The World Just Hit This Disturbing Climate Change Metric

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
In the DC area we get all four seasons, although in winter we tend to get ice (ugh!) as much as snow. Safe to say, my daughter enjoys it much more than I do. Haven't had much of anything yet this winter, but it's coming.
the couple of years i lived up there, the winter got nasty. minimal snow, lots of ice and cold/wet weather.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
the couple of years i lived up there, the winter got nasty. minimal snow, lots of ice and cold/wet weather.
Yeah, the ice sucks. A few winters ago we got a lot of ice and the road crews couldn't even keep the interstates clear. It was likely going off roading. The ice shredded a couple of my tires. Luckily I wasn't too far from home. Plenty of wrecks and stranded motorists that day. Good day for tire shops.

Last edited:

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Typical non compassionate white glaciers doing what ever they want without once thinking about how their actions adversely affect the lives of black seals.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
It does feel disturbingly strange to walk outside in mid-January and it feels like mid-April.
Yeah, but you can't conclusively tie that to global warming. While it is certainly possible that climate change is making these temperatures slightly more extreme than what might have been 50 years ago, this warm-up is mostly because of normal weather patterns.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yeah, but you can't conclusively tie that to global warming. While it is certainly possible that climate change is making these temperatures slightly more extreme than what might have been 50 years ago, this warm-up is mostly because of normal weather patterns.
I didn't mean to suggest that it did. It was just a matter-of-fact statement. It's really weird to feel like you ought to be wearing shorts in January, almost as if you were in south Florida instead of north Alabama, and you aren't seeing green trees and flowers, but dormant trees and dead grass.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
According to my father (who is the most fanatical global warming advocate you will ever meet), it seems that temperatures in Blacksburg never got above freezing until 1981. Apparently, Va Tech had no permanent buildings because the school was built on a Montgomery County glacier and the flowing ice prevented building permanent buildings. (Okay, that is a bit of an exaggeration, but he will tell you, with a straight face, that the average high temperature in Blacksburg in July is 68 degrees, or some such nonsense. Blacksburg has a high temp of 80 in July and he is crying like a rat eating onions that the temperature is "12 degrees above average! Global warming! Global warming, The Oceans boiling! The end of life on earth! Auntie Em, Auntie Em! It's a twister! It's a twister!"

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
According to my father (who is the most fanatical global warming advocate you will ever meet), it seems that temperatures in Blacksburg never got above freezing until 1981. Apparently, Va Tech had no permanent buildings because the school was built on a Montgomery County glacier and the flowing ice prevented building permanent buildings. (Okay, that is a bit of an exaggeration, but he will tell you, with a straight face, that the average high temperature in Blacksburg in July is 68 degrees, or some such nonsense. Blacksburg has a high temp of 80 in July and he is crying like a rat eating onions that the temperature is "12 degrees above average! Global warming! Global warming, The Oceans boiling! The end of life on earth! Auntie Em, Auntie Em! It's a twister! It's a twister!"
That's why I put my post earlier in the thread. One site said that the sea ice it at it's lowest level in "1000s of years" -- now, i'm sure that's debatable -- but, if the "sea ice" has melted -- and it's at it's lowest point in recorded history.....where is the excess flooding?

Or maybe, it's like a glass filled with ice cold lemonade. Take the ice out, and the water level actually goes down

One site said that there is only 51% of the Sea Ice that was there in 1981....half is pretty significant for us not to see any major change in water levels.....

Oh well -- or maybe, as temps rise, evaporation increases, offsetting any rise in the water level....

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
That's why I put my post earlier in the thread. One site said that the sea ice it at it's lowest level in "1000s of years" -- now, i'm sure that's debatable -- but, if the "sea ice" has melted -- and it's at it's lowest point in recorded history.....where is the excess flooding?

Or maybe, it's like a glass filled with ice cold lemonade. Take the ice out, and the water level actually goes down

One site said that there is only 51% of the Sea Ice that was there in 1981....half is pretty significant for us not to see any major change in water levels.....
The sea ice basically displaces the same amount of water it would were it in liquid form. With seawater, there is a slight discrepancy, but it only results in a theoretical increase of 3.1 mm annually.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/Sea-level-rise-due-to-floating-ice.html

It's melting land ice, such as Greenland's glaciers, that would have the greater impact on seas levels.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
The sea ice basically displaces the same amount of water it would were it in liquid form. With seawater, there is a slight discrepancy, but it only results in a theoretical increase of 3.1 mm annually.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/Sea-level-rise-due-to-floating-ice.html

It's melting land ice, such as Greenland's glaciers, that would have the greater impact on seas levels.
Beat me to it. The primary drivers of rising sea level are:

A)thermal expansion of ocean water, as the ocean expands as it absorbs heat.

B)the melting of grounded (not floating) ice - especially glaciers in Antarctica & Greenland.

The effects of melting float ice do have a small effect on sea level rise due to differences in density (ice shelves are less dense fresh water), but it's minimal.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
2016 Was The Hottest Year Yet, Scientists Declare

Last year, global warming reached record high temperatures — and if that news feels like déjà vu, you're not going crazy.

The planet has now had three consecutive years of record-breaking heat.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has just released its annual State of the Climate report, which says it's the hottest it has been since scientists started tracking global temperatures in 1880.
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...6-was-the-hottest-year-yet-scientists-declare

MobileCrimson

1st Team
Feb 27, 2014
The seasons still seem the same for me. The Earth has withstood drastic temperature swings before and will continue to do so.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
The seasons still seem the same for me. The Earth has withstood drastic temperature swings before and will continue to do so.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
sure, the Earth will be fine, it has nothing to worry about nor the capacity to do so. Whether the earth will support 7+ Billion of us on it is an entirely different thing

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.