Bama players kneeling before game

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Buzz: I agree that we all have a lot of work to do in the area of race relations. But this has to be a two way street, and that means both sides have to be actively involved in moving forward and letting go of those things that keep us anchored to the past.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Buzz: I agree that we all have a lot of work to do in the area of race relations. But this has to be a two way street, and that means both sides have to be actively involved in moving forward and letting go of those things that keep us anchored to the past.
Oh trust me, I agree. We all are apart of the problem and we are all apart of the solution.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I don't think I have ever mentioned this on here, but last year I saw racism with my own eyes for the first time. It happened at our store and with a Marine no less! I was in disbelief when he left. That was the worst customer I have ever encountered, and I have seen a lot. I just can't believe some people have such hate in their heart. He got so irate that I didn't stop what I was doing to help him over these two black men.

We had two black men come into the store needing a part. I was out at their truck helping them when a white guy pulled in. I saw the man walk into our store and it wasn't 30 seconds later he came out to where I was. By this time I was on the phone calling to ask about these two men's part. He asked me while I was on the phone where such and such was. I told him I would be with him in a second. He had made his way back inside and out back to our shop where my coworker and brother was helping another customer (a Latino). I later learned that once he found my coworker and brother that he proceeded to ask them if there was anyone here that could help him and if that woman out front worked here. Bobby said yes she does and what do you need. He said well she's out there helping them jungle monkeys and I can't believe I came back from a tour to get treated like this (all this happening in front of the Latino customer). So Bobby and my brother stopped what they were doing to get this man his $2 part. By this time I had made my way in to help him when I saw they had already got his part. This man was so mad that he was shaking and throwing money onto the desk. I was standing off to the side listening to this man have such anger and madness going on that I couldn't believe what I was seeing so I had a look on my face kinda like this dude is crazy. He saw me I guess because he said yeah you can laugh now, but you were out there helping them (insert N word). I said I told you I would be with you in a moment, and he keep saying I can't believe I come back home and get treated like this, and more nonsense. He then left, and I thank God those two men didn't follow me inside because there isn't any telling what this man would have said.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
The friend of mine in my previous post, he and I went to a local MMA event several years ago. Most of these events are attended by white folks. But we both had never seen one live so we wanted to check it out. So we go and at the front door there was "random" security checks. The line was long getting in so we were in line for a minute and leading up to us getting in no one was told to empty their pockets, or step out of line etc. We get to the front and I go in and then he comes in behind me and low and behold guess who gets "randomly" picked for a security check? IMO, it was obvious why they picked him. We'd stood in line for 20 minutes or longer watching people in front of us go in and not one person was checked. Yet amazingly when we get to the front he get's "picked".

I don't think I have ever mentioned this on here, but last year I saw racism with my own eyes for the first time. It happened at our store and with a Marine no less! I was in disbelief when he left. That was the worst customer I have ever encountered, and I have seen a lot. I just can't believe some people have such hate in their heart. He got so irate that I didn't stop what I was doing to help him over these two black men.

We had two black men come into the store needing a part. I was out at their truck helping them when a white guy pulled in. I saw the man walk into our store and it wasn't 30 seconds later he came out to where I was. By this time I was on the phone calling to ask about these two men's part. He asked me while I was on the phone where such and such was. I told him I would be with him in a second. He had made his way back inside and out back to our shop where my coworker and brother was helping another customer (a Latino). I later learned that once he found my coworker and brother that he proceeded to ask them if there was anyone here that could help him and if that woman out front worked here. Bobby said yes she does and what do you need. He said well she's out there helping them jungle monkeys and I can't believe I came back from a tour to get treated like this (all this happening in front of the Latino customer). So Bobby and my brother stopped what they were doing to get this man his $2 part. By this time I had made my way in to help him when I saw they had already got his part. This man was so mad that he was shaking and throwing money onto the desk. I was standing off to the side listening to this man have such anger and madness going on that I couldn't believe what I was seeing so I had a look on my face kinda like this dude is crazy. He saw me I guess because he said yeah you can laugh now, but you were out there helping them (insert N word). I said I told you I would be with you in a moment, and he keep saying I can't believe I come back home and get treated like this, and more nonsense. He then left, and I thank God those two men didn't follow me inside because there isn't any telling what this man would have said.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
I don't think I have ever mentioned this on here, but last year I saw racism with my own eyes for the first time. It happened at our store and with a Marine no less! I was in disbelief when he left. That was the worst customer I have ever encountered, and I have seen a lot.
Yes, we still have racism in this country, and it has been so for centuries. Neither side is immune from it nor do either have a moral high ground. Unfortunately it's a part of the history of not only our country but most of the entire world. There is no placing of blame because it doesn't matter. The only thing that does matter is trying to put it all behind us, if possible, and doing whatever we can to end it in our nation.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA

Self-important veterans are a growing problem. I sometimes wonder if they joined just so they could feel superior to other citizens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Yes, we still have racism in this country, and it has been so for centuries. Neither side is immune from it nor do either have a moral high ground. Unfortunately it's a part of the history of not only our country but most of the entire world. There is no placing of blame because it doesn't matter. The only thing that does matter is trying to put it all behind us, if possible, and doing whatever we can to end it in our nation.
I do not know the preacher's name but I saw it on FB a while back. He was a black pastor and said (paraphrasing) "At some point people both black and white are going to have to mentally and emotionally create a clean slate for each other and move forward from there." Granted he said a lot more but that one particular point stood out.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I do not know the preacher's name but I saw it on FB a while back. He was a black pastor and said (paraphrasing) "At some point people both black and white are going to have to mentally and emotionally create a clean slate for each other and move forward from there." Granted he said a lot more but that one particular point stood out.
that's a nice sentiment, but black folks (and other minorities) have a whole lot more to clean from their slate and there is still a lot being written on their slate just because of their race

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I personally don't care what people do as long as it doesn't infringe or threaten someone else's freedoms. I feel that there are racial issues in America, and I do think a certain portion of the country are deeply worried about these issues, but there are a good portion that using other's worries as an avenue to profit of them or are just wanting to be a part of something they aren't truly invested in just to be a part of something

For the flag specifically:

As a veteran I stand not for the freedoms that some believe the national anthem promises, I stand for my brothers and sisters who sacrifice their lives in countries that most would not volunteer to go. The national anthem, the specific verse that we recite, is about the battle of fort mchenry in which a very inexperienced new US unit held the greatest army in the world at the time that just whipped Napoleon at bay. I feel that our national anthem is telling more of the bravery and determination of those soldiers than freedoms that the constitution promises. Most national anthems do tell promises and political platforms that those countries outline. Compare the star spangled banner to the Russian national anthem and I think you can see my point. I personally think "America the beautiful" really should be our national anthem. But I can see other's view of the star spangled banner being an outline of freedoms, and I can respect their rights to express their views as long as they do it respectfully. So I HAVE NO PROBLEM with this particular stance.

For Colin kapernick:

I think it is very convenient that he takes this stance when Blane gabbert is about to be the starter. Also why does he feel that America is all the sudden racially oppressing some group of people post MLK? Has he not cared about the Native Americans, or even known how they are still oppressed by the US government. If anything his stance has done the US government a solid by taking the focus off the Redskins name, and the situation in Montana from the public eye. It's a bit hypocritical in my opinion.

To close my stance I'll end with Volitaire's quote (I might butcher this) " I may not agree that which you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it"

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Self-important veterans are a growing problem. I sometimes wonder if they joined just so they could feel superior to other citizens.

Please clarify "self- important veterans". I may or not agree with what you define it as, but I'm not going to rant until you clarify. Just more curious at this point.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Reviewing the posts, we're NOT getting it.

The issue is NOT racism - it's OPPRESSION. THAT'S the accusation from Kaepernick.

Those are two different things - related things in some contexts but different things.

