News Article: The Sabanization of the SEC is now entirely complete

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Saban becomes the longest-tenured SEC coach with Miles' departure. Thirty-three coaches at 13 other schools have coached in the SEC since Saban arrived in 2007.

Saban becomes the only SEC coach with a national title as a head coach. Back in 2008, there were five SEC coaches with a national title (Urban Meyer, Philip Fulmer, Steve Spurrier, Miles and Saban) plus another with a perfect season (Tommy Tuberville).

Saban becomes one of only two current head coaches with an SEC championship, along with Gus Malzahn, who might have been out of a job instead of Miles had LSU gotten a snap off on time Saturday. Saban has won 76 percent of his career SEC games; the rest of the SEC coaches have combined to win 44 percent.
http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...because-he-refused-to-evolve-like-nick-saban/

RTR!

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
It's a long list of coaches 'PROCESSED' by Coach Saban. Gonna get longer.
Some very good coaches have left the SEC because they aren't Coach Saban.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
33 coaches? That's crazy. I'd love to see a list and breakdown by school... Wonder if that includes say, Sherman getting ousted at A&M before joining the SEC.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think Saban is not as much of a part in these stats as you'd think. Bryant ran this conference for over two decades yet several guys made a career within their station in the pecking order. The difference is the access to sport due to cable contracts. It has increased the fanbase exposure, encouraged more booster support, etc because you can actually see your school play almost every game. When you're struggling, everyone sees it in detail. You don't hear about an 18-13 loss @Auburn other than second hand in the Sunday paper and unless you're local to the team there might not even be a full breakdown of the action. You see the gory details of the meltdown live as it is happening.

Saban is a aggravating factor but really this is about exposure increasing the pressure on large state school coaches to succeed in their job. Coaches like Saban have always existed in this game but they didn't lord over everyone else's job security in an age where a coach might have his team on national television once a year (if that).

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I think Saban is not as much of a part in these stats as you'd think. Bryant ran this conference for over two decades yet several guys made a career within their station in the pecking order. The difference is the access to sport due to cable contracts. It has increased the fanbase exposure, encouraged more booster support, etc because you can actually see your school play almost every game. When you're struggling, everyone sees it in detail. You don't hear about an 18-13 loss @Auburn second hand in the Sunday paper where unless you're local to the team there might not even be a full breakdown of the action. You see the gory details of the meltdown live as it is happening.

Saban is a aggravating factor but really this is about exposure increasing the pressure on large state school coaches to succeed in their job. Coaches like Saban have always existed in this game but they didn't lord over everyone else's job security in an age where a coach might have his team on national television once a year (if that).
Saban creates the unrealistic expectations that other universities hold their coaches to. So he is the factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
33 coaches? That's crazy. I'd love to see a list and breakdown by school... Wonder if that includes say, Sherman getting ousted at A&M before joining the SEC.
Arkansas: 3 (Nutt, Petrino, Smith)
Auburn: 2 (Tuberville, Chizik)
Florida: 3 (Meyer, Muschamp, Durkin)
Georgia: 1 (Richt)
Kentucky: 2 (Brooks, Phillips)
LSU: 1 (Miles)
Ole Miss: 2 (Oregon, Nutt)
MSU: 1 (Croom)
USCe: 2 (Spurrier, Elliott)
10rc: 3 (Fulmer, Kiffin, Dooley)
Vandy: 3 (Johnson, Caldwell, Franklin)

I got 23 Saban has outlasted, plus the current 13, that brings us to 36.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I actually count 34 coaches since Saban's arrival in 2007:

