Question: Jalen vs Cooper's skill set and the playbook moving forward

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Hurts will be just fine once he realizes our receivers aren’t 15 feet tall.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I think Cooper will run a very similar game that Jalen does and won't change at all. Of course, if the game this weekend against Kentucky goes as much of us think it will, we will get to see first hand what Cooper will do. He hasn't really had that much playing time for us to go by so far, so I would love to see him out on the field for some meaningful snaps rather than strictly mop-up time.
It would be terrific ( that is, great for the team ) if Coop could spend some solid, quality time behind the 1st O line somewhere along the way tomorrow night. Would really set us up well moving forward.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Just wanting to get everyones thoughts now that Blake has moved on and Cooper steps in as the number two quarterback. What will the playbook look like when Cooper comes in?...will it be limited or will it stay essentially the same?
Don't expect much change. Cooper is also mobil. Blake was the Drop Back guy, but he didn't move well. I expect that Jalen and Cooper will run the same plays. The one thing I would really like to see is for Jalen and Cooper to develope eyes in the back of their heads. Blake Sims had it. He felt the pressure coming, and was able to take a step and they generally missed him.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
I hope we keep Jalen in the game for at least the full 3rd quarter today if we are up by 20+ on Kentucky at halftime. The more reps this kid gets, the better. Even in garbage time.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
I am thankful to have Jalen in the backfield right now, through 5 games it doesn't seem that our O line has jelled yet completely. And, until it does I'm glad Jalen is back there with his ability to escape pressure and get positive yardage out of it. Just imagine though when our O line jells, and Jalen becomes more confident in the pocket.. Whoa Nellie..

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
It's time for our Offense to start hitting on all cylinders. Arkansas is this next weekend. They will give us their best game. (Doesn't everybody?)

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
B1GTide, I respectfully disagree with you on this one. To say the only way Bama will win a championship is with Hurts at QB, kind of refutes our recent history. Bama has shown several times that it can win with a QB that limits turn overs and makes good decisions because the other players around the QB are great athletes and are well coached...and typically just better/meaner/tougher (which I attribute to the head coach) along the offensive and defensive lines than most other teams. I think recent history shows that when Bama doesn't win, it is typically because they don't seem ready to play, they made too many mistakes in turnovers and/or penalties, or they didn't take the other team serious enough in their preparation. I also think too many folks are making too much of Cooper Bateman's perceived lack of arm strength and ability to throw deep. He wouldn't be a QB if he couldn't throw it more than 25 yards. He may not be able to throw it on a rope deep down the field, but with good timing and anticipation I am very confident he can hit receivers in stride deep down the field. And maybe we can develop a play that has OJ Howard running deep down the center of the field like we see every Sunday :)
Good post. Yes, our history has never been about putting the team on the back of one player. Example, we invest in 10 chicken houses instead of one, just like you would with your stocks. There is no doubt with the current rules that having a mobile quarterback is an advantage, and I am more than happy with Jalen. Our evolving into a a more vertical game, a dual threat, should come with some balance. And that balance is that the quarterback is still a game manager, that makes few mistakes, and tries to get the ball to our enormous amount of play makers, in addition to his contributions.

Jalen is young, and I care more about his development than anything else. If healthy, he could start for four years. I expect Jalen to continue improving accuracy on the deep ball. And many times, the coaches will have out quarterback throw a long rope at 80% arm strength and see where is lands, make that consistent and time the receiver to be there. So working with the receivers is crucial. Where Jalen will place it is unique to his arm, just like all other quarterbacks.

I am happy with Jalen. He is becoming more focused and less emotional imo, which I like. Consistency, do your thing, get the ball to our 3 or 4 NFL caliber receivers, and make minimal mistakes.

Jacobs is a God Send. He runs like an NFL rb. He has blown me away. RB was a little questionable coming in, he has been an MVP to me. Jacobs accumulated 144 all-purpose yards and gained first downs on eight of his 19 touches this past week.

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Stop and think that this staff has decided that Bateman's steady performance is less than the streaky inconsistent play that comes from a true freshmen quarterback. This staff has accepted those risks over Bateman's ability. Let that sink in. You don't think with this defense and the running game that is emerging that Saban wouldn't love to have an upperclassman at the helm to steady the ship and get the offense in the right plays and get the ball to his playmakers? Instead we are living and dying with the freshmen. We've shown the ability to win with lesser talent at the quarterback position, but I don't think we could with Bateman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.