2016 Presidential Debates

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Here is the schedule:

First presidential debate (Mon, Sept. 26)
Vice presidential debate (Tues, Oct. 4)
Second presidential debate (Sun, Oct. 9)
Third presidential debate (Wed, Oct. 19)

=============

First presidential debate (Monday, September 26, 2016, Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY)

Moderator: Lester Holt, Anchor, NBC Nightly News

The debate will be divided into six time segments of approximately 15 minutes each on major topics to be selected by the moderator and announced at least one week before the debate.

The moderator will open each segment with a question, after which each candidate will have two minutes to respond. Candidates will then have an opportunity to respond to each other. The moderator will use the balance of the time in the segment for a deeper discussion of the topic.

All debates will be moderated by a single individual and will run from 9:00-10:30 p.m. Eastern Time without commercial breaks. As always, the moderators alone will select the questions to be asked, which are not known to the candidates. The moderators will have the ability both to extend the segments and to ensure that the candidates have equal speaking time. While the focus will properly be on the candidates, the moderator will regulate the conversation so that thoughtful and substantive exchanges occur.

===========

More on the debate rule information can be found here.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Tonight's debate per Lester Holt:

The three topics to be discussed during the debate, held at Hofstra University in New York, will be "America's Direction," "Achieving Prosperity," and "Securing America," per a release from the Commission on Presidential Debates.

The debate format calls for six 15-minute time segments, and each of the topics will take up two of the six time slots. The debate will start at 9 p.m. next Monday and will run for 90 minutes without any commercial interruption.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I find it interesting that there will be no commercial breaks. I don't know how they managed that.....given all the potential $$ to be made by the networks from an event this yuge.

Also from what I understand, Hillary's campaign request for a mini stool for her to appear closer to Trump's height was rejected. But they are going to give her a shorter podium.

It seems like this event will be a test of each person's endurance to some degree.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Tonight's debate will be aired on all major networks. For those without access, it will also be streamed live on YouTube.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I won't tune in because I never do. I DO think - because of Trump - this has to potential to NOT be the usual scripted affair.

The partisans will be here tonight on both sides insisting their side nuclear bombed the other one out of existence. (The partisans never watch the debate, they watch what they EXPECT the debate to be).

On the other hand, I'm unpersuadable. Some folks will tune in for the entertainment. But the idea that a debate determines the President is lost in the myth of 1960 and has never happened (in reality - not even then). My goodness, the most colossal whipping I ever witnessed was Bentsen murdering Quayle (and I was a member of the College Republicans at the time, and even I couldn't muster any defense of Quayle's ineptitude) - and the Bush campaign actually INCREASED its lead before the next debate.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
For those who won't be watching, I'm guessing you won't be voting either. In which case, you also won't need to complain about the next POTUS, whomever he or she might be, or the policies he/she enacts.

Imo that's why this country is in it's present condition. Too many people who think their own everyday lives are too important to be inconvenienced by such a trivial matter as a Presidential election.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
For those who won't be watching, I'm guessing you won't be voting either. In which case, you also won't need to complain about the next POTUS, whomever he or she might be, or the policies he/she enacts.

Imo that's why this country is in it's present condition. Too many people who think their own everyday lives are too important to be inconvenienced by such a trivial matter as a Presidential election.
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice"......

Neil Peart....

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007

George Carlin: “I have solved this political dilemma in a very direct way: I don’t vote. On Election Day, I stay home. I firmly believe that if you vote, you have no right to complain. Now, some people like to twist that around. They say, ‘If you don’t vote, you have no right to complain,’ but where’s the logic in that? If you vote, and you elect dishonest, incompetent politicians, and they get into office and screw everything up, you are responsible for what they have done. You voted them in. You caused the problem. You have no right to complain. I, on the other hand, who did not vote — who did not even leave the house on Election Day — am in no way responsible for that these politicians have done and have every right to complain about the mess that you created.”

When there is someone worth voting for I will vote and do (mostly on the local stage). Since there isn't I will not. You can judge me from your Ivory Tower with your I Voted sticker if you want it doesn't really bother me. I'm not voting for the lesser of two evils because I don't vote for evil. And I have every right to complain about what idiots get trotted out with an R or a D next to their name and all the lemmings that fall off the cliff right behind them as much as any American has the right to complain about anything.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I will not be voting for either of these hacks, so there is no point in torturing myself by watching what will amount to nails scratching a chalk board for 2 hours.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

i won't be watching tonight (i rarely watch debates) and i vote in every single election local and national.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

debates are for people who haven't made up their mind yet

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Most people have already made up their minds, in my opinion.

Seems to me the debates are more of an opportunity for either or both of the candidates to screw up.

In that sense....people will watch just like they do a NASCAR race.....hoping to see some wrecks!

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC

I don't think my liver could take what I'd have to do to it to get through this. I don't care what they have to say, my mind is already made up and I'm not voting for either of these jokers.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

I'll be voting for someone else so why watch these 2 idiots?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.