Question: Hurricane Matthew's impact on college football? (LSU-UF and UGA-USC postponed)

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Re: What will be hurricane Matthew's impact on college football this weekend?

In that case the SEC should pay LSU's buyout fee to USA and compensate them for the loss of the home game revenue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I heard correctly on "Round Table" the SEC is responsible for financial compensation for a home loss in this scenario.

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States

Apparently a few LSU fans were calling into Sirius XM complaining that Saban engineered all this to give us an advantage over LSU in the standings. I knew he was powerful, but...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Apparently a few LSU fans were calling into Sirius XM complaining that Saban engineered all this to give us an advantage over LSU in the standings. I knew he was powerful, but...
It was the REC AND St. Nick putting their powers together and orchestrating it.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

May he ever live in their worst, most delusional nightmares.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Clay Travis suggested yesterday that Saban will win all but the LSU game - and will lose it on purpose to ensure Orgeron becomes the LSU coach so he can beat his brains out the next four years. He even said it would be the most Nick Saban move possible.

We've really gotten into everyone's heads....

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I totally disagree with them forcing the Gators to give this up as a home game. Home conference games matter. To me the conference should force LSU to take the 11/19 option in Gainesville, but that is just MHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So they should force LSU to buy out a OOC game and leave South Alabama in the lurch?

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa

It was the REC AND St. Nick putting their powers together and orchestrating it.
I did hear that one of the satellite photos showed that the hurricane had two eyes....

Of course Florida is trying to take the week off. It's an extra off week, helps their qb get healthy, gives them a more reasonable path to the SEC Championship (though I think that is less likely than many, apparently), avoids a game with a west opponent....

But the SEC has to step in. This is not an insoluble problem and it's unfair to let the game go unplayed, including to all of LSU's and Florida's opponents. Just a matter of spreading a little money around -- heaven knows the SEC has plenty.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
So they should force LSU to buy out a OOC game and leave South Alabama in the lurch?

The problem is too many folks are taking sides here.

LSU's whine about not wanting three road SEC games in a row is no more defensible than Florida's. As an Alabama fan who vividly recalls 2010, I honestly don't care about this. Let those little puke balls play six games out of seven against rested opponents for all I care.

The SEC can buy out the non-conference games, play it November 19 and let Presby and S Alabama play each other in Mobile.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015

Clay Travis suggested yesterday that Saban will win all but the LSU game - and will lose it on purpose to ensure Orgeron becomes the LSU coach so he can beat his brains out the next four years. He even said it would be the most Nick Saban move possible.

We've really gotten into everyone's heads....
We should rent space in Clay Travis's head; there is plenty of unoccupied room there

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO

I did hear that one of the satellite photos showed that the hurricane had two eyes....

Of course Florida is trying to take the week off. It's an extra off week, helps their qb get healthy, gives them a more reasonable path to the SEC Championship (though I think that is less likely than many, apparently), avoids a game with a west opponent....

But the SEC has to step in. This is not an insoluble problem and it's unfair to let the game go unplayed, including to all of LSU's and Florida's opponents. Just a matter of spreading a little money around -- heaven knows the SEC has plenty.
I know that LSU would have a much bigger grievance against Florida if this were the case, but I think that any cancelled conference games should count as a loss when determining conference rankings. Florida could be 6-1 at the end of the season, but would be counted as 6-2, so UT would have a tie breaker if they lose twice.

That would also probably give UF more motivation to reschedule the game.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The problem is too many folks are taking sides here.

LSU's whine about not wanting three road SEC games in a row is no more defensible than Florida's. As an Alabama fan who vividly recalls 2010, I honestly don't care about this. Let those little puke balls play six games out of seven against rested opponents for all I care.

The SEC can buy out the non-conference games, play it November 19 and let Presby and S Alabama play each other in Mobile.
I'm not really taking a side because frankly something that is bad for LSU is possibly good for us pragmatically speaking. Florida using a loophole to possibly edge out Tennessee despite a h2h loss is possibly better for us than the probable rematch game in the SECCG if we make it there. I just think Florida's AD intentionally slow-played this decision making process with the SEC and the SEC front office did not step in and tell everybody involved what's what. It is early in the Sankey era but he's not looking like the quietly strong commish that kept the schools under tow like Slive. This game could've been played in a safe environment with enough lead time to assure Florida could safely make the travel but Sankey didn't use his authority to get it done. It says a lot that traveling to LSU to avoid hurricane postponement is okay for South Carolina to Sankey but not for Florida.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
They should play the game. If it must be cancelled, then you go by percentage to determine the standings. Baseball has to deal with this every year.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
They should play the game. If it must be cancelled, then you go by percentage to determine the standings. Baseball has to deal with this every year.
Because yeah, nobody in baseball EVER played a doubleheader while football does all the time.

DollarTaker

Suspended
Jul 17, 2015
Destin, FL
Why in the world would any person with authority at Florida want to give up a home game? That is their job, to look after what is best for UF. TN is the luckiest team around and should lose the next 2 games. LSU is playing off emotion and will lose half the rest of the conference games they have. FL will now get the starting qb back and should win out in conference play, thus put them in the as East champs.

