Montreal bans pitbulls. Plans to euthanize them

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
https://www.thedodo.com/pit-bull-ban-montreal-passed-2019462088.html

Montreal passed a law yesterday that outlaws pitbulls and will not allow animals that are currently in shelters that meet pitbull criteria to be adopted. These animals are expected to be euthanized.

Those who already own these type of dogs must pay for a license or have their dog taken and killed.

This makes me sad to know how many dogs will lose their lives. This started because a lady was killed by a dog in her yard (and some other attacks) , but apparently they're not even sure that it was a pitbull.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
By that article, 6 attacks causing deaths in the last 30 yrs in Montreal: 5 by Husky types and one by a registered Boxer. Yet they pass basically a death warrant for not just Pit Bulls but dogs that "resemble Pit Bulls".

I personally don't believe that "pit bull type" dogs are innately more prone to aggression than other breeds. The problem is that they are very capable of doing grave harm when and if they do become aggressive, as are other large and medium-sized breeds.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2527882/t...ne-so-why-are-there-more-dog-bites-than-ever/

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
Pitbulls seem to be more prone to aggression. I know this is profiling and it is sad for the dogs that they were bred this way. I never allowed my child near a pitbull or mix. I have come across many that seemed like sweet, affectionate dogs, but they have a trigger that makes them violent and it is not always easy to tell what that trigger is exactly.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Pitbulls seem to be more prone to aggression. I know this is profiling and it is sad for the dogs that they were bred this way. I never allowed my child near a pitbull or mix. I have come across many that seemed like sweet, affectionate dogs, but they have a trigger that makes them violent and it is not always easy to tell what that trigger is exactly.
Any dog can attack/bite. Small breeds do less harm. Larger breeds are stronger and able to do more harm. Then of course pit bulls - real or perceived - tend to make the news. But multiples breeds and mixes of breeds are called pit bull type dogs - sometimes on appearance alone. But it is impossible - even for dog experts - to accurately tell the breed by appearance (this, according to the people who should know) and many experts oppose breed specific laws because they are ineffective. Montreal's law includes in its definition certain physical characteristics that are found in numerous breeds aside from true "pit bulls".

Every single dog on this planet has a trigger that makes them violent - even the most good-natured dog. If a dog feels threatened or if it feels someone else is threatened then it is more likely to attack.

It's always wise to be vigilant with any dog - especially larger breeds - when there are people around that might be unable to defend themselves like the elderly and especially young children since their behavior can sometimes be perceived by the dog to be threatening when it is not.

I have 2 dogs - one a lab mix, the other some sort of mix that would definitely be perceived as a pit bull type dog based on appearance (no DNA test at this time). She's been a good dog and is very good in public. I am very cognizant that since they each weigh about 80 lbs - give or take - either could do a lot of harm if they ever decided to do so. They are always on a leash in public and I stay aware of our surroundings.

Most people are going to believe what they believe no matter what the experts say, but quite a number of them are against breed-specific legislation. It is what it is, and you certainly have to do what you feel is right and will keep you and yours safe.

A slight correction to my comment above about DNA: that was another attack in which the owner ordered the dog to attack his wife (or ex-wife). The attack credited with inspiring this law was a dog that was not properly restrained and somehow got into a woman's back yard, where it attacked and killed her. That dog's DNA test is pending.

Cesar's take

https://www.cesarsway.com/about-dogs/pit-bulls/how-did-pit-bulls-get-a-bad-rap

This article explains the difficulty with labeling a particular dog a "pit bull type".

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steffen-baldwin/the-lies-damn-lies-and-st_b_8112394.html

Pit bull facts

http://www.caninejournal.com/pit-bull-facts

ASPCA statement on these dogs

http://www.dogsbite.org/pdf/aspca-pitbulls-nursemaid-dog-july-2014.pdf

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
I am in the boat with those that don't think pit bulls are naturally aggressive. They have extremely powerful jaws and are able to do severe damage if they do bite, but unless a trainer makes them aggressive, they are usually very good dogs. I have seen so many pit bulls that think they are just lap dogs and are kind as can be. It really makes me sad to know that they have this stereotype.

