Game Thread: Official PostGame Thread Bama vs. Hogs...

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I think the moderate response would say: Quality win over a team that used to be a doormat but are now gamers. D-line and LBs looked sharp for the most part. Secondary gave me flashes of 2014 AND 2015 which was like whiplash but correctable (the talent is here in a way that it wasn't in 2014, so the ceiling is higher) offense is starting to get it. We've known for a while that the Aggies and Vols would prove problematic. The secondary will need to improve and play with more fire but the sky is not falling. We managed to win and SEC championship with a worse defense and were one better coached half of football away from playing for another NC with that same defense. This defense is talented enough to compete for a NC. But mentally will they double down? Still good to root for Bama. Roll Tide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
I hold my breath when a long bomb is thrown at us....I just know a flag is coming out at the end, and there were bad flags thrown tonight

For a few years now, all the Bama fans around me watching the games have all said teams should just throw it long against our corners every single play. I think Ole Miss figured this out too a few years ago. That's pretty much all they do against us and why they score 40+. You're almost guaranteed a long completion for big yards or pass interference flag.

It's kinda bizarre at this point. Our DB's are usually in position to make a play, they just don't. Cyrus Jones was probably the most consistent corner we've had recently in terms of making a play on the ball in man coverage. I was actually shocked on Fitzpatrick's int tonight.

Last edited:

MobileCrimson

1st Team
Feb 27, 2014
For a few years now, all the Bama fans around me watching the games have all said teams should just throw it long against our corners every single play. I think Ole Miss figured this out too a few years ago. That's pretty much all they do against us and why they score 40+. You're almost guaranteed a long completion for big yards or pass interference flag.

It's kinda bizarre at this point. Our DB's are usually in position to make a play, they just don't. Cyrus Jones was probably the most consistent corner we've had recently in terms of making a play on the ball in man coverage. I was actually shocked on Fitzpatrick's int tonight.
Which one? He had 3.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Our secondary had a few mental lapses this game & while that usually worries me, it can be a good thang, it gives Coach Saban some teachable moments for our D as we prepare to steamroll The Viles this coming week & The Aggies in two weeks..As good of a team we are this year, we have some weaknesses, having those weaknesses exposed can & will be corrected by our coaching staff..I have no doubts about that at all & that's not good for the rest of college football suffering through "Bama Fatigue".."The Process" continues

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I was very pleased with the win. Did we give up too many big pass plays? Absolutely, but we dominated the game.

For several years other top defenses began to focus on negative plays, turnovers, and third down/goal line efficiency. They weren't totally shutting teams down like we used to but they made impactful plays. To me, our defense has become like this. People are overlooking it but our defense scored 14 and set up another seven on a nice pick. It's getting harder and harder to outright stop people, you have to limit to field goals and make big plays on defense. Our defense has done both of those incredibly well.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I'll tell you, that's about the worst I've seen our secondary play in a long time and we still thumped these guys, and that despite 3 TOs to boot. Defense just seemed to be boom or bust with no in between.

Cut out the fumbles and clean up the secondary play and we'll be OK for UT and A&M hopefully. A little worried about Hump though - he seems to be having a bit of a sophomore slump for whatever reason. Hope he snaps out of it starting this week!

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Which one? He had 3.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

The one he returned for the TD. That was a throw Allen shouldn't have made anyway because Fitzpatrick was in perfect position. The other two were a little bit of a combination of a bad throw off target and just being in the right place at the right time. In fact I think one Allen may have actually been trying to throw the ball away.

Our DB's can sometimes make plays on the ball when the play happens in front of them. However, it's completely different when they're running with their back to the QB, even when they're in position to make a play. I think it may be because Saban doesn't teach his corners to backpedal is why they tend to struggle with receivers getting behind them in a trail technique. It something our DB's struggle with in the NFL since they've never done it.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
We have 3 or 4 NFL receivers on the team. If we are not able to get the ball to them, we drop one imo. We have the best Oline and Defense and running game I can remember. We just lack the ability to hit a receiver in stride on a long pass. We have a TF quarterback that will grow. The overall team is one of the best, just young.
hmmmm .... WADR, you countinue to find fault with Hurts when expert eyes such as Todd Blackledge's and dozens more like Jess N's continue to rave about what the rest of us already can see: Jalen Hurts is not a game manager or a project or a future leader.