This game will not be made up if all goes according to this plan. No person at FL cares what anyone else thinks at this point, and I would expect the powers that be at Bama do the same thing if this ever happened to us. Its nothing personal, just good business and football is a business. And by the way, Force Majeure is in every contract and this is what the game is not being played.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm not really taking a side because frankly something that is bad for LSU is possibly good for us pragmatically speaking. Florida using a loophole to possibly edge out Tennessee despite a h2h loss is possibly better for us than the probable rematch game in the SECCG if we make it there. I just think Florida's AD intentionally slow-played this decision making process with the SEC and the SEC front office did not step in and tell everybody involved what's what. It is early in the Sankey era but he's not looking like the quietly strong commish that kept the schools under tow like Slive.
Those are fair points. I don't know what exactly is involved or who did what. But this whole 'they're scared' argument doesn't really make much sense to me.

This game could've been played in a safe environment with enough lead time to assure Florida could safely make the travel but Sankey didn't use his authority to get it done. It says a lot that traveling to LSU to avoid hurricane postponement is okay for South Carolina to Sankey but not for Florida.
Well, for starters the situations were different. Hurricane Joaquin was never a threat to make landfall in the Carolinas - they're suggesting this one might turn back and hit Florida again. It was rain, but everyone knew where everyone was. In this situation, you have people hiding out. I also wonder what role the unfortunate circumstance of having the FSU-Miami game the same weekend...and moved to Tampa...played in all this. Presumably, they could have played in Tampa if not for that I'm guessing.

Of course, why not play it at Bryant-Denny Stadium? It's six hours from Baton Rouge, eight from Gainesville.

Or the Georgia Dome? Ga State is playing Texas St but the Falcons are in Denver so.....Sunday in Atlanta?

Alabama is gone from BDS for two weeks. I'm just saying.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Why in the world would any person with authority at Florida want to give up a home game?
South Carolina did just one year ago - almost to the very day.

That is their job, to look after what is best for UF.
This is complicated by the fact that the also have to consider what is best for the CONFERENCE. They don't work in isolation here.

TN is the luckiest team around and should lose the next 2 games.
They didn't need much luck to kill Florida.

LSU is playing off emotion and will lose half the rest of the conference games they have.
You mean like Auburn did in 2013?

FL will now get the starting qb back and should win out in conference play, thus put them in the as East champs.
If that's what this is about then don't be too surprised if they're in line for the Final Four and the committee justifies excluding them on that very basis.

This game will not be made up if all goes according to this plan. No person at FL cares what anyone else thinks at this point,
I wouldn't go that far with it. They're trying to win a PR battle here so they must care somewhat.

and I would expect the powers that be at Bama do the same thing if this ever happened to us.
You mean like the time we played ATM at the end of the season on short rest?

Or the time we went ahead and played Michigan in Dallas with Hurricane Isaac bearing down on the Gulf Coast?

Its nothing personal, just good business and football is a business. And by the way, Force Majeure is in every contract and this is what the game is not being played.
Then it's fair to question why Miami and FSU were able to play as well as UGA and S Carolina....but not Florida......how can these unforseen circumstances not cause two games to be cancelled but this one absolutely must be?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Why in the world would any person with authority at Florida want to give up a home game? That is their job, to look after what is best for UF. TN is the luckiest team around and should lose the next 2 games. LSU is playing off emotion and will lose half the rest of the conference games they have. FL will now get the starting qb back and should win out in conference play, thus put them in the as East champs.

This game will not be made up if all goes according to this plan. No person at FL cares what anyone else thinks at this point, and I would expect the powers that be at Bama do the same thing if this ever happened to us. Its nothing personal, just good business and football is a business. And by the way, Force Majeure is in every contract and this is what the game is not being played.
You do realize that LSU has been on both sides of this kinda situation as well. They gave up a home game during Katrina to travel to asu in 2005 and provided aid and all the allotted home team finances and then some to South Carolina last year. I don't blame Florida on a competitive advantage of not playing at tiger stadium but a financial deal like the one LSU gave usce last year is actually more profitable to Florida than it being in gainsville. If they didn't want to play at tiger then it should have been played at Ladd, JHS, BDS, Ga dome, or even Hoover but the fact of the matter is that Florida is looking very stupid and cowardly for waiting til Thursday to make a decision, and the decision being no immediate plans of rescheduling while USCe-UGA and Miami- FSU games are still on. I'm not calling them cowardly, I'm more stating how things are going to be played and Louisana reporters should go after them for not making a decision by Wednesday until a mutual compromise is made.

Remember asu and LSU gave the home team money back to the original home team, and if USA has to be dropped LSU gets $0 for their agreed home benefits whereas Florida gets $50 of their home benefits for the make up on the 15th. Point is this royally screws LSU financially and possibly competitively.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.