News Article: Blake Barnett quit the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Re: Blake Barnett Transferring

Yes, I would. I have never allowed my boys to quit anything for a reason. Quitting is hard the first time that you do it, but it gets easier and easier as you do it again and again. Quitters are quitters for life.
My son had a breakdown and got homesick as a freshman at UA (200 MILES), cost me over $8,000 down the tube. He had anxieties. I was ....ed, but I let him enroll at UA (Huntsville), the next semester and he will graduate this semester as an electrical engineer and already has a job with lockeed Martin.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

My son had a breakdown and got homesick as a freshman at UA (200 MILES), cost me over $8,000 down the tube. He had anxieties. I was ....ed, but I let him enroll at UA (Huntsville), the next semester and he will graduate this semester as an electrical engineer and already has a job with lockeede Martin.
Dude, that isn't quitting. That is leaving school because he was sick. Holding that against him would be like calling your son a quitter because he got into a car accident and couldn't play anymore. Not the same thing.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

The only breakdown Barnett had was when he saw the depth chart. Not the same by a mile.
I am not condoning. Some of these comments are premature imo. With that, good luck Barnett. You left a great program.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

Are you still bitter after him not playing more after the first two games?

How can he go JUCO now? I suspect it's too late to enroll in classes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ok, I'll bite. Bitter about playing time? No because I have faith in the coaches. I am a little disappointed in a few fans however.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012

Some of you know on here know I'm a military guy. I'm reading this and it just enrages me. I'm sure he has his reasons. This may well be what he and the coaches thought was best for him long term. It's just the timing of it. There are guys his age that sign up for far crappier situations, knowing it's gonna be worse from the offset. This guy signed up for a spot on a team, which I don't mean to presume, but I want to believe was made very clear from day 1, that the BEST PLAYER PLAYS....not the guy that thinks he's the best player, not the one with the highest ranking, etc. You EARN your spot, or you get to sit in the back of the bus.

You don't quit. I don't know if him quitting now means he can play/sit at JUCO and start playing immediately next year. If so, then I guess I'm wrong, and his quitting can be "validated." If his quitting now means that he doesn't play the rest of this year AND next season and gets to start the year after......then yeah, I'll stick to my rage.

You signed up. You committed. When things don't work out, you stick it out, like men do, and then you move on with lessons learned. I hope that this decision was made so that it will allow him to actually play next year. Otherwise, I'll spend my days regarding his team lower than I would Auburn or Tennessee until the time he leaves them

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

What a crappy thing to do to your teammates a third of the way through a season. Why not finish the year in case your starter gets injured? Doesn't cost you a bit of eligibility.
Agreed. What ever happened to sticking to your commitments?

Whatever, if this is his 'competitive nature', good riddance.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA

Well, in this age of instant gratification, I guess kids just can't wait their turn, or maybe try a little harder to be the best. I can understand BB wanting to leave if, after the season, it's clear that he's not going to take over the starting job. But there's a lot that could happen between now and the end of the season. Have you ever heard of patience, or considered how much extra practice etc you will get the rest of this year. The one thing you don't do, is bail on your team just when they're getting going good. That's just a total disregard for your teammates. I guess BB doesn't understand there's no "I" in team. Krymsonman

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Blake Barnett Transferring

I don't blame him..he can start for pretty much any team. I wish it was after the season though...I liked having a good backup QB just in case of injuries. I wish him the best.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC

Ain't gonna read 8 pages of comment so this may have already been said but if he quits 4 games in he wasn't willing to put in the work and/or incapable relative to performance and/or mental aptitude. To me explains why he didn't win the job in the first place.

But good luck to him wherever he ends up. Unless of course........................

RTR!!!

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

Its a recruiting spot that could have gone to someone else. Now its gone.
What's more troubling to me is the gap he and Jalen have/had over the other quarterbacks. I had comfort knowing the guy that threw the 3 best passes of the year, imo, was there if needed.

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL

I guess if it was Cornwell leaving, it wouldn't be much of an issue

But seriously, BB wasn't touching the feild as long as JH is healthy and next year with another QB coming, he may as well start looking at other options but to leave like that shows the character in that guy. I got it, you want to put yourself in position to benefit but in all honesty, what did BB do that was worthy enough for him to win the job?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN

Question: Does he finish the academic semester and keep the credit hours if he's already left the team? Seems like a raw deal for the University if he can abandon his athletic commitment mid-season while reaping the other benfits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.