Rather unheralded, but really good, former Bama players

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
If you really want to go way back to the somebody-who-might-have-been, Keith McCord. Even managed to score a few NBA points after he found his way to UAB from the Throckmorton, er, C.M. Newton doghouse.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Coner was the guy on that team who was unheralded. Farmer got tons of glory. Gottfried would have had more had there been a 3 pt line for his whole career
I guess I was thinking of really good players who are unheralded today. Mike Nordholz was his team's star and holds the single game scoring record, but is rarely mentioned today. Uncanny ability for a guard to score from under the basket. I know, different era. Aside: I always think of Pete and Johnny Neumann when "before the 3 PT line" is mentioned.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
And there was Ken Johnson in the late '70s. Started every game for four years and averaged double figures every year. He owned the corner shot. Bad idea to collapse on Reggie King then.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Jim Farmer was second or third fiddle to Derrick McKey and maybe Mark Gottfried, but played several years in the NBA. As a first round draft choice, though, he might not be considered unheralded.
I loved Connor at point on that team and watching Ansley clean the boards.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.