's just sad that this is the best our political system could come up with to fill this office.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Trump will not win Pennsylvania, I don't care what the polls say. It is the most unionized state in the country and you can take it to the bank that the union bosses will have their machines out on election day herding the votes for Hillary. It has not gone republican in a presidential election in over a generation((1988 in Reagan's 'third term' w/GHWB). And with early voting being what it is in Florida, I'd be very, very surprised if he can prevail there. I'd give Trump less than a 40% chance of actually winning Florida.
I don't think I can disagree with anything said here. Every four years we're given this suggestion "this is the year the Republicans win PA," but it never happens.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
These debates (note: not just this year either) are a lot like college football. If your person did well, he(she) is the best, number one, the champ, blah blah. If your person lost, it's because of something sinister that made for an unlevel playing field (e.g. they're paying players) - and likewise, you can make the charge based on nothing more than wishful thinking. Every single little bump is elevated to decisive. Oh, and you wind up pulling for someone you don't even like because you so emotionally hate the other one that bad (like all the fans who really don't care for any team but pull for all Alabama opponents - or USC opponents a decade ago and Nebraska opponents a decade before that).

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
These debates (note: not just this year either) are a lot like college football. If your person did well, he(she) is the best, number one, the champ, blah blah. If your person lost, it's because of something sinister that made for an unlevel playing field (e.g. they're paying players) - and likewise, you can make the charge based on nothing more than wishful thinking. Every single little bump is elevated to decisive. Oh, and you wind up pulling for someone you don't even like because you so emotionally hate the other one that bad (like all the fans who really don't care for any team but pull for all Alabama opponents - or USC opponents a decade ago and Nebraska opponents a decade before that).
This election is like FSU v Awbarn for me.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I heard a great point yesterday. She unloaded her gun in the first debate. She went after him on everything she could. He held back on emails, Benghazi, her husbands issues with Women, Whitewater, collecting millions from foreign leaders for 20 minute speeches, and so on...

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I have to comment on this big kerfuffle over Trump and his actions towards Miss Universe in 97 and her weight gain. This seems to me to be a case of PC gone wild. This woman was not a regular employee in his office, that would be a totally different matter. She was a woman who got to where she is almost solely on body image by parading in front of cameras and pageant judges and showing it off. IMO, in this case, she had a duty as Miss Universe to maintain what got her there in the first place.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I heard a great point yesterday. She unloaded her gun in the first debate. She went after him on everything she could. He held back on emails, Benghazi, her husbands issues with Women, Whitewater, collecting millions from foreign leaders for 20 minute speeches, and so on...
You may not like it, but there's plenty of remaining fodder. Trump isn't exactly a difficult target to hit.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
did you get dizzy from listening to that?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I have to comment on this big kerfuffle over Trump and his actions towards Miss Universe in 97 and her weight gain. This seems to me to be a case of PC gone wild. This woman was not a regular employee in his office, that would be a totally different matter. She was a woman who got to where she is almost solely on body image by parading in front of cameras and pageant judges and showing it off. IMO, in this case, she had a duty as Miss Universe to maintain what got her there in the first place.
i can think of very few (if any) instances where it is ok to call a woman miss piggy because she gained weight, especially publicly.

but maybe trump can lead the charge to save us all from the pc tyranny that says we shouldn't tell women that we think they are fat and unattractive.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
IMO, in this case, she had a duty as Miss Universe to maintain what got her there in the first place.
I didn't see this until 92tide quoted it but I just gotta say, did someone hack Bamaro's account? That line blew my mind, lol.

I don't know the story behind this comment and won't pretend but it usually doesn't end well to start talking to women about their duty in the world. Although I could use more sammiches.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I did not watch the debate, but I know who won even without seeing it: Hillary obviously won. I know this because Trump's media folks are the only side suggesting problems with the mic, moderator bias (even if true, if you win it doesn't matter), that he shouldn't do future debates, and saying he witheld stuff.

