Status
Not open for further replies.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
Re: Blake Barnett Transferring

I think you may as well give it up. Too many people see "win the team" as some sort of popularity vote, explicit or implicit. Generally speaking, the team, as a unit, is interested in the man under center being the guy who sees the open receiver, the guy who delivers the ball on time, gets the team out of a bad play, the guy who doesn't panic under pressure. These and a hundred other things are what "winning the team" means. It means the guy for whom the team functions better as a whole. It's not the common assumption around here that they're playing harder for one guy than another. Many times, the reverse is true. It's an intangible and it oftentimes doesn't even show in practice or in the first couple of games. The team's "vote" is in how they play - not how they feel personally about a particular quarterback...
Thank You Earle! I've been working on a response just like this for 20+ minutes and it's obvious you are much more articulate than I.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I haven't read the entire thread, so it may have been mentioned. I certainly have mentioned it in the past. With this particular athlete, there is no way his family would have let him remain in the program, sitting behind Hurts. As Hurts' grip on the reins has tightened, the only question in my mind has been when the transfer would occur. I just didn't realize the fuse was quite this short...

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

Right move for him long term but low character move right now. Not finishing the season is just plain sorry and doesn't give off the look that he's a team player at all.
If I was Coach at his next team I would have concerns over him quitting on my team.
No respect for anyone who quits just because times are tough.
No respect for anyone who quits when he looses in competition.
Pretty clear Blake has no respect for his Alabama teammates. (BAD)

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008

This is a joke. Seriously. Do we have people here who absolutely don't have a life unless we win the national championship?
19-20 Year old kids are, "Obligated to us", to stick with the team even though they're hurting their future's?
I am just amazed. Seriously....
Sip, I respect you as a poster and like a lot of your post. However, I think you are missing the point here that others are trying to express. No one is hurting BB future by asking him to stay through the year. They are in fact helping to teach him life lessons in character, loyalty, perseverance, dedication, teamwork and commitment to name a few rather important personal character traits.

For all we know leaving could hurt his career 10x worse. Not to mention the known fact of him quiting on the team will hurt his character and his trustworthiness. Heck, the future could have held, Hurts going down next week BB coming in and leading Bama to another Title and 2 more years of starting QB at Bama before being drafted in the first round. Or he could be injured in JUCO and never play another down.

You dont quit on your team. Especially because you got beat out by someone better. That is a terrible way to go out and that is fact that cant be argued. You stay, work hard, show real character and perseverance. Then at the end of the season you make your decision.

This is 100% selfish and in my opinion the worse choice he could make in the short term and lomg term. Looks like Saban was right once again. He chose a winner to lead the team and the guy who got passed over decides to quit. Hmmmm. Interesting how his character is showing why he may have lost the job in the first place.

I know these are young guys. But you have to learn real character building at an early age. Sometimes its hard, sometimes its not what "you" think you want at the time but its how young kids become Men. Respected Men and Leaders.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006

19-20 Year old kids are, "Obligated to us", to stick with the team even though they're hurting their future's?
I am just amazed. Seriously....
So, Sip, we only need the first 22 kids, plus a few special teamers, to field our team? Isn't every player that practices, but never steps on the field on game day, potentially 'hurting their future'? For that matter, the one's that do get on the field are obviously at even greater risk but do so for the potential rewards. I don't consider our players to be obligated, but each one of them accepted the various conditions upon which they were allowed to become a member of the team. For many it meant full scholarships and potential NFL careers. For others, it was an opportunity to helped others achieve those aforementioned objectives with no realistic hope of ever seeing the field on game day.

I hear that some play just for pride - risk and/or reward be damned.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com

When I read about him getting engaged this summer, I got a feeling that if he didn't win the starting job, he would transfer at the end of the year for sure.

Like most everyone else, transferring isn't the issue. It's transferring now that is a problem. I can't understand how some can't see the difference.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

Good night.

Jalen would have beaten out a Red shirt freshman GMAC (No doubt), AJ, Sims and Coker on the same terms, and now Barnett. Lets hope this change of directions leads us to as many championships in the next 3 to 4 years, and continuing to recruit players like Julio, Coop and Ridely.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Wow!!!

I saw this thread when it was only 13 posts into it, but I had some serious work to do and thought I would post later. But geez the overreactions, misinterpretations, and the general flow of this thread are epic.

So without giving it too much detail since pratically everything in the known universe has been disscussed.. I say it was probably a poor decision on his part, but what kid doesn't make poor judgements when they are under 24, I wish him the best because he seems to be a good kid from the times I've met him, and I have no strong feelings against his decision other than I hope it was the right one and if it wasn't that he learns from it.

Other than that...

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

And I would think being from California weighed into the decision. He was highly touted, he's young, probably having some issue's that we don't know about. I hope anyone over the age of 40 would not say things like "I hope he never plays another down again". Way over the top. And I am sure that same person would not say the same thing if it was his son. I think we should wait before crucifying him. I think it is a mental thing.
I am almost 70 years old and I would have had plenty to say to my son if he quit on his team, and on his teammates. At this point I could care less if Blake plays again, or who he plays for...
It means nothing to Alabama. He's history.
If Blake changed his mind tomorrow...
He would never play for Alabama again. Quitting is unforgivable. I wouldn't feel this way if he waited till the end of the Semester, or until the end of the year, but to quit 4 game in is stupidity.

Last edited:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

Ultimately, it comes down to this--when you recruit as many high quality players as we do, some of them, who aren't getting the playing time they want, are going to leave.
It's not betrayal. It's simply them trying to do the best they can for themselves and the people they love.
So give them a break.
I don't know if you are being obstinate or really don't understand what people are saying. No one is criticizing his leaving, they all understand that. They are critical of the timing - the middle of the year. That is leaving your team in a lurch.