Like it or not, girls with big racks are always going to turn more heads than flat-chested women. That doesn't make me a misogynist, it's simply reality. Men with hair are going to have chances for dates that bald-headed men don't have - it's reality. Jerks born into money or who marry guys who wind up President have an easier time getting nominated for President than a modern-day Abe Lincoln - that's reality. There are no homes for unwed FATHERS - that's simply reality.

And athletes at most big football schools get to skate past the rules and get away with stuff that would get other students expelled from the school. This - too - is reality, and maybe the athlete raised in his own form of privilege has received other free passes solely because he was a quarterback.

The accusation is NOT that racism exists because guess what? It exists in every society in the world in some form. That, too is reality.

But these are not the days of Jim Crow - government enforced segregation/separate but unequal treatment.

The FACT is we ALL profile. None of you think of an aged grandmother when you're told there was a suicide bombing at the airport (you think of an Asian with a Koran), when you're told there's a serial killer loose (aren't these almost ALL white dudes except for Richard Ramirez?), or 'inner city shooting over drug deal gone bad' (you think - most likely - black guy with rap sheet a mile long). It is every day life for all of us.

Kaepernick has accused cops of MURDER. Not racism, MURDER!!! "Oh and then they get a paid vacation" is basically what he said.

He is, quite frankly, proving every time he kneels that what he's protesting isn't really occurring. Nobody is forcibly picking him up and ending his life over his protest.

And just like the Trump thread where I brought up economics, it's not as simple as "well, they treat us different because we are black because they are racist." That MIGHT be true and in fact no doubt IS true in SOME cases. But there are other variables - including the fact that as I documented on the Kap thread, there are more whites killed by cops yearly than blacks AND these folks are almost always armed (which should not be confused with 'not dangerous').

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Reviewing the posts, we're NOT getting it.

The issue is NOT racism - it's OPPRESSION. THAT'S the accusation from Kaepernick.

Those are two different things - related things in some contexts but different things.

Like it or not, girls with big racks are always going to turn more heads than flat-chested women. That doesn't make me a misogynist, it's simply reality. Men with hair are going to have chances for dates that bald-headed men don't have - it's reality. Jerks born into money or who marry guys who wind up President have an easier time getting nominated for President than a modern-day Abe Lincoln - that's reality. There are no homes for unwed FATHERS - that's simply reality.

And athletes at most big football schools get to skate past the rules and get away with stuff that would get other students expelled from the school. This - too - is reality, and maybe the athlete raised in his own form of privilege has received other free passes solely because he was a quarterback.

The accusation is NOT that racism exists because guess what? It exists in every society in the world in some form. That, too is reality.

But these are not the days of Jim Crow - government enforced segregation/separate but unequal treatment.

The FACT is we ALL profile. None of you think of an aged grandmother when you're told there was a suicide bombing at the airport (you think of an Asian with a Koran), when you're told there's a serial killer loose (aren't these almost ALL white dudes except for Richard Ramirez?), or 'inner city shooting over drug deal gone bad' (you think - most likely - black guy with rap sheet a mile long). It is every day life for all of us.

Kaepernick has accused cops of MURDER. Not racism, MURDER!!! "Oh and then they get a paid vacation" is basically what he said.

He is, quite frankly, proving every time he kneels that what he's protesting isn't really occurring. Nobody is forcibly picking him up and ending his life over his protest.

And just like the Trump thread where I brought up economics, it's not as simple as "well, they treat us different because we are black because they are racist." That MIGHT be true and in fact no doubt IS true in SOME cases. But there are other variables - including the fact that as I documented on the Kap thread, there are more whites killed by cops yearly than blacks AND these folks are almost always armed (which should not be confused with 'not dangerous').
I agree with your whole stance on kapernick. I just think BLM , the young Turks, and pretty much else has used his "stance" as a catalyst to promote a nation of white privilege systematic racism. I also agree that to a degree we all have personal values that others would consider racist. All we post or say on the subject has the same amount of success of "curing" the problem as people sitting during the national anthem. Which is none. You can't cure the system or every individual mindset to have the change or utopia that is desired by this stance.

