News Article: Blake Barnett quit the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Re: Blake Barnett Transferring

I made it clear in the 2nd paragraph that Jalen won the job. I just don't think BB had the same fair chance to play in backup duty. He was handcuffed a bit against WKU and completely shackled against Kent St. Jalen was always given the full reigns. BB was mostly allowed to run out the clock and get the game over with....then not even allowed to do that. He was done a bit wrong in that aspect. Jmo though.
Jalen made the most of his chances. Blake did not. End of story.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA

http://alabama.247sports.com/Articl...-more-options-than-you-think-as-a-tr-47861580

Seems Barnett might have an option to play next year right away.

I tend to think that since he played in 4 games, this "loophole" won't work, but what do I know.
I'm finding the article's premise (that there is a loophole Barnett could exploit to be eligible in 2017 at a 4 year college) hard to believe. If it was possible, I don't think this would be the first time someone would have tried to exploit it, if it's as easy as transferring to a 2 year institution with an October mid-term date.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I'm finding the article's premise (that there is a loophole Barnett could exploit to be eligible in 2017 at a 4 year college) hard to believe. If it was possible, I don't think this would be the first time someone would have tried to exploit it, if it's as easy as transferring to a 2 year institution with an October mid-term date.
Told my dad the same thing yesterday. If he is able to go to JUCO in October without a penalty next season, the rule needs to be rewritten because it's useless.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

At this point he couldn't even get a medical redshirt on this season, I can't imagine he can somehow dodge the transfer penalty.
Yeah the rule is pretty clear & I don't see how withdrawing "wipes the slate". He missed the Add/Drop date so he was "enrolled in a 4 year institution". Crystal clear that at a minimum he would have to fulfill the requirements to graduate from the JUCO and still have to sit out a calendar year before being eligible at another 4 year institution.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere

Really disappointed to lose Barnett and having read the thread I agree with almost all posters that the timing is not great at all..

But what I will say is that College players have a very small window in which to showcase their talents to NFL scouts. The ultimate goal for almost all College players is to make it to the NFL and I can understand when players feel their window is closing by not getting game time etc..

Also.. Alabama, and all College programs, will do what is best for their particular Program. If that means cutting a players Scholarship, benching a player whatever it is they will do it if it suits them and they will be ruthless. And rightfully so. That being said I think it is slightly hypocritical to then criticize a player for not showing loyalty..

Not to everyone's liking but unfortunately that is just the way things are going with the amount of money in todays game.
Thanks for stopping by, Mr. Barnett ;)

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Do you really not understand at this point that no one is upset he's leaving? It's the fact that he's leaving RIGHT NOW. You don't do this to your team 1/3rd of the way into the season. It's called quitting. It's a complete and total distraction. It's selfish.

If this happens in January, no one would be this upset. I don't see how some of you don't understand that point yet.
Perfectly worded. This is the only issue I have with it. He quit during the middle of the season and told his teammates to go to ....! Blake may have issues in his life because after you quit the first time it is much easier to quit the second, third, etc time. G

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Lane just tweeted this picture with "#bigcat." Maybe it doesn't mean anything. Maybe it does.

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia

I think some of your need to take off the crimson tinted glasses and look at things from his perspective... Why would you ride the pine when you could be all conference somewhere else?

Why is everyone convinced he is going to be all conference elsewhere? He's gone through two spring practices and two fall camps and frankly he didn't look comfortable on the field.

Wish him well wherever he ends up, and kudos to Bateman for hanging in there and returning to Bama this year and competing instead of bolting last year when Coker won the battle.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

At this point he couldn't even get a medical redshirt on this season, I can't imagine he can somehow dodge the transfer penalty.
I said earlier the medical redshirt could be precedent-setting as granted for immaturity, but maybe the "loophole" (using *bamacare criteria) includes "Bruised ego."

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL

I think some of your need to take off the crimson tinted glasses and look at things from his perspective... Why would you ride the pine when you could be all conference somewhere else?

Why is Anyone convinced he is going to be all conference elsewhere?.
FIFY:)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Why Blake Barnett chose to leave Alabama four games into the season

You're not alone if you've questioned the timing of quarterback Blake Barnett's decision to leave the Alabama program.

These are natural questions: Why leave four games into the season? Why not just wait until after the year to transfer?

There's a reason.

If Barnett waited until after the season to transfer, he wouldn't be eligible to play at another FBS school until 2018. But sources told AL.com that Barnett recently became aware of an NCAA loophole that allows a player to be eligible to play at another FBS school one calendar year after leaving their previous school.
Unbelievable if this actually works for him.

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007

If accurate, this is a loophole that the NCAA should look into closing. I'm cool with providing more power to student athletes but, as with the graduate transfer rule, this kind of loophole implicitly discourages schools from offering accelerated academic support for their scholarship students. Why provide resources to a kid to help him graduate in 3 years if he's just going to skip town at the first opportunity?

Also makes me uncomfortable that these kind of situations encourage other schools to "recruit" students of other programs. Or, more precisely, encourages other schools to recruit the dads and moms of those students.

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007

I know I am not adding anything different, but I will feel better getting this off my chest.

BB is GONE. He QUIT on his team. There is NO grey area to this. The entitlement he feels he deserves is sickening. I wonder what will happen when he doesn't land the job he wants in the real world? Oh wait, I know call mommy and daddy.

As others have said, if he wants to transfer do so at end of season. Not 4 games in. Spoiled brat. There, I feel better.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Really disappointed to lose Barnett and having read the thread I agree with almost all posters that the timing is not great at all..

But what I will say is that College players have a very small window in which to showcase their talents to NFL scouts. The ultimate goal for almost all College players is to make it to the NFL and I can understand when players feel their window is closing by not getting game time etc..

Also.. Alabama, and all College programs, will do what is best for their particular Program. If that means cutting a players Scholarship, benching a player whatever it is they will do it if it suits them and they will be ruthless. And rightfully so. That being said I think it is slightly hypocritical to then criticize a player for not showing loyalty..

Not to everyone's liking but unfortunately that is just the way things are going with the amount of money in todays game.
Really on target post in my opinion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.