What is hurting our offense worse.....

peariver

1st Team
Jan 31, 2009
SW Georgia
Re: What is hurting our offense wose.....

I have to say penalties as well. We need to eliminate false starts and get back to being one of the least penalized teams in the nation. Other than that I think our woes, at least mine come from wanting us to drive the ball down the field and score every possession and several times we don't because we are trying to improve our team as a whole. I'll be the first during a game to get upset with Kiffin calling an 30+ yard pass play that fails when we have just ran the ball two plays for eight and nine yards. In the end, I think our woes come from the fact that we won a game 34-6 that we could have won 50+ to 6. I think we are going to be fine.

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN

Penalties and our hesitancy to start the game pounding the ball with the traditional run game. Plus our apparent disinterest in running short, quick routes that will get the ball out of Jalen's hands faster and build his confidence with high percentage passes. Guys like Howard and Dieter would be perfect for that

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

When you have a new starter at C snapping the ball to a TF QB, there will be growing pains no doubt about that at all, but, we're still one of the most dangerous & most explosive offenses in college football..I can deal with the few growing pans we encounter from time to time cause this is a fun offense to watch as it continues to evolve on another NC run..

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

I think that Hurts is not trusting himself enough. The guy is not always going to be wide open, gotta throw it sooner and trust the separation. Waiting too long is costing him on the deep balls. I did notice that after Coach Saban exploded on him about OJ being wide open down the sideline he started to throw it deep and man he does have a gun.
I noticed after that he made 2 or 3 throws into pretty tight coverage - well after he hit a wide open Ridley on the next play. I just think it is going to take him a couple more games for it to slow down a bit for him and he will develop better vision of the whole field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Freshman QB or freshman running backs. Our O'line is good. We all want it to be better but they are not a weakness.
The example I think of is what if we had our top two backs from last year. Would that open things up more and help Jalen look better than he already does?

In hindsight I'm actually happy Blake chose to jump right now. It took Sims 5 years and some summer coaching to develop into what Jalen can do much sooner.

If the defense keeps getting NOT's I don't care if Scarbinsky thinks we'll lose every game in October. We'll be fine. Fluke plays will be the only thing that can hurt us.
Our young running backs especially Jacobs are doing great. Our quarterback isn't seeing the field yet but he is getting better every game. We are going to be fine.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
oooh whew! lot of good comments here in this thread. I can't reply to all of it, but I have few things to say:

1) TIDE-HSV is right, I noticed Bo is playing hurt and Everyone keep saying he's fine, but You can tell he's struggling somewhat. I have a feeling he'll explode sometime before the season is over. I'm not worried about Bo just yet.

2) Ridley and Hurts are roommates and they spend lot of time together, so that's why you see the chemistry there. If he can get Howard, Sims, Dieter and Foster involved little more then the game will be balanced. Stewart should be back against Arkansas and hopefully that opens up the game to a whole new level now that they're playing little better.

3) On calling the jet sweeps, screen plays early in the game, This has been explained several times, by several people including Coach Saban. The first 12 plays tend to be scripted to test left and side of the field. lI used to complain about that but I started to pay attention to the play calls throughout the game and I realized that lot of them are the same but in a different ways, so that makes it hard for Defense to figure out what we're doing. I have a feeling we'll see lot of running game against Razorbacks.

3) People have complained a lot about Hurts and his inability to throw deep ball and finding receivers... and it's valid, but I need to remind everyone that Coker and McCarron struggled early in the season. We have to be patient and understand Hurts is going to figure it out. Last year Coker finally figured it out against Arkansas... Hurts confidence went to a new place last weekend against Kentucky when he threw the deep ball. so I expect him to have a big game this weekend. I'm very pleased that he has only thrown 1 int this year so far.

4) Defense is real good, but I'm very concerned about our secondary especially with Tennessee and TAMU coming up.
I hope his accuracy and speed releasing both make big improvements before 10/22

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
It's just gonna take time for JH to trust himself more and it's only gonna come with PT. Right now he only takes a brief look downfield before tucking and running if what he's looking for isn't there. He has to realize that he has multiple options available than only 1 or 2. You can bet that the coaching staff is on top of it and are working on it.

I will say however that he's always looked to me to be more willing to accept the challenge than BB who just never did.

This team has amazing potential if they can just get out of their own way. I'm encouraged by the reduction in penalties against UK, especially in the red zone.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
I believe our coaches are taking a calculated risk by giving a true freshman the leadership of the offense. yes, he is talented, and will get better. we now reach the meat of our schedule, and the next 4 games will determine if we are a playoff team. my perspective so far is that our young qb, is playing half a field, with one receiver confidence. reminds exactly of blake sims depending on Amari cooper most of the season. Jalen is going to be more accurate, a fine leader with help. he needs to put a little more air under deep passes. ridley and stewart can run most any pass down. don't waste their skills. it scares me to see ridley taking so many hits, on the screens, 3and 4 yard pass plays.rbs, will get better. Jacobs hits the hole so much quicker than the others, and his moves are nice. when I saw his stats in Oklahoma, while playing qb, his rushing ability was great. just think what he could do on a fake with pass downfield. off line is still working on consistency. as stated too many silly mental errors. our receivers are not in the game yet. unfortunately, o.j. is the only tight end that blocks well. we have not done well with the two tight end sets. defense is playing its usual excellent game, but, I am concerned with a lack of focus with corners when the coverage is good, but, the play is missed. special teams exceptional, except for the usual missed 35 or 30 yard field goal. now is the time to correct mistakes and take it to arks, A&M, Tenn, LSU for 4 quarters.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.