Question: Jalen vs Cooper's skill set and the playbook moving forward

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
Just wanting to get everyones thoughts now that Blake has moved on and Cooper steps in as the number two quarterback. What will the playbook look like when Cooper comes in?...will it be limited or will it stay essentially the same?

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Just wanting to get everyones thoughts now that Blake has moved on and Cooper steps in as the number two quarterback. What will the playbook look like when Cooper comes in?...will it be limited or will it stay essentially the same?
I don't think it would change much. From what I remember Cooper is also considered a dual-threat QB, so you could run similar plays. I think Coop might need to run it a little more though. I may be wrong with my memory, but it seems when I've seen him play he doesn't keep it enough or take advantage of open space with his legs. That would help keep defenses more honest. Krymsonman

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Cooper needs to be ready to keep it a few time but the 10+ keeps per game would be a thing of the past with Jalen off the field.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
it should be essentially the same, minus all the deep play action passes. Cooper does not throw well past 25 yards.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Hurts has the capacity to throw it deep just not the actualization of all the technique and timing to get it done.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
B1GTide, I see what you did there. I have to say that I agree with you. He can't throw deep ball until he fixes that. My understanding is that based on an article I read on about the receivers, they said that they don't get lot of time with Hurts during the practice, because it's always different quarterbacks throwing to them. They stay late or come early to get the timing right with Hurts. So, I would say Hurts has got better and I expect him to connect on 1 or 2 deep ball tomorrow night.

The offense shouldn't change and I think it actually benefits us more to have Bateman as back up instead of Barnett. Look at last year. I think we'll be fine.

BigGunn

1st Team
Dec 5, 2004
Pace, Florida
I find it comforting to know CB would be next up. I believe CLK can find enough plays that Bateman can run that he can be successful and given a series or two in mop up would be ready if something happens to Hurts. He's been getting 1st team reps in practice for two years and is mature enough to be content being a "game manager". Personally, I don't think Hurts will be injured as a result of his running anymore than any the other running QBs in the SEC. We are in a better place than we were when Croyle went down.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
B1GTide, I see what you did there. I have to say that I agree with you. He can't throw deep ball until he fixes that. My understanding is that based on an article I read on about the receivers, they said that they don't get lot of time with Hurts during the practice, because it's always different quarterbacks throwing to them. They stay late or come early to get the timing right with Hurts. So, I would say Hurts has got better and I expect him to connect on 1 or 2 deep ball tomorrow night.

The offense shouldn't change and I think it actually benefits us more to have Bateman as back up instead of Barnett. Look at last year. I think we'll be fine.
I am pulling for him and agree that Bateman is a closer skill match than Blake.

MobileBama84

Scout Team
Aug 30, 2016
Daphne, AL
I think Cooper will run a very similar game that Jalen does and won't change at all. Of course, if the game this weekend against Kentucky goes as much of us think it will, we will get to see first hand what Cooper will do. He hasn't really had that much playing time for us to go by so far, so I would love to see him out on the field for some meaningful snaps rather than strictly mop-up time.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think Cooper will run a very similar game that Jalen does and won't change at all. Of course, if the game this weekend against Kentucky goes as much of us think it will, we will get to see first hand what Cooper will do. He hasn't really had that much playing time for us to go by so far, so I would love to see him out on the field for some meaningful snaps rather than strictly mop-up time.
Until Hurts gets the passing game down, he should get all of the reps, IMO. If you win a championship this season, he will be the one to get you there.

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany
Until Hurts gets the passing game down, he should get all of the reps, IMO. If you win a championship this season, he will be the one to get you there.
B1GTide, I respectfully disagree with you on this one. To say the only way Bama will win a championship is with Hurts at QB, kind of refutes our recent history. Bama has shown several times that it can win with a QB that limits turn overs and makes good decisions because the other players around the QB are great athletes and are well coached...and typically just better/meaner/tougher (which I attribute to the head coach) along the offensive and defensive lines than most other teams. I think recent history shows that when Bama doesn't win, it is typically because they don't seem ready to play, they made too many mistakes in turnovers and/or penalties, or they didn't take the other team serious enough in their preparation. I also think too many folks are making too much of Cooper Bateman's perceived lack of arm strength and ability to throw deep. He wouldn't be a QB if he couldn't throw it more than 25 yards. He may not be able to throw it on a rope deep down the field, but with good timing and anticipation I am very confident he can hit receivers in stride deep down the field. And maybe we can develop a play that has OJ Howard running deep down the center of the field like we see every Sunday :)

MobileBama84

Scout Team
Aug 30, 2016
Daphne, AL
Oh yeah, most definitely. I was just hoping we could see Cooper play most of the 4th quarter instead of only 2-3 series and only handing the ball off. :smile:

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I would laugh my butt off if Saban started Cooper.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Without that, he can't execute. What else matters?
Hoping for Bateman to become a solid deep thrower is akin to hoping an apple can become an orange.

Hoping for Hurts to become a solid deep thrower is akin to hoping an apple can become an apple pie. You'll have to work a bit, it'll take some added ingredients, but it is actually possible.

Last edited:

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
I would think that CB knows the play book better than JH. The question is can he execute it.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
My guess is once Jalen lands a long one to Ridley or Stewart he will start connecting regularly. If I remember correctly Coker threw a play action pass to Calvin for a TD against UGA. From that point forward he did it in almost every game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.