Question: Anybody think Fournette may "shut it down" the rest of the season?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Last edited:

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Let's say theoretically he had.

What would folks on here think of that?

I'm conflicted. We all just went nuts about the timing of Barnett leaving in the middle of the season and "Quitting" on his teammates and his team. The situation is a little different for Fournette. Coach gets canned mid-season, he's already put 2 productive years in, and he wouldn't be "quitting" to go play for another college football team but to take care of himself and his family for life. Are the ethics comparable?

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

I'm conflicted. We all just went nuts about the timing of Barnett leaving in the middle of the season and "Quitting" on his teammates and his team. The situation is a little different for Fournette. Coach gets canned mid-season, he's already put 2 productive years in, and he wouldn't be "quitting" to go play for another college football team but to take care of himself and his family for life. Are the ethics comparable?
Yes?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Family first. I wouldn't blame him one bit. Not saying I'd do the same thing but I definitely wouldn't look down on him if he did.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Would it actually be more of a disservice to family members like his daughter who depend on him for their welfare for him to continue risking bodily harm? I'm genuinely asking simply to churn the pot. He's already been injured once this season. Perhaps he goes Jadaveon Clowney on the team. I personally think he should give it 100% for the rest of the season but I also haven't walked in his shoes and grown up in his lifestyle and now have a kid to care for with the promise if millions of dollars surely awaiting me just around the corner. Now, even coming off any injury he'd still command a sizable paycheck, but not 1st round money, perhaps.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Here is an excerpt from an article on Heavy.com about Fournette and his family:

"[FONT=&quot]Having a child humbled me a lot. It made me realize it’s not about me anymore. Every decision that I make can affect her future, too. So, I try my best to be the best man for her; best father."
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fournette has said that having a daughter has completely changed the way he approaches the game of football. He isn’t just playing for himself or the team or the stats anymore. He’s playing for her and every rushing yard he picks up is a way to provide for her future.[/FONT]
Hard to put myself in his shoes.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
The LSU athletic department wrote this season off when they fired Miles midseason. They shouldn't be upset at him if he also writes this season off to keep himself healthy.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

No, they are not.

dvil doc

1st Team
Dec 3, 2014
Northern Virginia
I've been locked up with teenagers all day and can't remember who they were playing, but told my son that number 7 was playing to not get hurt. Now he has been scratched from the lineup. No surprise. His season is over and future mucho dollars is the reason.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
They have also been pretty hush hush about the extent of the injury. It may be that he is not able to go yet, without regard to what he wants to do.

I do think there is some risk in him just saying "I'm not playing in any more games because of my injury". That is going to get him a hard look in Combine trials (which he'd almost have to do) as well as in physicals.

I won't respect him less either way. If this team was contending for conference and national honors, I might have a different opinion. But firing Les and naming an interim coach was a clear signal that the administration is looking towards next year.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

I'll offer a thought. A difference is that fournette would be quitting not because he lost the job but because he no longer benefits from the job. If you think both quit (assuming fournette does) for self-interest or "business" you'll likely see both decisions as equally good or bad ethically. If someone thinks what Barnett did is worse than what fournette might do, it may have something to do with being a "poor sport" about not starting rather than specifically about quitting on your team.

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
Sorry, but IMHO the Who threw LF to the lions for a season plus 3 games. He became a bowling pin with legs that was set up to get knocked down. No blocking, poor scheme and called on time and again to run into the teeth of SEC defenses that knew he was coming. You can ride a good horse to death, ride him hard and put him up wet and sooner or later he'll go lame and quit on you. The horse is not at fault here.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Bo Jackson and Hershel Walker did not " shut it down" with the knowledge that both were hot commodities going into the league after their college days were over. furthermore, Bo played all 4 years unlike LF who is gone after 3. lastly, LF is nowhere near as good as those 2 backs!

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
i dont think he will shut it down. HOWEVER, he shouldnt play until he's fully healed from that injury. He was moving badly. I think when he is healed he's going to be running as hard as he would when healthy.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Bo Jackson and Hershel Walker did not " shut it down" with the knowledge that both were hot commodities going into the league after their college days were over. furthermore, Bo played all 4 years unlike LF who is gone after 3. lastly, LF is nowhere near as good as those 2 backs!
It was a different Era for them. They were actually rewarded in the draft for their ability to carry the load because running the ball in the NFL was a bigger priority back then.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.