Rather unheralded, but really good, former Bama players

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
One guy always think of is Keith Askins, not really highly recruited played as a freshman and went on to a solid, lengthy NBA career

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
On a related note, did 'Bama put any players in the NBA in the 50s, 60s or until Leon Douglas, the 70s? Was Leon the first to stick in the NBA?

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
On a related note, did 'Bama put any players in the NBA in the 50s, 60s or until Leon Douglas, the 70s? Was Leon the first to stick in the NBA?
The only one I know of was Carl Shaeffer in the 40s

Charles Cleveland was with the Sixers before Leon was drafted

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
The only one I know of was Carl Shaeffer in the 40s

Charles Cleveland was with the Sixers before Leon was drafted
Thanks, wasn't aware of Mr. Shaeffer.

Cleveland was probably my favorite 'Bama hoops player of all time. Don't recall him sticking with the Sixers (my favored NBA team until the early 70s), but do recall either that year or the next his trying out for the NY Jets as a tight end. Remember also wondering why Joe Willie couldn't get him a 'Bama glad hand onto the roster or at least a spot on the "taxi squad" as it was known back then 'til he (Cleveland) tuned up his pass catching skills - anybody else have any recollections on that?

Back on topic, I never would've made him a No. 1 pick as the Bulls did, but Jason Caffey had a decent 8th-9th man career in the NBA.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Alonzo Gee, Eric Washington, Roy Rogers.

Gee was a grinder and hard worker, but had to work his butt off to get to the league.
Eric Washington played a few years in the NBA, but was a solid contributor while he was at Bama.
Roy Rogers made the most of his talent and improved every year at Bama. He was drafted by Houston, but was hurt by the NBA strike that year. I think he played a few years.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Jim Farmer was second or third fiddle to Derrick McKey and maybe Mark Gottfried, but played several years in the NBA. As a first round draft choice, though, he might not be considered unheralded.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Jim Farmer was second or third fiddle to Derrick McKey and maybe Mark Gottfried, but played several years in the NBA. As a first round draft choice, though, he might not be considered unheralded.
Coner was the guy on that team who was unheralded. Farmer got tons of glory. Gottfried would have had more had there been a 3 pt line for his whole career

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Yeah, I think he was the leading scorer on a team that had better NBA talent. He was a very good college player that didn't quite have the physical tools for his position in the NBA.
He was signed to rebound, much like Jason Caffey with Michael Jordan's Bull's. Caffey was another forgotten player.

Here is another few players to add to the list: Michael Ansley, Melvin Cheatum, and Jamario Davidson. And who can forget Erwin Dudley who I think would have played in the NBA for many years if he hadn't blown his knee out right before the draft.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.