Hurricane Matthew

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
As normal, the models keep changing. Doesn't look good up the east cost as far as Cape Hatteras but north of there now looking a little better than earlier today. Va Beach and OC Md look a little better.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
As part of our continuing SEC stadium tour, my father and I have tickets to the UGA-USC game this weekend. As I grew up in Florida, I've dealt with my share of hurricanes, so I'm hoping this one bounces further east...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
As part of our continuing SEC stadium tour, my father and I have tickets to the UGA-USC game this weekend. As I grew up in Florida, I've dealt with my share of hurricanes, so I'm hoping this one bounces further east...
Nikki Haley apparently said she doesn't see how that game gets played in Columbia.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Nikki Haley apparently said she doesn't see how that game gets played in Columbia.
Yah, State of Emergency has been declared and they're reversing all the east bound interstates starting tomorrow.

I'm guessing it's moved to Athens. We'll likely know tomorrow (they announced the movement of last year's USC-LSU game on Wednesday).

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Be safe, Bazza. I've lived thru a number of hurricanes in my lifetime, including Camille in 1969 as a kid. The storm surge surprises most folks with its power and ability to cause severe damage and loss of life. Praying you and yours will weather this one OK.

Bazza, I just looked up where New Smyrna Beach, FL is located. Holy cow....you guys are right in the projected path. Are you evacuating or riding it out?

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/212348.shtml?5-daynl#contents

Last edited:

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
I'm in Columbia but I'll be heading home to Bama tomorrow night for the weekend. Haven't really heard anything yet about the game here Saturday, but I know they're planning on shutting down all the schools around here and the jobsite where I work....which is about 30 minutes north of Columbia.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Be safe, Bazza. I've lived thru a number of hurricanes in my lifetime, including Camille in 1969 as a kid. The storm surge surprises most folks with its power and ability to cause severe damage and loss of life. Praying you and yours will weather this one OK.

Bazza, I just looked up where New Smyrna Beach, FL is located. Holy cow....you guys are right in the projected path. Are you evacuating or riding it out?

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/212348.shtml?5-daynl#contents

Thank you, ccc....it's not my first rodeo either - but that only means we don't panic yet respect the potential for harm to property and lives.

The latest projection is we will be kissed by hurricane force winds here (74mph and up). I don't plan on evacuating because my home is built like a bunker. I stayed here during all the hurricanes of 2004 and didn't even board up and everything was fine except for the power outages and damage to the landscaping.

My house was built on top of a natural dune ridge too so I am way up above sea level, fortunately.

I truly hope everyone gets through this event OK.

The local Home Depot today was very busy with plywood sales and bottled water was flying off the shelves every store I visited. Gas stations were also keeping busy and I saw lots of gas cans being filled as well.

Tomorrow I will spend some time securing everything outside as best as possible. The hurricane is supposed to pass by Thursday afternoon through Friday morning - it's moving very slow right now.

But a lot can happen with strength and projected path so we'll see.

Best wishes to our armed forces at Gitmo!

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
If it does come ashore in New Smyrna it will be a first. That area has never taken a direct hit from a hurricane due to how Florida is shaped and how the gulf stream travels. It does catch the outer bands though. My parents live slightly North of there, Ponce Inlet ,and love it there

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I just came back from my folks house, coastal Ga, St. Simons Island. That curve in the coast has saved the Islands except Dora since the the 1890's, when 2 hit.

After studying the winds and the important bermuda high that aims hurricanes east, off coast. Here is the deal. The closer Mathew hugs south Florida, the more south it will strike up coast. That is why NC get so many, it sticks out. I have a bad feeling for the Golden Isles of Georgia the closer west this Hurricane hugs Florida. This couls be a disaster if it goes north 80 miles off coast for hundreds of miles. It will weaken it, but cause more damage over a larger area.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
On the report this morning they showed a high pressure system off to the east that is steering Matthew more westward but at the same time we have a front moving eastward across the states that might break up the high which would then (in theory) influence Matthew's path to go back to the east more.

Of course every little bit of deflection to the east will help lessen wind damage to the coastal zones.

Also if we are lucky it will speed up some and will go by a lot faster.

This is like deja vu from back in 2004.....

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Here is a picture of my hometown St. Simons Island after Dora sideswiped in 64. An average hurricane that hit an area that had not been hit in 80 years. It moved the beach line up 3 streets for close to a mile. Streets and houses are now part of the beach. Is why this angle is disturbing, better to have a direct hit than a swipe because it effects a much larger area that have beaches at rest for a century or more. Even as a Cat 2, if it goes up the coast 50 miles offshore, you could have large scale erosion. I hope it aims east.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.