when having a gun for protection goes horribly wrong (atlanta)

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
I agree. I do not own a gun and have no desire to buy one. Frankly, I don't feel comfortable handling one. But that's on me, not the gun.

If I ever change my mind, I will do serious research on it. I won't just walk into a gun store and ask to buy whatever the sales clerk likes. I will find a training class and learn how to use it.

I didn't just get in a car one day and take off down the road because I could have killed somebody. A gun is no different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People who are on the fence or anywhere close enough to the fence to see it should probably not get a firearm. I takes very little to carry one, but much more to commit to using it if necessary. Know thyself, right?

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
I have seen people talk about how if people are required to carry insurance on their car, maybe we should require an insurance policy for gun owners.

There could even be a national pool to pay victims of accidental shootings if the shooter is unknown or uninsured.

The most common argument to this is that you can't add a tax to a right. It would infringe and place an undue burden on those without the means to pay for it. It's sometimes called disparate impact.

Not starting an argument, just getting out in front of this one before an argument breaks out in a rational discussion. There is such insurance available and I have considered it myself.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
did they say that on the video portion? i didn't see it in the text. im also surprised that from where she was shot, they went to emory hospital instead of piedmont hospital
You never know what goes through a person's mind in a situation like this. They may have been more familiar with Emery or knew someone there. The info about the other occupant is in the video.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
You never know what goes through a person's mind in a situation like this. They may have been more familiar with Emery or knew someone there. The info about the other occupant is in the video.
thanks, i can't get sound on my work computer.

yeah, i was thinking there may be confusion on where to go, piedmont is a very large hospital/emergency room and was fairly close to where they were and the emory hospital is a smaller one about twice as far away. also, it is very difficult to get from the west side of piedmont park to emory quickly. knowing the area, it just struck me as odd.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
thanks, i can't get sound on my work computer.

yeah, i was thinking there may be confusion on where to go, piedmont is a very large hospital/emergency room and was fairly close to where they were and the emory hospital is a smaller one about twice as far away. also, it is very difficult to get from the west side of piedmont park to emory quickly. knowing the area, it just struck me as odd.
Emory is where wealthier people would want to go, not me their miss diagnosis nearly cost me my Dad about 10 years ago. If I get shot I want to go to Grady, or as an ER doc I used to hang out with referred to it "The Atlanta Gun and Knife Club"

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Emory is where wealthier people would want to go, not me their miss diagnosis nearly cost me my Dad about 10 years ago. If I get shot I want to go to Grady, or as an ER doc I used to hang out with referred to it "The Atlanta Gun and Knife Club"
Fun fact.....Whitman Mayo died at Grady Memorial Hospital.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Why are accidental shooting victims more worthy for monetary payment than intentional shooting victims?
Good question, and I guess they aren't.

I had in mind a fund that could be used for medical expenses for people shot by accident, but the same type pool would be helpful if you've been shot intentionally.

Someone upstream said this would be a tax on a right and won't fly. I'm not certain about that, but if mandatory insurance on guns is forbidden, then, in my opinion, there ought to be a way for the gun manufacturers to stand this expense.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
grady is supposedly one of the better er's in the country.

they updated the story again in the ajc. he claims he got scared at peachtree/pine (near the homeless shelter) and pulled the gun out, then fell asleep with it in his lap and they hit a bump.

nothing was reported until they showed up at the hospital.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Good question, and I guess they aren't.

I had in mind a fund that could be used for medical expenses for people shot by accident, but the same type pool would be helpful if you've been shot intentionally.

Someone upstream said this would be a tax on a right and won't fly. I'm not certain about that, but if mandatory insurance on guns is forbidden, then, in my opinion, there ought to be a way for the gun manufacturers to stand this expense.
agreed

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
grady is supposedly one of the better er's in the country.

they updated the story again in the ajc. he claims he got scared at peachtree/pine (near the homeless shelter) and pulled the gun out, then fell asleep with it in his lap and they hit a bump.

nothing was reported until they showed up at the hospital.
In front of Chicken and Waffles? Nothing gonna happen there either. I'd lay odds that Tex was banging his wife's friend at this point, something else going here if not

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
In front of Chicken and Waffles? Nothing gonna happen there either. I'd lay odds that Tex was banging his wife's friend at this point, something else going here if not
i drive that same intersection at least twice a week. the shakespeare tavern is also right there. it definitely seems like something shady is going on

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I think a training class with recurrent training should be required before a person can buy a weapon.

And yes I have weapons and a carry permit.
I just turned 67 y/o and received my training in the US Army, including 2 yrs in combat in Vietnam. I've carried a weapon for 40+ years since.
Who would you suggest train me? Who is qualified enough to determine whether I should be permitted to carry a weapon?

Evidently you're fine with the government stealing your rights and then selling them back to you in the way of "permits".

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
How does everyone feel about a permit to vote? A permit to freely speak in public? A permit to remain silent? To me, a gun permit is on equal footing. Having certain liberties removed as a course of due process is different.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
from the ajc today

Atlanta police on Tuesday pushed back against a family spokesman’s account of how Diane McIver — a high profile business executive — was fatally shot on the edge of Piedmont Park recently, saying the case is “more complicated” than has been portrayed.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.