Well - that means you lost, plain and simple - at least in the perceptions game of verbal sparring. It doesn't mean he didn't win among the electorate (and may have actually been helped because HRC has so dogmatically asserted he's 'unqualified' that he has a minimal threshold to pass).

On the latter, who knows, but it's clear to me she must have won based on what the political strategies are right now.

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
I ended up watching some of it, as the wife wanted to tune in so we did. The impression I had beforehand was reinforced and is summed up in this meme I saw recently. It's probably been out there since these two won their primaries. Anyway, if you enjoyed the Harry Potter books/movies, here you go:

As a father to a 12-year-old Harry Potter fan, I've seen these movies waaaaaay too much. Thus I feel compelled to respond: those two characters are terrible analogies for the presidential candidates. If anything:

Hillary Clinton = Hermione Granger. Hermione is prim, sanctimonious, socially awkward, and disguises an innate lack of talent with hard work and iron discipline.

Donald Trump = Draco Malfoy. Draco is cruel and malicious, but only because he has a need for others to admire him.

Of the two, only one is fit for office ...

Whew, I'm glad I have that off my chest.

:patriot:

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I did not watch the debate, but I know who won even without seeing it: Hillary obviously won. I know this because Trump's media folks are the only side suggesting problems with the mic, moderator bias (even if true, if you win it doesn't matter), that he shouldn't do future debates, and saying he witheld stuff.

Well - that means you lost, plain and simple - at least in the perceptions game of verbal sparring. It doesn't mean he didn't win among the electorate (and may have actually been helped because HRC has so dogmatically asserted he's 'unqualified' that he has a minimal threshold to pass).

On the latter, who knows, but it's clear to me she must have won based on what the political strategies are right now.
Selma, I watched the whole thing. To me, Clinton didn't so much go out and knock it out of the park as she simply allowed Trump to hang himself over and over again. Trump was Trump - talking WAAAYYYY too much when he should shut his trap, and then letting her skate on the things that he should have hammered her on. I kept thinking the whole time "If the Republicans had a REAL candidate on the podium, he/she could have slaughtered Clinton in this debate."

I came into it with the mindset that I'm not voting for either one and the debate simply reinforced that for me.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
i can think of very few (if any) instances where it is ok to call a woman miss piggy because she gained weight, especially publicly.

but maybe trump can lead the charge to save us all from the pc tyranny that says we shouldn't tell women that we think they are fat and unattractive.
I'm not defending his childish habit of name calling which is a regular part of his persona. I'm just saying he shouldn't be criticized for saying that Miss Universe, who became Miss Universe by parading around showing off her bod, should lose weight because she put on pounds after being crowned. After all it was her bod that got her there in the first place. Whats fair is fair.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I'm not defending his childish habit of name calling which is a regular part of his persona. I'm just saying he shouldn't be criticized for saying that Miss Universe, who became Miss Universe by parading around showing off her bod, should lose weight because she put on pounds after being crowned. After all it was her bod that got her there in the first place. Whats fair is fair.
then don't criticize him, but i will continue to do so.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
There is a fairly large difference between saying "Hey as Miss Universe you need to maintain a body image that is in line with what is expected for a beauty pagent." and inviting reporters to ambush the contestant at a workout that she did not know was going to be open to the press while explaining that she really was working to get off the pounds.

There are things that Trump does that seem sensible. It is in the how, that is so despicable.

Guardian Article

Guardian Article said:
Trump’s treatment of Machado reached its nadir in January 1997 when, having put the recently crowned Miss Universe on a stringent diet and exercise regime, he scheduled a trip with her to a New York City gym. There he blindsided her with dozens of cameramen, who gathered to film her jumping rope, lifting weights and pedaling a stationary bike. Trump cast himself in the role of disapproving dad, leaning over Machado as she hid her mortification behind a show of charms only the world’s top beauty queen could have mustered, laughing along with reporters and even once planting a kiss on Trump’s cheek.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.