when having a gun for protection goes horribly wrong (atlanta)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
this happened over the weekend in atlanta. an atlanta attorney shot and killed his wife. he had his gun out in the car because he was afraid of being car-jacked.

The Fulton Daily Report, a publication specializing in news about the legal community, reported that McIver inadvertently killed her. He was on the lookout for carjackers when the shooting occurred, the publication reported.

The driver exited at Edgewood Avenue to avoid a traffic jam on the Downtown Connector, the paper reported. After some wrong turns, it wound up on Piedmont Avenue. Fearing a carjacking, McIver armed himself with a handgun in the SUV, according to the article. It went off, fatally injuring his wife.
link to ajc

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
this happened over the weekend in atlanta. an atlanta attorney shot and killed his wife. he had his gun out in the car because he was afraid of being car-jacked.

link to ajc
they live in Buckhead and get freaked out on Peidmont? There is nothing scary on Peidmont outside of seeing Baton Bob in a speedo, wth is wrong with that guy?

and I agree with Matt, this was stupid gun handling

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
they live in Buckhead and get freaked out on Peidmont? There is nothing scary on Peidmont outside of seeing Baton Bob in a speedo, wth is wrong with that guy?

and I agree with Matt, this was stupid gun handling
yes it was stupid gun handling, i have always been of the mind that there is no such thing as an accidental discharge of a firearm. and piedmont is not remotely scary.

there is a lot that seems weird about this story.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I used to work with a big shot at a bank, he was very pro gun, over the top with it. He worked in a different town, so we were on the phone a lot. Until he was cleaning his pistol in a tiled bathroom at home and it went off, rupturing both eardrums. From then on, we had to email all our stuff, which was a pain compared to just talking.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
There are so many people purchasing a pistol for protection these days that would have never thought to in the past. I have carried daily for a long time and I guess you would say I got really obsessive about it. I made sure I knew every part and how it functioned. Inside and out. I even got into reloading. I should have gone into engineering.

Most people won't do this. They just go to a store, get what they think they like, pop some rounds in it, and leave it in their purse, car, briefcase, etc. Most of these folks are good people. They just don't take the time to really understand how the firearm works and what can go wrong. I will stop short of calling this negligent, but it is definitely dangerous. There are so many resources out there to learn safe handling practices. I wish folks that KNOW they aren't fully knowledgeable about firearm safety would take the time to review the fundamentals.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
when your cover story for killing your wife goes horribly wrong?
I know this is said in jest, but these are real people in a real, tragic situation. A man just lost his wife due to his own mishandling of a firearm. That has to be one of the worst feelings in the world.

Idk, I just don't see anything funny in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I know this is said in jest, but these are real people in a real, tragic situation. A man just lost his wife due to his own mishandling of a firearm. That has to be one of the worst feelings in the world.

Idk, I just don't see anything funny in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think it's funny. It will be investigated. Call me cynical. Hope I'm wrong. Either way she's dead and he's not.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
The husband won a Bronze star in Vietnam so you'd think he's not completely ignorant of firearms. He doesn't look to young though.
Maybe he didn't carry since then. I recall some family members recounting their basic training stories before hitting the front lines in 'Nam. Most of them didn't get a whole lot of training with their pistols. Mostly rifle, and not a lot of training with those either.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
seems like the "best case" scenario is that he was holding the gun with his finger on the trigger and they hit a bump.
I remember Plaxico Burrus excusing himself for carrying the pistol with which he shot himself.
He said, (words to the effect of) "man, that bar was dangerous. I had to go armed."
I remember thinking, "man, if it's that dangerous, find another watering hole."

If I went to a part of Atlanta metro that I felt was so dangerous I felt I needed to go armed and have a round in the chamber, I'd rethink my destinations.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.