The World Just Hit This Disturbing Climate Change Metric

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Except that to shut of your own taps you have to pay the government a bazillion dollars. And it still won't do any good because China, India, et. al. are allowed to flood your house also.

Better solution is to move to higher ground and enjoy the coming waterfront property.
Both China and India commited to the Paris climate agreement and China's promised reduction is greater than our own.

And it's not "paying the government a gazillion dollars."

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
[FONT=&quot]Well it goes Million, Billion, Trillion, and at some point Gillion I guess. So later on when they get to -zillion, it'll be Mazillion, Bazillion, Trazillion, and then Gazillion. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So Gazillion is bigger than Bazillion.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bodhi how bout going to a coal fired utility, go to the top of the smoke stack and breathe deeply?[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/18...rbon-dioxide-into-ethanol/?sr_source=Facebook

[FONT=&quot]Science has a long and storied history of looking for one thing but finding something better instead. Penicillin, radioactivity, [/FONT]science boxes[FONT=&quot]...I mean microwave ovens -- all of these discoveries came in the the search for something else. On Monday, researchers at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee announced that they too had unintentionally discovered something incredible: a means of transforming carbon dioxide directly into ethanol using a single catalyst.[/FONT]

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
We didn't make this happen...wonder how much Co2 it produced ?
Statistically irrelevant number.

To match what humans were pumping out back in 2003, there would have to be over 100 volcanic eruptions a year.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Very interesting. I wonder if they need a pure CO2 gas to make this work or if it could be done with a gas mixture? Ideally, it would be great if they could treat the exhaust gasses from a coal or natural gas power plant and covert most of the CO2 into ethanol.
Ideally, they could refine this process into a small, modular device (think catolytic converter) that could be fitted to internal combustion flex-fuel engines, which could run on both traditional fossil fuels and the refined ethanol that they would now produce. Exponentially compound gas mileage, while at the same time fractionally reduce CO2 emissions.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Very interesting. I wonder if they need a pure CO2 gas to make this work or if it could be done with a gas mixture? Ideally, it would be great if they could treat the exhaust gasses from a coal or natural gas power plant and covert most of the CO2 into ethanol.
Figure out a way to do that economically and you will become richer than Trump says he is.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I try never to allow conversation with my father ever to stray anywhere in the zip code of anthropogenic climate change.
Today he blurted out that it is the greatest problem humanity has ever faced.
I asked him if he felt hypocritical riding in a car to his doctors' appointment. He said no. I suggested he start walking to his appointments.
Then I added, "And while you're at it. Turn off your electricity and never use it again for any reason. Put your money where your mouth is."
He changed the subject.
He does not mind if every employee in the US loses his job. Literally. He's retired. He's got his money. To heck with everyone else.
And no, he's not walking to his doctors' appointments and he will never turn off his electricity. He has to keep watching MSNBC so he knows what to think. The costs of reducing anthropogenic climate change are suppose to be born by everyone else. Not him.

Last edited:

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I try never to allow conversation with my father ever to stray anywhere in the zip code of anthropogenic climate change.
Today he blurted out that it is the greatest problem humanity has ever faced.
I asked him if he felt hypocritical riding in a car to his doctors' appointment. He said no. I suggested he start walking to his appointments.
Then I added, "And while you're at it. Turn off your electricity and never use it again for any reason. Put your money where your mouth is."
He changed the subject.
He does not mind if every employee in the US loses his job. Literally. He's retired. He's got his money. To heck with everyone else.
And no, he's not walking to his doctors' appointments and he will never turn off his electricity. He has to keep watching MSNBC so he knows what to think.
You dont have to live in a cave and eat roots to be concerned about what we are doing to the climate.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
You dont have to live in a cave and eat roots to be concerned about what we are doing to the climate.
No, but if you advance weirdo extremist economic theories that have a tremendous economic impact on everyone else, but do not inconvenience you, I'd call that hypocritical.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
No one is doing that.
Unfortunately, my father is. He says, with a straight face, that if we would simply put a $25/ton of CO2 tax on energy, we would have full employment. This proposition is so stupid, only a Democrat would seriously advance it.
If he said imposing a tax of $25/ton of CO2 will have a detrimental effect on the economy, but the issue is so important that the costs would have to be borne, I'd have more respect for the argument, because then it would be a value judgment.
This idea that raising a tax is going to result in full employment is ludicrous.
My father, by all rights, was a decent chemical engineer (MS in chemical engineering from Va Tech), but economically, he is not just ill-informed, he is a blithering moron.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
My father, by all rights, was a decent chemical engineer (MS in chemical engineering from Va Tech), but economically, he is not just ill-informed, he is a blithering moron.
A lot of people egotistically believe that their expertise in a particular technical field, such as chemical engineering or geology, qualifies them as experts in other fields, such as economics or climate science.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.