Tim Williams arrested for carrying a pistol without a permit

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
Those saying that he can carry a weapon if he has the proper permit simply because it's his constitutional right are incorrect, in my opinion, if there is a team rule against it. The coach can impose all sorts of rules that apply to the team that would not apply to non-team members. Curfews, social media restrictions, interview restrictions, certain establishments that are off limits, etc. Just because it's a player's constitutional right (and I acknowledge that it is exactly that), that doesn't mean that it's okay (or even smart) within the context of the football team's framework. Coach can apply rules that are more restrictive than a person's civil liberties, and then a player has a choice to either accept those restrictions or not be part of the team (or be disciplined if those restrictions are violated).

Now, to my knowledge there is no rule on the team that says a player cannot own or legally carry a weapon (I can certainly be wrong on this one). So the problem here appears to be one of him not having the proper permit. It's basically like driving without a license. Dumb but not horribly bad in terms of the legal ramifications.

I just wish this had not happened.

Last edited:

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Are you suggesting Saban is ill-informed? Saban has been living in Tuscaloosa nine years now. I'm certain he understands the difference Between LA and Alabama, and I will defer to Saban's judgement.
I didn't suggest Saban was ill-informed. I suggested the only problem was that Williams was not properly educated on the differences in gun ownership and personal protection as it relates to two different states.

I understand Saban's stance: He wants zero distractions from/for his team. Doesn't change the fact that Williams has a right to own and carry a gun, with a permit.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
How about he educates himself on the difference between LA and AL, and gets his concealed carry permit?
in my mind, a big part of responsible gun ownership is knowing the applicable laws where you live. aside from that, i will keep my thoughts on the matter to myself and hope that the consequences of this aren't too harsh

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
Most cringeworthy thread I've seen in a long time.

The circumstances reflect really poorly on him, but in the end, he didn't actually do anything to be in line for serious punishment.

Bamagator

Scout Team
Jan 12, 2000
Originally Posted by drwho

How about he educates himself on the difference between LA and AL, and gets his concealed carry permit?

That would be a good start.

Not sitting in a car in a parking lot at 2:00 AM while "someone else" enjoys the sweetstinkyweed might be Lesson #2.

Last edited:

buzzman

3rd Team
Jan 18, 2014
Madison, AL
So please tell me what situtaion a 18 y/o college football player would be put in to need a pistol. I can list a number of places around the globe I have visited and some seedy areas but never did I felt the need for a pistol. If I did I just left the area I was in.
I had a fraternity brother that made end of day deposits for the business he worked at. Sometimes had a large amount of cash. He had a firearm in a university sponsored off-campus fraternity apartment. So yeah, there are situations

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
Also, why go to Publix in the middle of the Strip to do this? It's not like it's a remote hidden area.

We're gonna become known as Gun U.:mad2: So much of this situation doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Man, we gotta work on the process of where to park while our friends smoke dope in our car which contains a gun. Just not sharp on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE24

1st Team
Jan 12, 2000
Bartlett, TN
The charge itself is not a real big deal and IMO is really not the issue. It's really the position he put himself in and the judgement he used. The same exact thing just happened a few months ago to CR. He is not a freshman. He is a leader on this team and on this defense. This is nothing that he and CNS are not discussing, but this is could be more concerning that the actual act. He has every right to have the firearm and no permit may or may not be an honest mistake, but weed in the car and 2 a.m. whether or not he did anything wrong it does not look good and he put himself in a bad position. Poor decision. Bad judgment. Should know better, especially after what Cam just went through. I do trust CNS will do what is best for him and the team, he always has and he has not been wrong very often. That's why he is the best in the business.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He is not a thug or a criminal. He is a player with a gun who needs some help understanding what is acceptable and what is not with respect that gun. I assume that his lesson will be in the form of a one game suspension and some hefty legal bills. I am just glad that this is Kentucky week and not Arkansas week. You guys are going to need him when you face Allen.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Man, we gotta work on the process of where to park while our friends smoke dope in our car which contains a gun. Just not sharp on that.

Agree wholeheartedly. Shouts out to Brandon Chicken for taking that weed charge. There's a check with his name on it as soon as Tim gets that first NFL check.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Agree wholeheartedly. Shouts out to Brandon Chicken for taking that weed charge. There's a check with his name on it as soon as Tim gets that first NFL check.
Timmy will break him off a (small) piece of his signing bonus next year. Probably the best money he's ever spent..

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

i haven't been to t-town in a long time. but there used to be plenty of places down by the river. or so i was told.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.