You bring up the emotional stuff, that's usually the last straw when someone runs out of logic. It appears from Saban's response that it's not those kind of issues. And he always respects and supports the players.

Finally, what Saban did and what BB is doing are in stark contrast. In fact, Saban jepordized his shot at the Bama job by refusing to personally talk until after the season.

I personally have never begrudged a player for leaving. These are career decisions. They only get one shot. In fact, I would not express my thoughts in this matter either, but I'm just responding because you are not listening and because your comparison between Saban and Barnett is wrong and unfortunate.

Edit: I see that some others have already posted some of the thoughts I've expressed. Sorry for the duplication.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Sip, I respect you as a poster and like a lot of your post. However, I think you are missing the point here that others are trying to express. No one is hurting BB future by asking him to stay through the year. They are in fact helping to teach him life lessons in character, loyalty, perseverance, dedication, teamwork and commitment to name a few rather important personal character traits.

For all we know leaving could hurt his career 10x worse. Not to mention the known fact of him quiting on the team will hurt his character and his trustworthiness. Heck, the future could have held, Hurts going down next week BB coming in and leading Bama to another Title and 2 more years of starting QB at Bama before being drafted in the first round. Or he could be injured in JUCO and never play another down.

You dont quit on your team. Especially because you got beat out by someone better. That is a terrible way to go out and that is fact that cant be argued. You stay, work hard, show real character and perseverance. Then at the end of the season you make your decision.

This is 100% selfish and in my opinion the worse choice he could make in the short term and lomg term. Looks like Saban was right once again. He chose a winner to lead the team and the guy who got passed over decides to quit. Hmmmm. Interesting how his character is showing why he may have lost the job in the first place.

I know these are young guys. But you have to learn real character building at an early age. Sometimes its hard, sometimes its not what "you" think you want at the time but its how young kids become Men. Respected Men and Leaders.
I agree to a point. And I know what you're saying. But Coach Saban is going to play the QB who gives him the best chance to win. Blake should play at the school that gives him the best chance to win, and progress, as well.

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010

Cooper Bateman might turn out to be a better game manager, if need be, than Barnett. Barnett looked pretty shakey, so I'll take my chances with a game manager. Bama has won many a championship recently with a good game manager.

RTR!!!!!!!!!

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I don't know if you are being obstinate or really don't understand what people are saying. No one is criticizing his leaving, they all understand that. They are critical of the timing - the middle of the year. That is leaving your team in a lurch.

You bring up the emotional stuff, that's usually the last straw when someone runs out of logic. It appears from Saban's response that it's not those kind of issues. And he always respects and supports the players.

Finally, what Saban did and what BB is doing are in stark contrast. In fact, Saban jepordized his shot at the Bama job by refusing to personally talk until after the season.

I personally have never begrudged a player for leaving. These are career decisions. They only get one sho
I'll be the first to say that the timing is not good....but it can be overcome, and it's his right to leave.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I agree to a point. And I know what you're saying. But Coach Saban is going to play the QB who gives him the best chance to win. Blake should play at the school that gives him the best chance to win, and progress, as well.
I don't think there's anyone posting in this thread which disagrees with that at all. The disagreement is over timing. It's probably not a good time for him and it's possibly disastrous for the team, with an injury to Hurts, for example. Also, as I indicated above, I'd feel better about it if I felt 100% certain that it were Blake's - and only Blake's - decision. I don't feel that way, based on what I know...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Cooper Bateman might turn out to be a better game manager, if need be, than Barnett. Barnett looked pretty shakey, so I'll take my chances with a game manager. Bama has won many a championship recently with a good game manager.

RTR!!!!!!!!!
Cooper Bateman isn't the starter so why are we even going down that road right now?

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

how did we get 26 pages and there are still people that don't get that it is not that he is quitting it is when he is quitting?

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

I'll be the first to say that the timing is not good....but it can be overcome, and it's his right to leave.
I agree that it can be overcome, but that has not been the issue in this thread. I'm familiar with your posts and know you are bright, but you don't seem to be paying attention to what is being said. Hey, all of us have bad days 😊.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

I am almost 70 years old and I would have had plenty to say to my son if he quit on his team, and on his teammates. At this point I could care less if Blake plays again, or who he plays for...
It means nothing to Alabama. He's history.
If Blake changed his mind tomorrow...
He would never play for Alabama again. Quitting is unforgivable. I wouldn't feel this way if he waited till the end of the Semester, or until the end of the year, but to quit 4 game in is stupidity.
And that is a generational thing, my father is same way, I am a tweaner. Back in our best days, you never quit a commitment, peer pressure was much tougher. You make a commitment and you stick with it or severely frowned upon. Crime was handled by peer pressure.....be good or be shunned out of town.

I did some training for a job with a Japanese company a few years ago and was surprised that employees seldom quit, and with the loyalty, the corporations rarely fired anyone. It would be easy to match worker/employee loyalty in the USA the past 30 years with this.......but will save for another board. But you can quit these days much easier than when you were lucky to get out of a plow field. Opportunity was not squandered.

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
Blake Barnett Transferring

Cooper Bateman isn't the starter so why are we even going down that road right now?
I think I see where he's going. Hurts is the starter, but God forbid anything happen to him, maybe we're better off with Bateman over Barnett.

I'm not 100% sure I agree with that, but Bateman and Cornwell were also highly regarded quarterbacks. I fully expected them to transfer and look for playing time, but they're still with us. There may be a talent drop off between Barnett and Bateman/Cornwell, but at least those two didn't quit in the middle of the season. That makes me think they don't quit in the middle of a game if they fall behind. It also makes me appreciate Cooper Bateman and David Cornwell a lot more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.