Saban says Tennessee is Alabama's biggest rivalry

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
"I think you get very quickly a feel for what your own players on your own team, even that were here before you came here, what's important to them," Saban said. "And it was very obvious to me that the Tennessee game was always the biggest game. It was always the biggest game for us. That's no disrespect to Auburn or the great Iron Bowl rivalries. But to our players and a lot of our fans, the Tennessee game, because of the tradition of the game, [is important], so it didn't take long to figure that out."
From al.com

How much the SEC has been "Sabanized" is up for debate but with that nugget you know without a doubt that Saban has been "Bamaified."

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I've always felt that Auburn is a game we can't afford to lose in order to avoid embarrassment and a game they must win to be relevant. It always feels good to win just to know we don't have to deal with another darn shirt.

Tennessee is and always will be the game that I want us to rub it in on them. Its the delicious special cigar I get to smoke that I've been saving in my humidor for the whole season,it's the red and orange leaves of October, and it's the chance to get even for all those years in the wilderness that we endured under the fulmer regime and the streak.

Basically I view the auburn game as an intense sibling rivalry, and the Tennessee game as a deep rooted hatred filled with a rich tradition. IMO

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
When I started to UA, we'd only been playing Auburn for nine years, far fewer years than we've been playing ARK and USC, for example. Oh, we'd played them before, but not since the beginning of the 20th century. For that reason, the "tradition" with AU just hasn't ever climbed up there with the UT rivalry. In fact, of the Bama fans who believe that it would be better for AU to move east, where they belong geographically and MO to move to the west, where it belongs, almost all would be older fans such as myself. Both teams and schools would be far better off if it only were ever four years or so...

I guess I lived too far south to hate UT as some do. I've only disliked them because of Fulmer and we've dominated them as of recent times.

The Fulmer situation is enough though. I don't dislike them as much as I do Auburn because of my location but then doesn't mean I don't know what it means to dislike that school. I indeed understand why Saban would say that and that wonderful in my book.

I love that he's already boosting that game up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BamaFanInTally

All-SEC
Nov 18, 2002
Tallahassee, FL, USA
Some rivalries are very intense. Bama and UT definitely qualify in that respect. I just can't stand UT. Don't care if they never win another game. Like ever. LOL.

And while we are on UT, what team has a hound dog for a mascot, and a HC named Butch, who favors the mascot? Early morning pondering for sure! RTR.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The Iron Bowl is Auburn's Bowl Game.....that is why they feel so accomplished. Because they feel like they have made it to a bowl every year. And maybe they are right. Their last meaningful game most years is against a highly ranked Alabama

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
This validates everything I've been telling John Longshore about this for the last 10 years

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Did he give this answer in response to a question? Seems odd that he would want to talk about it weeks before the game, while the team is preparing for Kentucky.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Some rivalries are very intense. Bama and UT definitely qualify in that respect. I just can't stand UT. Don't care if they never win another game. Like ever. LOL.

And while we are on UT, what team has a hound dog for a mascot, and a HC named Butch, who favors the mascot? Early morning pondering for sure! RTR.

The mascot is much more Charming

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'm young enough where the Iron Bowl losing streak took up a significant part of my teenage to young adult years, but even then you could sense a greater animosity towards Tennessee. The desire to see that streak end as a fan was more about being tired of hearing Auburn people boast than a despising them in general. I mean, heck, there is a certain kind of charm in a rival whose whole conception of self is relative to your team. Tennessee the program, fanbase, etc is just plain loathsome.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Did he give this answer in response to a question? Seems odd that he would want to talk about it weeks before the game, while the team is preparing for Kentucky.
Yes a caller called, and asked him about his feelings about the rivalry in general.
Tennessee is the real rival, I'd be fine with Alabama not playing Auburn.
I agree. I would rather lose auburn as a permanent rivalry than Tennessee. Honestly I think Georgia and gt are better rivalries for auburn historically. I wasn't alive in the 70s but I've heard the auburn game was more or less another game, but the Tennessee game was THE game.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm young enough where the Iron Bowl losing streak took up a significant part of my teenage to young adult years, but even then you could sense a greater animosity towards Tennessee. The desire to see that streak end as a fan was more about being tired of hearing Auburn people boast than a despising them in general. I mean, heck, there is a certain kind of charm in a rival whose whole conception of self is relative to your team. Tennessee the program, fanbase, etc is just plain loathsome.
The Auburn streak was like you said more about shutting them up, and we all knew they wouldn't tie the series. The TSIO rivalry is a very streaky series, and the 7 game streak seemed to never end, and had Fran not put so much emphasis on breaking the streak it wouldn't have ended until 05. That would've been 10 in a row.

Bamagator

Scout Team
Jan 12, 2000
Wallace Wade, Frank Thomas, Red Drew, Paul Bryant, and Gene Stallings probably would agree.

Tennessee was the most important rivalry. The term "mid-season form" refers to a team having played enough to be in synch, before late season injuries take a toll on the roster. This game, being the litmus test, has always been played in mid-season.

As a little kid, I knew a gentleman who played on early 1930s teams. When talking about playing Tennessee, the look on his face changed, got serious, and his voice lowered. When talking about Auburn, it was simply a scowl; his teams never played Auburn.

Unfortunately, Fulmer's shady, conspiratorial attempts to cripple the Alabama program brought ugliness and contempt to what had been a mutually respectful rivalry.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
I think this is Saban's way of getting the team's attention for the UT game without "looking ahead". Something tells me that the attention factor will be turned up a notch in the locker room late Saturday night and the post game speech might be more intense than the pregame or halftime speech.

TraskiTideFan

1st Team
Apr 18, 2009
Savannah TN
Coach is right. Playing Tennessee is about State Pride and has always been the biggest rivalry. Playing Auburn at the end of the season is like playing your cousins at the Thanksgiving Family reunion every year. Every now and then they might win a game or two but its never quite such a big deal.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.