Hurricane Matthew

MobileCrimson

1st Team
Feb 27, 2014
Off topic .....

A co-worker of mine used to work for FEMA. During a hurricane a few years ago the government contracted for the deliver of ice. So, you had trucks full of ice showing up at a check point. The drivers collected a receipt to be turned in for payment and proceeded to the disaster area. .......... Except they didn't. ..... After several hours one government receipt-giver-outer noticed that so many of the trucks and drivers looked familiar. Turns out these guys knew where to turn off the road and double back. They went through the check point time and time again, collecting receipts for the same ice a half-dozen times. And I would bet money they got paid on all the fraud.
That's about how government works.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
The government should stay out of it. People need to assume the responsibility themselves. Govt would just screw it up.
Back in the day, people would build their summer homes a good half to an acre off the beach, and today they put them 50 feet away. I agree that the government should stay out. If you want to place a house on the beach or some man made Island, get some flood insurance and take the risk.

This could be a very costly storm if it basically strikes 100 miles miles of coastline or more. I have never seen anything like it. A devil storm.

tidegrandpa

All-American
Back in the day, people would build their summer homes a good half to an acre off the beach, and today they put them 50 feet away. I agree that the government should stay out. If you want to place a house on the beach or some man made Island, get some flood insurance and take the risk.

This could be a very costly storm if it basically strikes 100 miles miles of coastline or more. I have never seen anything like it. A devil storm.
Getting rough surf in Cocoa now

http://www.surfguru.com/florida-surf-reports/cocoa-beach-pier

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I wonder what the SPHINCTER PUCKER FACTOR is for insurance companies right about now! :eek:

Of course, they always have the funds for disasters and they will replenish their reserves afterwards. They have a system that will always keep them in the black.

The policy owners pay for everything....and more.....

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Rain bands getting a bit wider and starting to move this way. I'm going to walk down to the beach sometime before dark. One of the greatest things about staying here is you can walk down to the beach and check out the storm action. :cool:

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Rain bands getting a big wider and starting to move this way. I'm going to walk down to the beach sometime before dark. One of the greatest things about staying here is you can walk down to the beach and check out the storm action. :cool:

for your sake, i hope there are a few cute weather channel weather girls wearing skirts.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Be safe, Bazza. I've lived thru a number of hurricanes in my lifetime, including Camille in 1969 as a kid. The storm surge surprises most folks with its power and ability to cause severe damage and loss of life. Praying you and yours will weather this one OK.

Bazza, I just looked up where New Smyrna Beach, FL is located. Holy cow....you guys are right in the projected path. Are you evacuating or riding it out?

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/212348.shtml?5-daynl#contents
From my stepson, who's riding it out, they've evacuated only beachside, low-lying areas and RV/Mobile parks...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yes, thanks....5500 watts!

Thanks, Brad. Good luck to your island friend,as well!

Thanks, 92! We'll be fine I'm sure. ;)
After our six day outage (tornadoes) back in 2011, I sold my 55KW, bought a 75KW and converted it to propane. I have one 100lb bottle and four 20s in reserve. I plan to buy another 100...

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
I got to Miami for work Sunday. Passed by New Smyrna Beach on the way down. Was supposed to head back this way Friday morning. Given the situation, we were told around noon yesterday that the rest of the week's work was postponed and to head back. Took Tamiami Trail west, hit 75 up to 10. Road didn't clear up until we got past Tallahassee last night.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
From my stepson, who's riding it out, they've evacuated only beachside, low-lying areas and RV/Mobile parks...
Looks like they're primarily concerned with surge. I think this is a mistake. Wind damage will be substantial as well. This looks to be a major Cat 3 hurricane as it rides along the beach all the way from Palm Beach to nearly Savannah. This is not a storm to ride out.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Looks like they're primarily concerned with surge. I think this is a mistake. Wind damage will be substantial as well. This looks to be a major Cat 3 hurricane as it rides along the beach all the way from Palm Beach to nearly Savannah. This is not a storm to ride out.
They seem determined. They're in an older house on the bayside. They're not in the mandatory evacuation areas...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Just saw a neat tip on Facebook. It might not apply here, considering the length of the anticipated outages. However, in case of shorter ones, take a cup of water, a cup which will stand freezing, like Pyrex. Freeze it full of water and put a quarter on top. If the coin is on top when you return, your food stayed frozen. If it's on the bottom (and the cup is refrozen), throw out the food. Partway down, judgement call...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Just saw a neat tip on Facebook. It might not apply here, considering the length of the anticipated outages. However, in case of shorter ones, take a cup of water, a cup which will stand freezing, like Pyrex. Freeze it full of water and put a quarter on top. If the coin is on top when you return, your food stayed frozen. If it's on the bottom (and the cup is refrozen), throw out the food. Partway down, judgement call...
I have a different strategy...I'm eating everything in my freezer before we lose power. Microwave TV dinners first of course because they are easier to cook...:cool:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have a different strategy...I'm eating everything in my freezer before we lose power. Microwave TV dinners first of course because they are easier to cook...:cool:
I have a young friend down in Coral Gables who went through Andrew. Her dad and I were friends for 50 years. She's eating her way through the freezer, starting with the TV dinners...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.