Hurricane Matthew

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
spent a few years there as a kid myself and on Mobile bay and have a house on the gulf. I know the drill, but Bazz is facing 120 mph winds and an 8-9 foot storm surge, 2 blocks and some dunes will help with water but being up on the dune will hurt with wind. I'd board up and head inland myself, no shame in that
Yah, zero shame in evacuating. This one is big enough that I'd strongly consider it, depending largely on how well-built my house was.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Yah, zero shame in evacuating. This one is big enough that I'd strongly consider it, depending largely on how well-built my house was.
there is a great Reddit Thread with amateur storm chasers gathering data from everywhere in one place here, https://www.reddit.com/r/TropicalWeather/comments/54xpoo/matthew_northern_atlantic/

be warned however as reddit is non moderated so the language can violate tidefans policy

reading through it the pressures are dropping, the eye has reformed and is tightening and many believe that this could still strengthen to a Cat 5. I'd leave

Maudiemae

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2003
West Palm Beach, Florida
The Bahamas are getting absolutely battered right now, the storm has strengthened and now has sustained 140mph winds with gusts up to 165. This is a big, bad storm...
It certainly is! Bazza, I really hope you do evacuate. I'm in West Palm but we're in the western region and not near the beach. I know you won't have flood or surge problems since your house is situated in a high area but,the winds this thing is throwing are worse than anything we've seen before. Please be safe!

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
When events like this happen the local stores always run out of certain emergency supplies...like plywood, water, ice, and even generators.

I think it's really up to the individual to apply common sense way ahead of time to be prepared.

But human nature as it is...many wait until the last minute...or they never experienced a storm situation before (maybe new to FL for example).

I would really like to see local governments be more proactive in setting up a couple centralized locations to provide such emergency supplies AHEAD of the storm instead of waiting until afterwards.

I will forward this suggestion at some point after we get through Matthew....it would certainly mitigate some of the 'panic' that some people experience in the days preceding the event.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
When events like this happen the local stores always run out of certain emergency supplies...like plywood, water, ice, and even generators.

I think it's really up to the individual to apply common sense way ahead of time to be prepared.

But human nature as it is...many wait until the last minute...or they never experienced a storm situation before (maybe new to FL for example).

I would really like to see local governments be more proactive in setting up a couple centralized locations to provide such emergency supplies AHEAD of the storm instead of waiting until afterwards.

I will forward this suggestion at some point after we get through Matthew....it would certainly mitigate some of the 'panic' that some people experience in the days preceding the event.
But wouldn't local governments have to get them from the stores first, thereby reducing the amount available to the public? And wouldn't that create a bottleneck at those centers with some people getting a lot and others getting only a little, or none? And who is to pay for them in the first place? And local governments are supposed to stockpile them time and time again? Sorry, but this is a situation that just asks for both trouble and abuse.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I went through Hurricane Hugo in SC in September 1989. The preparation days ahead of it's landfall, the terrifying hours during, the immediate aftermath and the days and weeks following make it one experience I have no desire to relive.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
But wouldn't local governments have to get them from the stores first, thereby reducing the amount available to the public? And wouldn't that create a bottleneck at those centers with some people getting a lot and others getting only a little, or none? And who is to pay for them in the first place? And local governments are supposed to stockpile them time and time again? Sorry, but this is a situation that just asks for both trouble and abuse.

No, the government would get the supplies from the same supplier(s) the stores use.

And (in theory) they would order ahead of time.

This would require using common sense though - and that's where the plan might fail...lol....

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Well my folks are heading inland from coastal ga. I have a house that I rent about 100 yards from the beach on St. Simons Island, nothing else between house and beach. My parents live center Island. I have a bad feeling.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Buddy of mine yesterday said he has a generator...one that FEMA paid for.

Just filled out some paperwork for a refund after he purchased from local box store.

This was from the last hurricane we had here.

I've always paid for my own stuff and am self-reliant as a rule.

But there's a lot of stuff FEMA and others give away during disasters.

It's there. Just gotta get it distributed when it's needed....was my original point.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yah, I was always shocked at how unprepared so many people were. It doesn't happen often, but if you live in FL long, you will need to be prepared for a hurricane.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Off topic .....

A co-worker of mine used to work for FEMA. During a hurricane a few years ago the government contracted for the deliver of ice. So, you had trucks full of ice showing up at a check point. The drivers collected a receipt to be turned in for payment and proceeded to the disaster area. .......... Except they didn't. ..... After several hours one government receipt-giver-outer noticed that so many of the trucks and drivers looked familiar. Turns out these guys knew where to turn off the road and double back. They went through the check point time and time again, collecting receipts for the same ice a half-dozen times. And I would bet money they got paid on all the fraud.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.