I have an 80 lb chocolate lab mix that looks like he has some pit bull in him because of the way his face/head looks at times. He is the biggest lap dog I have ever seen in my life and hates to be by himself. He had really bad anxiety when he was younger, and he was destructive when we tried to leave him at home alone out of the cage, but he's gotten better now that he's older and stays out all day long. He also has one of the strongest jaws I have ever seen. It's almost impossible to pry a toy from his mouth when he's playing because he can clamp down so hard.

We also have an 11 month old, 90 lb great pyrenees (who isn't done growing). Both of our dogs could do some severe damage if they wanted to, but they are just so friendly with other people that I sometimes forget that it's possible....but it's possible with any dog under the right circumstances as others have said.

Last edited:

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
Pit bulls are like the assault rifles of the canine world. People want to ban them because they're "scary".

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
Pits have the same stigma that Doberman's carried. They can be vicious and deadly but so can any dog of that size. Unfortunately the breed has a history of being misused and abused for specific purposes. My daughter and son-in-law raise Blue Nose Pits because they are not used in the fighting arena because of their build. They currently have 14 in their kennels and one that stays in the house. Of those, only one male shows any sign of aggressive behavior and that is more towards the other dogs. He's a big baby with my grandkids. The one that stays in the house is called Roxie and we have kept her for weekends and although a little frightening when you first see her she is nothing more than a huge puppy.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
By the by... We're currently fostering 4 pit bull pups (2M, 2F) and a black mouth cur pup (F) - all rescues and around 3-4 mo old. All very sweet and getting well-socialized with our resident pack of 7 other rescues (schnauzers, briard, golden/collie mix, english pointer mix, irish wolfhound mix). We're VERY selective when choosing a forever home for our fosters.

Hat's off to the Darwin winner stupid enough to try to break and enter at our place.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
By the by... We're currently fostering 4 pit bull pups (2M, 2F) and a black mouth cur pup (F) - all rescues and around 3-4 mo old. All very sweet and getting well-socialized with our resident pack of 7 other rescues (schnauzers, briard, golden/collie mix, english pointer mix, irish wolfhound mix). We're VERY selective when choosing a forever home for our fosters.

Hat's off to the Darwin winner stupid enough to try to break and enter at our place.
Haha! They are generally gentle natured in my experience, but are loyal, protective, and territorial - so breaking into your place would not be wise. Mine is good, but she doesn't like intrusions.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I used to be a proponent of banning pitbulls - until I started reading on the subject. There's zero question if a pitbull attacks it will be messy, but only tiny percentage of them ever attack anyone / anything. The comparison to 'assault rifles' above is spot on.

*insert snarky comment about the pansy Canucks here*

Last edited:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I used to be a proponent of banning pitfalls - until I started reading on the subject. There's zero question if a pitfall attacks it will be messy, but only tiny percentage of them ever attack anyone / anything. The comparison to 'assault rifles' above is spot on.

*insert snarky comment about the pansy Canucks here*
I do my best to avoid pitfalls. ;)

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Haha! They are generally gentle natured in my experience, but are loyal, protective, and territorial - so breaking into your place would not be wise. Mine is good, but she doesn't like intrusions.
Mine too. I currently work in emergency veterinary medicine, and far and away, the pits who come through the hospital are usually very sweet. It's the Chihuahuas, poms, toy poodles, and schnauzers that tend to exhibit more aggression (usually out of fear), and among larger breeds, the shepherds, huskies, and lab mixes.

As far as who to fear while breaking into my house, it's not the pits (yet - too young). It's the English Pointer, the Briard, and the Irish Wolfhound. They're all pretty protective and territorial, and sizable to match. The Briard especially seems like the epitome of her breed, developed for flock-guarding and police work.

Below video of a well-trained Briard demonstrates some of the essential breed characteristics: intelligence, athleticism, guarding instincts.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Funny story. I was out walking my dogs when a guy pulled up at my grandmother's house. We were a good 50 yards from him. He saw my dogs and yelled "do they bite?" I said "no, they don't bite." That's all I said, but inside I was laughing because they are labs. All they care about is eating, pooping, and taking their daily walks.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.