when having a gun for protection goes horribly wrong (atlanta)

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
A few observations.

First of all, his name is Tex and he can't use a gun properly?

Why is the driver not being identified? And how does a professional driver get lost, especially in the era of the GPS?

You think the cops would be this hush hush about it if it had been Leroy Washington shooting his wife while his buddy was driving them around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
A few observations.

Why is the driver not being identified? And how does a professional driver get lost, especially in the era of the GPS?

You think the cops would r this hush hush about it if it had been Leroy Washington shooting his wife while his buddy was driving them around?

the article said they were "avoiding traffic"

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
Guns, not made before the 60's do not just "go off." Check the facts.

Well...

I'm going to tell on myself with this one. I did have a negligent discharge once without touching the trigger. If you pop a round in the chamber when the slide is out of battery and disengage the slide stop to close the slide on a 1911 there is a chance the firing pin will hit the primer.

Lots of quirks like that with different firearms. Again, it's critical to know your firearm inside and out, and always practice safety fundamentals. I just ended up putting a round downrange, but if I wasn't acutely aware of safety it could have been a huge problem.

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
If it was an accident I feel sorry for him, he has to live with it but call me a skeptic here. If someone is driving my wife and I, she will normally get in the back to give me more leg room up front. Why are you directly behind your wife with a gun pointed AT her and not at the floor? I guess you could have it on your lap but why is your finger on the trigger and safety off if it has one? Why are you on the look out for carjackers? Not familiar with the area but is carjacking that common and if so, why the heck are you there? Why all the secrecy in the investigation? Way too many other questions for me not to be a little wary of this tale.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
There are so many people purchasing a pistol for protection these days that would have never thought to in the past. I have carried daily for a long time and I guess you would say I got really obsessive about it. I made sure I knew every part and how it functioned. Inside and out. I even got into reloading. I should have gone into engineering.

Most people won't do this. They just go to a store, get what they think they like, pop some rounds in it, and leave it in their purse, car, briefcase, etc. Most of these folks are good people. They just don't take the time to really understand how the firearm works and what can go wrong. I will stop short of calling this negligent, but it is definitely dangerous. There are so many resources out there to learn safe handling practices. I wish folks that KNOW they aren't fully knowledgeable about firearm safety would take the time to review the fundamentals.
I agree. I do not own a gun and have no desire to buy one. Frankly, I don't feel comfortable handling one. But that's on me, not the gun.

If I ever change my mind, I will do serious research on it. I won't just walk into a gun store and ask to buy whatever the sales clerk likes. I will find a training class and learn how to use it.

I didn't just get in a car one day and take off down the road because I could have killed somebody. A gun is no different.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
If it was an accident I feel sorry for him, he has to live with it but call me a skeptic here. If someone is driving my wife and I, she will normally get in the back to give me more leg room up front. Why are you directly behind your wife with a gun pointed AT her and not at the floor? I guess you could have it on your lap but why is your finger on the trigger and safety off if it has one? Why are you on the look out for carjackers? Not familiar with the area but is carjacking that common and if so, why the heck are you there? Why all the secrecy in the investigation? Way too many other questions for me not to be a little wary of this tale.
no it's not. piedmont is one of the major roads connecting downtown and buckhead.

on all of the mob movies, they have the guy that is going to get whacked ride in the front seat

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I remember Plaxico Burrus excusing himself for carrying the pistol with which he shot himself.
He said, (words to the effect of) "man, that bar was dangerous. I had to go armed."
I remember thinking, "man, if it's that dangerous, find another watering hole."

If I went to a part of Atlanta metro that I felt was so dangerous I felt I need to go armed and have a round in the chamber, I'd rethink my destinations.
"The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. ‘Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?’ ‘No ma’am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.’"

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I agree. I do not own a gun and have no desire to buy one. Frankly, I don't feel comfortable handling one. But that's on me, not the gun.

If I ever change my mind, I will do serious research on it. I won't just walk into a gun store and ask to buy whatever the sales clerk likes. I will find a training class and learn how to use it.

I didn't just get in a car one day and take off down the road because I could have killed somebody. A gun is no different.

I have seen people talk about how if people are required to carry insurance on their car, maybe we should require an insurance policy for gun owners.

There could even be a national pool to pay victims of accidental shootings if the shooter is unknown or uninsured.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Well...

I'm going to tell on myself with this one. I did have a negligent discharge once without touching the trigger. If you pop a round in the chamber when the slide is out of battery and disengage the slide stop to close the slide on a 1911 there is a chance the firing pin will hit the primer.

Lots of quirks like that with different firearms. Again, it's critical to know your firearm inside and out, and always practice safety fundamentals. I just ended up putting a round downrange, but if I wasn't acutely aware of safety it could have been a huge problem.
In my younger days, a young sergeant in the 101st Airborne in my unit was talking to a younger soldier about how the M1911 would not fire if you pushed in the front of the muzzle. So, the sergeant demonstrated by chambering a round, pushing the muzzle of the pistol into the palm of his left hand, and squeezing the trigger.
The results were not Darwinian, but they were pretty embarrassing to the sergeant. The bullet went through his left hand, between the metacarpal bones of his middle and ring fingers, miraculously causing no permanent serious harm. Once he was treated, he had to explain to the First Sergeant why he had thought demonstrating this would be a good idea.
The First Sergeant expressed his dismay and told him he was "not the smartest guy in the company" or words to that effect.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Finger through finger guard, period. It was either a negligent or fake negligent discharge. Why would any individual have a finger on a trigger when the gun was wrapped in a plastic Publix grocery bag, particularly someone knowledgeable, given his background?

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I think a training class with recurrent training should be required before a person can buy a weapon.

And yes I have weapons and a carry permit.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
I have seen people talk about how if people are required to carry insurance on their car, maybe we should require an insurance policy for gun owners.

There could even be a national pool to pay victims of accidental shootings if the shooter is unknown or uninsured.
Why are accidental shooting victims more worthy for monetary payment than intentional shooting victims?

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
A few observations.

You think the cops would be this hush hush about it if it had been Leroy Washington shooting his wife while his buddy was driving them around?

This report says that the other occupant of car was a female and the victim's best friend.

LINK

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.