Did the Spanish cure the Indian mindset through military and spiritual conquistadors? Did the North cure the racial inequality in the country? Did the Soviets cure the economic and social inequality of tsarist Russia? Did MLK and other activists achieve complete acceptance of African Americans?No. So at what point will these "murders" end if people way more organized failed?

But again I support their rights to express themselves in a peaceful way

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I agree with your whole stance on kapernick. I just think BLM , the young Turks, and pretty much else has used his "stance" as a catalyst to promote a nation of white privilege systematic racism. I also agree that to a degree we all have personal values that others would consider racist. All we post or say on the subject has the same amount of success of "curing" the problem as people sitting during the national anthem. Which is none. You can't cure the system or every individual mindset to have the change or utopia that is desired by this stance.

Did the Spanish cure the Indian mindset through military and spiritual conquistadors? Did the North cure the racial inequality in the country? Did the Soviets cure the economic and social inequality of tsarist Russia? Did MLK and other activists achieve complete acceptance of African Americans?No. So at what point will these "murders" end if people way more organized failed?

But again I support their rights to express themselves in a peaceful way
Oh, I completely support his right to protest and took up arms to defend it. Of course, I have a right to call him a ....., too, and the same folks defending his 'right' better defend mine as well.

But it's not REALLY doing anything. Wearing red ribbons did not prevent even ONE person from getting AIDS. This protest even if joined by thousands will not stop even one cop from shooting someone, particularly someone who pulls anything resembling a piece.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Please clarify "self- important veterans". I may or not agree with what you define it as, but I'm not going to rant until you clarify. Just more curious at this point.
I'm talking about the guys who, whether still on active duty or moved on to civilian life, seem to think that as a veteran, their opinion is the final say. Guys who seemed to join just so they can tell other people how much more of a true American they are than those who have not served. Guys who yell at workers at an auto parts store about how they "didn't fight terrorists in Iraq for this blah blah blah".

I am not talking about the veteran who is proud to have served his country, doesn't mind talking about his service, flies an American flag and has his "Iraq War Veteran" tag on his truck. I am specifically referring to those who try to browbeat others with their service, usually over some minor point of difference, and think that they are owed something.

I by no means think such veterans are anywhere near a majority. But I have personally noticed an increase in such behavior, which I think is very lamentable.

I hope I have clarified this sufficiently. :)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm talking about the guys who, whether still on active duty or moved on to civilian life, seem to think that as a veteran, their opinion is the final say. Guys who seemed to join just so they can tell other people how much more of a true American they are than those who have not served. Guys who yell at workers at an auto parts store about how they "didn't fight terrorists in Iraq for this blah blah blah".

I am not talking about the veteran who is proud to have served his country, doesn't mind talking about his service, flies an American flag and has his "Iraq War Veteran" tag on his truck. I am specifically referring to those who try to browbeat others with their service, usually over some minor point of difference, and think that they are owed something.

I by no means think such veterans are anywhere near a majority. But I have personally noticed an increase in such behavior, which I think is very lamentable.

I hope I have clarified this sufficiently. :)

That's kinda what I thought you meant, and I agree. It's just Rebs post was trying to say you were disrespecting the military, and I didn't think it was remotely what you were talking about.

I have similar instances of what you are talking about. A big pet peeve of mine before I started considering getting out was the whole stolen valor stuff. I saw instances of it way before don Shipley started making it an Internet phenomenon. I still am against civilians doing it for personal gains and an ego boost, but the law states as long as no benefits or financial gains are made off of it then it falls under the 1st amendment.

Then close to the end of my enlistment, the Don Shipley videos really started to become big, and a lot of vets started doing it themselves. What most don't understand is Don does it mostly in cases that people actually put that they were navy seals on their job resume who were. So he is mostly calling them out because they are actually doing it illegally. To keep along story short I've seen more cases in which vets are going out of their way in attacking these ignorant people that aren't actually breaking the law. I've personally seen a high schooler attacked for wearing his dad's acu jacket to support him at a high school game.