Arkansas (4)
Houston Nutt
Bobby Petrino
John L. Smith
Brett Beilema

Auburn (3)
Tommy Tubberville
Gene Chizik
Gus Malzahn

Florida (3)
Urban Meyer
Will Muschamp
Jim McElwain

Georgia (2)
Mark Richt
Kirby Smart

Kentucky (3)
Rich Brooks
Joker Phillips
Mark Stoops

LSU (1)
Les Miles

Mississippi State (2)
Sly Croom
Dan Mullen

Missouri (2)
Gary Pinkel
Barry Odom

Ole Miss (3)
Ed Orgeron
Houston Nutt
Hugh Freeze

South Carolina (2)
Steve Spurrier
Will Muschamp

Tennessee (4)
Phil Fulmer
Lane Kiffin
Derek Dooley
Butch Jones

Texas A&M (1)
Kevin Sumlin

Vanderbilt (4)
Bobby Johnson
Robbie Caldwell
James Franklin
Derek Mason

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I heard something that might explain why so many quality coaches have either quit or been fired in the SEC since Saban arrived at Alabama:

The road to disappointment is paved with unrealistic expectations.

There is only one Nick Saban, and he may be the best ever. It simply isn't realistic to expect these other coaches to match Saban, on the field or off. But that won't stop fans or administrations from doing so.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
The entire SEC has officially been "Processed" & now we're working on pretty much the rest of college football..I honestly think Coach Saban has another 7-10yrs in him as Bama's HC to shatter all HC'ing records or the ones that doesn't involve HC's that's involved 40yrs of coaching at one school..

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Saban creates the unrealistic expectations that other universities hold their coaches to. So he is the factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh it's definitely a factor but I don't think it could happen without the amount of coverage cfb gets now.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I actually count 34 coaches since Saban's arrival in 2007:
I just counted those he outlasted, if you add the 23 I counted with the current 13, that's 36...

They may not have been counting the interim coaches such as Elliott, Smith, and Durkin - that would make 33.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I just counted those he outlasted, if you add the 23 I counted with the current 13, that's 36...

They may not have been counting the interim coaches such as Elliott, Smith, and Durkin - that would make 33.
I took the quote to mean a guy who started and ended at least one season as the head coach, so I didn't count the interims like Durkin or Elliot but did count John L Smith and Caldwell. Either way, I'm not sure where they get 33.

Thirty-three coaches at 13 other schools have coached in the SEC since Saban arrived in 2007.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I took the quote to mean a guy who started and ended at least one season as the head coach, so I didn't count the interims like Durkin or Elliot but did count John L Smith and Caldwell. Either way, I'm not sure where they get 33.

I wonder if the article is only counting Muschamp once, as opposed to once for each school.

OakMtn4Bama

All-American
Jan 10, 2007
Trussville
I think Saban is not as much of a part in these stats as you'd think. Bryant ran this conference for over two decades yet several guys made a career within their station in the pecking order. The difference is the access to sport due to cable contracts. It has increased the fanbase exposure, encouraged more booster support, etc because you can actually see your school play almost every game. When you're struggling, everyone sees it in detail. You don't hear about an 18-13 loss @Auburn other than second hand in the Sunday paper and unless you're local to the team there might not even be a full breakdown of the action. You see the gory details of the meltdown live as it is happening.

We used to get one game a week on Saturday. Wait til Sun for write up in Bham News. Then Bear's show. One reason why it was so popular. Only chance to see the team.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

I agree with your description of the other factors, but I believe they are the aggravating factors and Saban is the primary factor. And it is soley at the schools that have high expectations, as well as AU. I don't believe Saban had anything to do with the changes at Vandy, UK, So Car, OM, MSU, Mo or even Ark and UT (Ark and UT are special cases). But I believe it had everything to do with Meyer, Tuberville, Chizik, Richt and Miles, because Saban kept blocking UF, UGA and LSU from achieving what they could have had if not for Alabama, as well as the future threat he posed; for AU it is their eternal striving to be relevant as they live in Alabama's shadow and Bama lives in their heart and mind. I don't even think it had anything to do with CWM's firing at UF, because was so inept that much more than Bama stood in his way. But all of the big dogs (coach+school), as well as AU, have been directly affected. Two (UF and UGA) of them have already bowed by subscribing to the adage ,"if you can't beat them, join them" 😊.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.