Tim Williams arrested for carrying a pistol without a permit

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Players play at the discretion of head coach. Punishment or not, the head coach owes no one an explanaiton of why he does or does not choose to play someone. Every team has rules. If you choose to be a part of that team you choose to abide by those rules. Those team rules have absolutely NOTHING to do with any kind of constitutional rights. Everyone has the RIGHT to stay out until 2AM before game day, but if that is a violation of team rules then you will most likely sit. If coach thinks it is a bad idea for players to carry fire arms - that is within his authority to make that a team rule. A football team is not a democracy.

I doubt you're going to have a team rule that says you can't legally carry a gun. That's why Alabama doesn't have one.

You may have a team rule about getting arrested, but that covers anything and everything. You can't punish him legally carrying a gun. You can only punish him for getting arrested and not following the law.

Saban can punish him for breaking the law and getting arrested, but I will stand behind this young man until the bitter end regarding his rights. They're more important.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Players play at the discretion of head coach. Punishment or not, the head coach owes no one an explanaiton of why he does or does not choose to play someone. Every team has rules. If you choose to be a part of that team you choose to abide by those rules. Those team rules have absolutely NOTHING to do with any kind of constitutional rights. Everyone has the RIGHT to stay out until 2AM before game day, but if that is a violation of team rules then you will most likely sit. If coach thinks it is a bad idea for players to carry fire arms - that is within his authority to make that a team rule. A football team is not a democracy.
No argument there, but from what I have read, staying out late, no guns, etc. is not a team rule. They are Saban's thoughts on those matters. If it were a documented team rule, I doubt Williams, or Robinson from earlier in the year, would be in their respective situations.

Looking back at his quote from Cam regarding guns and hunting, "One thing I always tell players . . . " He didn't say it was a team rule, and he is not one to be coy about team rules being broken. Just ask Kenyan Drake.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...mson-tide-lb-tim-williams-arrested-gun-charge

Figuring 75% of the country get their sports news from the Mothership.....these type of things play right into the hands of everyone that hates Bama....
Well if players would heed the suggestion of their coach this would not even be a subject. Was he snipe hunting? The more press this gets the worse it is for Williams. So whos to say CNS will change his postion on handguns.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
No argument there, but from what I have read, staying out late, no guns, etc. is not a team rule. They are Saban's thoughts on those matters. If it were a documented team rule, I doubt Williams, or Robinson from earlier in the year, would be in their respective situations.

Looking back at his quote from Cam regarding guns and hunting, "One thing I always tell players . . . " He didn't say it was a team rule, and he is not one to be coy about team rules being broken. Just ask Kenyan Drake.
I agree with you there - I was merely pointing out that your rights as a citizen don't necessarily transfer as rights that you have to maintain your status as an employee of company or member of a team. In Colorado you have the right to smoke weed. As an employee of the Denver Broncos, you forgo that right.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
I agree with you there - I was merely pointing out that your rights as a citizen don't necessarily transfer as rights that you have to maintain your status as an employee of company or member of a team. In Colorado you have the right to smoke weed. As an employee of the Denver Broncos, you forgo that right.
To quote CNS, "You have freedom of choice, you don't have freedom of consequences."

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Tim might not even be out a snap but he could be out up to a game.

Just give the big bad language of ought to's and consequences a rest. This is no big deal. He just purchased the weapon legally and screwed up on getting his permit. I'm more worried about finding Mr. Brandon Chicken than this mess.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
maybe not, brandon chicken is a 5-star mobile qb that is committed to the barn and is an early season favorite for heisman in 2017
So TW was on a recruiting trip making Chicken an offer he couldn't refuse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
For me he was "wrong" gun or no gun. Team leader should be leading by example, which does not include being out riding around at 2.am. on a weekday with (best case scenario) a buddy who is stashing pot in your car. And yes, I'm old. And yes, I know college students do that sort of thing all the time. And yes, I'm glad every stupid thing I did in college didn't become national news.

But I also wasn't a leader on the #1 team in the land who if I can just stay healthy, play hard and keep my record clean I can get millions of dollars to play football next year.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I doubt you're going to have a team rule that says you can't legally carry a gun. That's why Alabama doesn't have one.

You may have a team rule about getting arrested, but that covers anything and everything. You can't punish him legally carrying a gun. You can only punish him for getting arrested and not following the law.

Saban can punish him for breaking the law and getting arrested, but I will stand behind this young man until the bitter end regarding his rights. They're more important.
If Saban told the team they couldn't go into a certain bar, would you support the players of legal drinking age if they did go there?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.