Tim Williams arrested for carrying a pistol without a permit

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
The consensus on the board seems to be the players should ignore Saban's advice about not carrying guns.

Are there any other areas where the board would prefer the players ignore Saban, or is this just a gun thing?
Wrong again. The consensus is that Williams should have had a permit.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
So inexplicably maddening. CNS has a tough job. We JUST went through this. You KNOW CNS talked to the whole team about this exact subject and yet STILL.....ignorance. Trying to help these kids must be exactly like banging your head into a brick wall if you are CNS. Inexcusable by Williams.
This situation is different - again, it's not unlike how you can be arrested for driving without your driver's license on you in some states.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
You don't have to agree with it. You just have to accept it.
There is a third option that doesn't seem to have occurred to you.

I understand Saban doesn't have legal authority to forbid his players from carrying. But in my mind, while they are on his team, what he says goes. I don't like seeing the players taking Saban's instructions as if they are suggestions that they can ignore.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Wrong again. The consensus is that Williams should have had a permit.
Saban has made it very clear he would rather the players not carry unless they are going hunting. You seem incapable of understanding the point I am making.

For the board concensus to be that he should have had a permit is also consensus that the players ought to ignore Saban's preference that they not carry. You can't separate the two things.

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
There is a third option that doesn't seem to have occurred to you.

I understand Saban doesn't have legal authority to forbid his players from carrying. But in my mind, while they are on his team, what he says goes. I don't like seeing the players taking Saban's instructions as if they are suggestions that they can ignore.

I don't think you do.

You see, even Saban understands that he can only give advice here, not instructions. He can't tell his players that they CAN'T exercise their rights. He can only ADVISE when and where they SHOULD do it. Again, it's not bad advice he's giving, but he can't punish them for declining his suggestion as long as they are within the law.

Williams wasn't within Alabama state law here. I'm sure he'll get some sort of punishment.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Saban has made it very clear he would rather the players not carry unless they are going hunting. You seem incapable of understanding the point I am making.

For the board concensus to be that he should have had a permit is also consensus that the players ought to ignore Saban's preference that they not carry.
And for those of legal age, that is still the consensus.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I don't think you do.

You see, even Saban understands that he can only give advice here, not instructions. He can't tell his players that they CAN'T exercise their rights. He can only ADVISE when and where they SHOULD do it. Again, it's not bad advice he's giving, but he can't punish them for declining his suggestion as long as they are within the law.

Williams wasn't within Alabama state law here. I'm sure he'll get some sort of punishment.
Players play at the discretion of head coach. Punishment or not, the head coach owes no one an explanaiton of why he does or does not choose to play someone. Every team has rules. If you choose to be a part of that team you choose to abide by those rules. Those team rules have absolutely NOTHING to do with any kind of constitutional rights. Everyone has the RIGHT to stay out until 2AM before game day, but if that is a violation of team rules then you will most likely sit. If coach thinks it is a bad idea for players to carry fire arms - that is within his authority to make that a team rule. A football team is not a democracy.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.