Saban says Tennessee is Alabama's biggest rivalry

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I suspect that Mal had a lot to do with Saban quickly learning the importance of the Tennessee game. I imagine it is pretty important to Bill Battle also.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
I think it goes in cycles as to what is the bigger rival. UT has not been as competitive as AU has since Saban has been at Alabama and the UT game in most of those years was an afterthought. The AU game at the end of the season always has so much riding on it since Saban arrived: SEC West Title, trip to Atlanta, national championship implications, etc. The losses in 2010 and 2013 are still bitter to think about.

People talk about the ALA - AUB game all year and the UT game is talked about a week or two before the game and a week after and that is it. UT is a big game but in my opinion does not come close to the rivalry that AU is.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Here I go again :)...just my opinion, no better or worse than anyone else's.
I still think Auburn is our biggest rivalry game, and I think LSU is the game Coach Saban considers to be an absolute "must win" heading into the season.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I'm not sure Tennessee is a bigger rival than Auburn but right now I like to hear Coach Saban say it is. Why NOW? Because of where Tennessee falls on our schedule this season. Right between a tough road game at Arkansas and a tough home game against Texas A&M. We probably will be a bit bruised up after Arkansas even if we win so having to go to another hostile environment and play another physical game the following week won't be easy. It's good to convince everyone that Tennessee is our biggest rival so nobody looks past them and only concentrates on Texas A&M.

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
He's right. We've both beaten the other more than any other opponent, we both represent border states, And I believe we've played them every year continuously since 1928(the only exception being one year during WWII).

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yes, I was at Alabama in the Bryant years and they did all the orange stuff, the floated oranges in the fountain, put orange necklaces on the statutes, played Rocky Top constantly during practice.... He said nothing was as important as "beating the Cow College on the other side of the state", which especially true back when recruiting was much more localized. But make no mistake, Coach Bryant hated Tennessee and pulled out the stops to beat them.
And he never played against Auburn as a player...

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
He's right. We've both beaten the other more than any other opponent, we both represent border states, And I believe we've played them every year continuously longer than the next arguable candidate( the barn).
Think y'all are fourth for us all time among SEC schools. UGA, Florida, Mississippi State then Bama, I believe. Think Georgia Tech might be numbered second or third overall, matter of fact.

Last edited:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
He gets it - he always has, from day one.
I want to curb stomp the sloppy tops and blow cigar smoke in their face. Every.Single.Year.
The Barn? Well, I can't say on here what I'd like to see done to them. Mostly because they're arrogant poseurs, not because they are "rivals".

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
He gets it - he always has, from day one.
I want to curb stomp the sloppy tops and blow cigar smoke in their face. Every.Single.Year.
The Barn? Well, I can't say on here what I'd like to see done to them. Mostly because they're arrogant poseurs, not because they are "rivals".
No two teams have ever caused more grief for each other than Bama-Auburn. It's the greatest rivalry in college football.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I love the rivalry. Any time storied rivalries are ranked by national publications, the Iron Bowl is at or near the top.

I do wish the fans would cool it a bit though. On both sides.

"worthless scum" "arrogant poseur" LOL
....but they never will. And that's what makes it so great :)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
No two teams have ever caused more grief for each other than Bama-Auburn.
Sip, I disagree with that since Phil Fulmer is the most hated coach to stand on the opposite side of the field of any Alabama team. Dye, Gus, Tommy, spurrier, stoops, and Urban are annoying turds that rub in their successes over us in our faces given the chance, but fulmer went out of his way to try to permanently end our program. Fwiw he wasn't the only one about to spill the beans on us because spurrier has been quoted of saying to Dubose that he was going to turn us in for means, but Fulmer's involvement in it and his post behavior after it easily makes him the most despised person in Alabama fans minds. And their fans and administration relished in the whole thing because they "destroyed" Bama. The only thing that was positive out of the whole thing is that it eventually led to CNS coming to T town, but those years of grief due mostly to Tennessee were far worse than most, if not every, down times in Alabama history.

Sure auburn tried with the Gene Jelks incident, but it looked worse on Jelks than anyone else. I can take Auburn fans boasting about this and that , but since Tennessee tried to destroy our program in a cowardly act I hope they lose every half,every possession, every minute, every second, and every nano second of every game. Tennessee can burn forever.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
No two teams have ever caused more grief for each other than Bama-Auburn. It's the greatest rivalry in college football.
Probably in homes across the state, but not on the football field. This game almost always goes to the better team. There just aren't many upsets. Sure, because it is the last game of the season it can ruin seasons for teams on the cusp of something great, but when that happens it generally means that the team that got upset was pretty flawed going into the game.

Huge rivalry, and last game of the season. But most of the Alabama fans that I know and love do not celebrate after the win over Auburn - they breathe a sigh of relief and then move on with their weekend. Losses hurt worse than other losses, but wins are not celebrated like other big wins. Very strange relationship that Alabama fans have with this game.

pabe69

Jul 14, 2007
This is my first post after years of lurking. I just had to reply to this thread. I was born in Alabama but grew up in middle Tennessee and have been a BAMA fan my entire life. I attended high school with Fat Phil (actually two years ahead). Married into a family of diehard big orange fans. I did manage to convert my wife into a huge BAMA fan who now hates 10rC as much as I do. Her father was good friends with Johnny Majors and his family and during the years prior to Fulmer I enjoyed the rivalry. Since then, I have come to despise Tennessee. Being a die hard BAMA fan I hate for us to loose to anyone but more so to the puke orange than anyone. So, ROLL TIDE.

EscaTider

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2008
Flomaton, AL
Probably in homes across the state, but not on the football field. This game almost always goes to the better team. There just aren't many upsets. Sure, because it is the last game of the season it can ruin seasons for teams on the cusp of something great, but when that happens it generally means that the team that got upset was pretty flawed going into the game.

Huge rivalry, and last game of the season. But most of the Alabama fans that I know and love do not celebrate after the win over Auburn - they breathe a sigh of relief and then move on with their weekend. Losses hurt worse than other losses, but wins are not celebrated like other big wins. Very strange relationship that Alabama fans have with this game.
You hit the nail on the head B1G. I can't tell you the last time that I really enjoyed a victory over the barn- just relief in not losing.

UT, on the other hand- I've thoroughly enjoyed every win...especially those in this current 9 game streak.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.