News Article: Blake Barnett quit the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Blake Barnett Transferring

Not at all. But then again, if I'm not mistaken, he was getting paid millions of dollars to bring back the program.
That's a pathetic comparison.
Nope - BB was given a full ride ALABAMA. He quit on his team as surely as Fran did. If the "pay" wasn't satisfactory, he should have stayed out west.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

Even at a San Diego State or some of the schools I've seen mentioned, he has a much better chance to help himself and his football career, and that's ALL he should be worried about.
Everybody has to follow their heart to have a chance to achieve their dreams.
Very true, once you are on the NFL radar, which Blake was when he won the Elite 11 camp, and with his arm, he can go to to basically any decent school and get scouted well. As we know, winning NC's at Alabama does not mean as much as other tangibles the scouts look at.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga

I'm having a hard time not feeling like this. Not gonna hurt to wait till the season is over and he might leave with another ring.
You have got to be kidding me. You guys are being too nice. He is no longer a player for Alabama and deserves to be ripped apart for this. He was your backup QB. If your starter gets hurt, he has effectively destroyed your season. I have no idea where he will go, but if this is true I hope that he never sees the field again.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Very true, once you are on the NFL radar, which Blake was when he won the Elite 11 camp, and with his arm, he can go to to basically any decent school and get scouted well. As we know, winning NC's at Alabama does not mean as much as other tangibles the scouts look at.
Agreed. I think Jalen has a shot at winning four national titles, as a QB at Bama, but he has a lot of improvement to do as a passer, before the NFL would ever even consider him. Blake's gonna be allright. He's got the arm, and that's really all that matters on Sundays.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Blake honestly has the potential to develop into an NFL Quarterback prospect. He's 6'5, will add weight and strength, and is a really outstanding passer.
Our current offensive scheme seems to have changed to less power and more speed, mobility, and options.
Blake simply didn't fit that scheme. I kinda saw that coming and thus the reason I supported Jalen for our starting quarterback.
But I do think he made the right choice in transferring. Even at a San Diego State or some of the schools I've seen mentioned, he has a much better chance to help himself and his football career, and that's ALL he should be worried about.
Everybody has to follow their heart to have a chance to achieve their dreams.
Kiffin has shown his offense is based on the personnel. If Blake was QB, we wouldn't use the QB runs as much.

Is this for sure? The only reference I've seen is from some new guy at AL.com. Looked around a little bit for something more solid, but ...
Since Nick Saban addressed it during his press conference, I'm going to say yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

I would suggest being coached by the top coaching staff in the country is beneficial to a young player's development as much as any other factor could be. Even jf he doesn't get playing time. Finish the season, learn all you can from Saban and Kiffin, and don't sell yourself short. Maybe Jalen has a freshman slump or you improve and jump him, but don't walk out on the team after four games.

Last edited:

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga

BB knew going into the first game that he was not going to play the whole game and if Hurts played better he would finish the game.
IMO the coaching staff didn't do him right. You announce the kid the starter and then give the backup 2 more series to get something going in game 1? Something never felt right about all that. He shouldn't have left mid-season though.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011

Maybe Blake still has some health issues or some personal issues that we don't know about. I don't know all what went into his decision, so I am not going to judge him.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Quitting on his team after 4 games...Alabama is probably better off without him.
Honestly, probably so..BUT, you still can't blame him. He has a life of his own and he deserves to do what he thinks is best.
I'd bet that most of the team has probably hugged him and wished him the best.
They understand.
It's the fans, for the most part, who get so upset.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga

Even if he got this year back he still has to sit/lose a season, does he not?
Travis Reier, on Twitter, writes:
Given the timing, JUCO only destination that makes sense for Barnett.

Finish the season at JUCO and be out in spring.

That makes sense to me. Otherwise, why on earth would you transfer mid-season? Unless maybe you think you can get a waiver to regain this year's eligibility so that he'd still have 4 years to play?

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

I think our personnel with the receivers was even for a pro style or a dual threat, especially if those two stud rb's are as good as they look. For instance our receivers are maybe the best in the country, and their numbers are down because they have less of a load when the QB can take off.

Imo, Jalen just beat him out. He could end up a better college player, the other a pro, or both equally good in both. Barnett arm 9, Jalen 8, Barnett legs 7, Jalen 9.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Honestly, probably so..BUT, you still can't blame him. He has a life of his own and he deserves to do what he thinks is best.
I'd bet that most of the team has probably hugged him and wished him the best.
They understand.
It's the fans, for the most part, who get so upset.
And Nick Saban.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga

If he were my son he would have finished the season!
And I would think being from California weighed into the decision. He was highly touted, he's young, probably having some issue's that we don't know about. I hope anyone over the age of 40 would not say things like "I hope he never plays another down again". Way over the top. And I am sure that same person would not say the same thing if it was his son. I think we should wait before crucifying him. I think it is a mental thing.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

Maybe Blake still has some health issues or some personal issues that we don't know about. I don't know all what went into his decision, so I am not going to judge him.
I don't think Saban would have said what he said about the most valuable players being team players if he was transferring because of a hardship or health or family issue.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA

Not surprising. When any team has two good young QB's they usually end up with only one good young QB because the other guy transfers. I think Coach Saban was afraid of that too because that's why he never came right out and said Jalen's our guy, although it became obvious.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

If he were my son he would have finished the season!
I didn't have a choice. My son high tailed it after breaking up with his gf at UA and ended up at my ex wife's house for 2 weeks before I knew. He has always had anxiety quirks. But once at UAH, he never had another problem. One of those things. My father, a Korean generation thought it was inexcusable. Kids are different these days. They know they will get a 2nd chance. You can either do it, or put them in the army, luckily I made the right decision to give him one more chance. $8,000 down the tube.

califbamafan

1st Team
Nov 7, 2005
Rialto, Calif

I don't have a problem with him leaving. Especialy if he can sit the rest of the year and not lose a year. I think LSU would love to get him he is much better than anyone they have. He could go to several other schools and become a big star. I don't have a problem with someone doing something that gives them a chance to improve their future. At the same time I don't especially like quitters.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

I don't have a problem with him leaving. Especialy if he can sit the rest of the year and not lose a year. I think LSU would love to get him he is much better than anyone they have. He could go to several other schools and become a big star. I don't have a problem with someone doing something that gives them a chance to improve their future. At the same time I don't especially like quitters.
I agree, but someone posted he is looking at Juco and would have to sit out 4 games next year?

Edit: He will have to sit out 4 anyway. I think he should skip JUCO, get private coaching. His credentials are high enough to not have to prove anything, and will have a choice of 20 schools that are at least televised regionally.

This whole transfer is nauseating. Time to watch The Factor and forget about it. I been watching him close since he picked us. Most ticked since Jones was booted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.