But to the original point... Yes I've seen a growing number of my brethren trying to pull rank on civilians. And like you said it's nowhere close to a majority, but it's like Harvey Updike is to Bama fans in that the vast majority have sense and control but that one idiot gives all us a bad image.

Last edited:

RhodeIslandRed

All-SEC
Dec 9, 2005
It's not. But from a public standpoint (media standpoint) that's what is being portrayed and that's simply not the case. I'm not surprised but the media isn't asking enough questions. Because when you start asking detailed questions and searching for honest answers it leads you away from the narrative of "White cops are just targeting black men because of the color of their skin because they hate blacks." And they can't have that narrative squashed or business starts to die down.
On the topic of the media, they have an extraordinary amount of say on which protests (or events) get covered. So if you want to stage a protest, what do you do? March on Washington? Every year there is a Pro-life demonstration there that no one hears about. Last week there was another school shooting in Townville, SC, that was covered by Fox News affiliate that hardly drew national attention. So where do you protest to draw attention in the US now? Clearly it would be at venues that draw high Neilson ratings like sporting events -- where millions are watching.

I wanted to mention something about CA's friend's experience and social justices. Clearly they were sensitive to law enforcement's use of profiling. So they knew certain behaviors will draw unwanted attention. So why do police profile? It helps them make quick decisions that are sometimes necessary to avert a situation. Why have they singled out African Americans and not other minirities such as Asians? Because AA's have a tendency to be involved in violent and nonviolent crimes disproportionate to their representation in the population. So why is this the case? My hypothesis is the destabilization of the AA family unit due to socioeconomic factors. With each downturn in the economic cycle places extra burden on the family unit to resist degrading dignity and then cohesion. This last downturn has been unusually severe where recovery has been absent and has dissolved many family units, including white families as well. So how did we get into this Great Recession? I think members here have a good historical recollection. Hence we have the Occupy Movement to which Wall Street and Washington have ignored. In turn we have 'their' choice of Presidential candidates and the continued dissolving of America.

Last edited:

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
That's kinda what I thought you meant, and I agree. It's just Rebs post was trying to say you were disrespecting the military, and I didn't think it was remotely what you were talking about.

I have similar instances of what you are talking about. A big pet peeve of mine before I started cobsidering getting out was the whole stolen valor stuff. I saw instances of it way before don Shipley started making it an Internet phenomenon. I still am against civilians doing it for personal gains and an ego boost, but the law states as long as no benefits or financial gains are made off of it then it falls under the 1st amendment.

Then close to the end of my enlistment, the Don Shipley videos really started to become big, and a lot of vets started doing it themselves. What most don't understand is Don does it mostly in cases that people actually put that they were navy seals on their job resume who were. So he is mostly calling them out because they are actually doing it illegally. To keep along story short I've seen more cases in which vets are going out of their way in attacking these ignorant people that aren't actually breaking the law. I've personally seen a high schooler attacked for wearing his dad's acu jacket to support him at a high school game.

But to the original point... Yes I've seen a growing number of my brethren trying to pull rank on civilians. And like you said it's nowhere close to a majority, but it's like Harvey Updike is to Bama fans in that the vast majority have sense and control but that one idiot gives all us a bad image.
Yeah I was surprised Bama Reb took it that way, but going back and reading my comment I can kinda see how it could come off like that.

I agree with the stolen valor thing. Those people irk me, but the public shaming of people who don't seem to really be "all there" has gone over the top IMO.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Well, now that I have read all of this, time for the forum nerd to stick his unusually large proboscis out there.

Funny how no one has brought the fact that Colon Pumpernickel didn't have any of these............uh.........concerns, until he....................

Converted to Islam.

Fact.

I'll let y'all ponder that mystery, whilst I torture '92 with some surf music............

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
Yeah I was surprised Bama Reb took it that way, but going back and reading my comment I can kinda see how it could come off like that.

I agree with the stolen valor thing. Those people irk me, but the public shaming of people who don't seem to really be "all there" has gone over the top IMO.

I'm a direct kind of guy, and responded to what I thought was the tone of your post. I'm actually glad you didn't mean it the way it sounded.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.