News Article: Blake Barnett quit the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Re: Blake Barnett Transferring

Sip, I can agree with a lot of what you`re saying. I also believe that the vast majority on the board don`t necessarily disagree with Blake leaving. As with most things in life, however, timing is everything. Unless there are aspects of this we don`t know, which is certainly possible, the main beef, I believe, is when he chose to do it.
You're probably right TF...
I still think he has the perfect right to do the best he can for himself and we shouldn't persecute him for it.
That's all I'm saying. You gotta remember, I was, and am, "Hurts" all the way, I'm just thinking about Blake...

Last edited:

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

Preseason was fall camp. The season started with the USC game. Finish the season then leave and everyone understands.
Great, but has nothing to do with my post lol

Originally Posted by Sabanizer
Had a long way to go, but Blake was rated #2 quarterback 2019 draft by a few scout publications. That is some of the hype of him coming into the season. I knew he was going to be gone at some point. Passed over by a true freshman, family lives in California. Now or then.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2019&genpos=QB

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Lol some of you are being ridiculous.

Preseason? This isn't the NFL.

Comparing this to Nick Saban taking other jobs AFTER the season was over? Please.

Ima check back with you all if, Heaven forbid, Hurts has to sit out the second half against a team like Texas A&M if he suffers an injury.

Of course I tend to agree this is proof Barnett couldn't hack it anyway so we are probably better off.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Ok, to underscore what Blake did, he's transferring midseason, after taking playing time and prep time from other QBs, despite being the #2 guy, and despite the fact that Alabama is in the middle of a title hunt? I wished Alec Morris well, and I didn't say anything negative about Phillip Sims either because at least he transferred at the end of the season time. Same goes for Ely, and McLoud, even Del Rio I didn't really say anything negative about. I do have negative things to say about Barnett, he quit on the team and acted like a spoiled entitled brat. As others have said, he was one injury away from starting for the #1 team in the country, but that isn't good enough?

That aside, had Blake waited until the end of next season, not only would he have been there for his team the entire two seasons, not only would he have still been able to contribute, but he likely would have been able to transfer anyway and play immediately as a junior. Now? May be, if he's lucky he doesn't have to sit out his entire sophomore year. He's literally walking out on his team to may be gain a few games eligibility... it's a growing trend, but it's still messed up. He's a quitter, nothing else to call him. I pulled for the guy, but now I am happy as hell he's not the starter. He doesn't have the quality of character Alabama needed and now it's easy to understand why someone with all that talent couldn't seem to live up to it.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

Lol some of you are being ridiculous.

Preseason? This isn't the NFL.

Comparing this to Nick Saban taking other jobs AFTER the season was over? Please.

Ima check back with you all if, Heaven forbid, Hurts has to sit out the second half against a team like Texas A&M if he suffers an injury.

Of course I tend to agree this is proof Barnett couldn't hack it anyway so we are probably better off.
I have always considered spring and fall camp as preseason. Technically an NFL term, but preseason is before the season, sorry.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.

My guess is that he might want to stay a little closer to home. I'm not sure about the QB situations on the Pac 12 teams but I think Oregon was one of his finalists before he committed to us. Like most on the board, the timing issue is what bothers me, not very well thought out.

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011

He is what 19 years old don't be so hard on him, let him go. If he didn't want to be here it's best he goes I wish him well.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

My guess is that he might want to stay a little closer to home. I'm not sure about the QB situations on the Pac 12 teams but I think Oregon was one of his finalists before he committed to us. Like most on the board, the timing issue is what bothers me, not very well thought out.
The only logic is that he would only have to sit out 4 games, not the full season if he thought his tail was whipped at Bama, or had a fallout. We are talking about someone on NFL radar's, sorry if that offends anyone but true. He is from Cali, he didn't grow up a Bama fan. His thoughts out of HS were college to pro, just like 100% of the top college players that leave after 2 season's in college b-ball. Some players are not full of Alabama, we have to get over that. Our players leave as soon as they get the best chance, at one time we darned them.

Trying to remember the linebacker that left after his junior year in the 80's and was grilled.

Last edited:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

The conspiracy theory in me says he will transfer to where Kiffin lands if he leaves. Depending on the situation there Kifiin could potentially have a quality starting QB available in October of next year.

I don't know why but when i saw him tweet out about getting engaged right before fall camp, I didn't have a good feeling about his chances. I was not mature enough at 20 to get engaged. A lot of this seems to speak a general lack of maturity, imo.

But if this is the worst mistake he ever makes he will be okay. I wish him well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Some players are not full of Alabama, we have to get over that.
Get over players quitting on a team in the middle of the season? Mind you, he was getting playing time. It's not like the fourth string QB walked out on the team in the middle of the season, he's still there. The backup quit in the middle of the season. That's not acceptable, in what walk of life is that acceptable? I mean even Spurrier, the all time great coach caught flack for the way he left South Carolina. That's not the way to do it, you show some character and you finish the season!

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A

I cannot fathom how this is worth foregoing the high probability of a NC ring. Plus, even in sub duty he could showcase his skills on national TV all season. If you're so awesome, play a perfect second half of the Chattanooga game and show it.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

Get over players quitting on a team in the middle of the season? Mind you, he was getting playing time. It's not like the fourth string QB walked out on the team in the middle of the season, he's still there. The backup quit in the middle of the season. That's not acceptable, in what walk of life is that acceptable? I mean even Spurrier, the all time great coach caught flack for the way he left South Carolina. That's not the way to do it, you show some character and you finish the season!
But at one time we grilled a player for leaving after his junior year. What was his name? Arrested a few years ago. He left at season's end. Conditioning at the extreme, but this may become the norm for blue blue chips one day.

Keith McCants. I was on usenet at the time. He was vilified for leaving a year early.....the first that I knew of. Now is expected. Conditioning over time.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

Agreed. I think Jalen has a shot at winning four national titles, as a QB at Bama, but he has a lot of improvement to do as a passer, before the NFL would ever even consider him. Blake's gonna be allright. He's got the arm, and that's really all that matters on Sundays.
Good, quick decisionmaking is at least as important as arm strength.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

I think some of you need some clarification.

I have not seen a single post bashing Blake for leaving, not one. Every post bashing him, and I believe rightfully so, is for him leaving mid-season and QUITTING on his teammates.

That is inexcusable, and frankly childish. I have never wished ill of any of our transfers, but I can not support someone quitting on the team. Has he waited a couple of months, everyone would pat him on the back and wish him luck. Now he's going to get blasted, and I can't blame anyone for it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

Well at least having prosecutors vs defense (not knowing all the facts), makes this board more interesting. I think it is the father in me to want to know more.

But I will leave to others, my 10 posts limit per thread has run out and RTR 91 in mind!

He should have waited to leave, this will scar him
Interested to find out more.

What a great board full of good opinions all I absorb.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

Maybe the NCAA will grant him a medical redshirt for immaturity and he can get a whole year of eligibility to expend elsewhere for those four measly preseason series he spent at Alabama...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.