At this very moment ... he is a star.

Last edited:

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
hmmmm .... WADR, you countinue to find fault with Hurts when expert eyes such as Todd Blackledge's and dozens more like Jess N's continue to rave about what the rest of us already can see: Jalen Hurts is not a game manager or a project or a future leader.

At this very moment ... he is a star.
Doesn't change the fact that Hurts isn't leading receivers or hitting them in stride consistently. Ridley's 2nd half TD was behind him. I like Hurts, and believe he will get better as the season progresses, but he is not the polished passer that we'll need, though he is on his way. Yet.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I was very pleased with the win. Did we give up too many big pass plays? Absolutely, but we dominated the game.

For several years other top defenses began to focus on negative plays, turnovers, and third down/goal line efficiency. They weren't totally shutting teams down like we used to but they made impactful plays. To me, our defense has become like this. People are overlooking it but our defense scored 14 and set up another seven on a nice pick. It's getting harder and harder to outright stop people, you have to limit to field goals and make big plays on defense. Our defense has done both of those incredibly well.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
I agree, and my only source of lamentation is that this game was a microcosm of what football has become. They've changed the game and how it's played, and I don't like it as much because I'm getting old, I suppose. Now, get out of my yard you annoying kids! Roll Tide!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Doesn't change the fact that Hurts isn't leading receivers or hitting them in stride consistently. Ridley's 2nd half TD was behind him. I like Hurts, and believe he will get better as the season progresses, but he is not the polished passer that he could be. Yet.
And at this stage of his career he's not expected to be a polished passer who perfectly leads receivers open without breaking stride. My guess is we'll start to see improvement in that area in the latter part of the season and/or next season. He also holds the ball too long on deeper passing routes. But again, he's an 18 year old true freshman QB starting in the toughest conference in college football. His saving grace is the ability to scramble and run the ball. At worst he can tuck the ball and get you three or four years and allow the offense to reset and live another down. But make no mistake about it. Taking into account that he's a true freshman starter in the SEC. His performance to this point has been outstanding and borderline unbelievable.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Doesn't change the fact that Hurts isn't leading receivers or hitting them in stride consistently. Ridley's 2nd half TD was behind him. I like Hurts, and believe he will get better as the season progresses, but he is not the polished passer that we'll need, though he is on his way. Yet.
Improvement comes with every play. As much as I like Jake and Blake, he already makes better consistent decisions than either of them, and has far better control in the pocket and command of the team. Everybody likes to point out the passes that aren't on the money when he throws just as many that are dead on.

We will beat the socks off both Tennessee and A&M.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Can someone explain the roughing the passer call for Bama "tackling the QB low"? Was it because the tackler hit the QB low from the front vs low from behind? (And why is it called roughing the passer when the QB still had the ball?)
I think that was an off season rule change we discussed here. Tackling the passer at or below the knees is now a penalty

sent from my pyromaniac note 7

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
crazy rule
I remember specifically asking how this rule wouldn't screw us. The consensus was that we seldom tackle below the knees, and the moment the passer starts running, he loses the protection of that rule.

I've seen numerous off balance below the knee tackles this season (specifically against Dobbs) where the defender was falling down towards the qb but got him. I'd yet to see the call, so I figured the refs were just like "screw it."

Good to know they remembered it when we played.

sent from my pyromaniac note 7

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
All I'm going to say is I bet Mr. Allen is feeling a little rough today. Man, did he get popped a lot. It was a thing of beauty from our defense watching them get to the QB what seemed at will.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This is a post from a Hog board. I thought it pretty accurate...

I don't think this is one of Alabama's better defenses, at all. They really struggled in pass defense-- they were #98 in pass D after the OM game for a reason-- and feasted on two weak opponents to bolster their defensive numbers.

The difference is, this is the most dynamic offense that Saban has had at Alabama. They're not going to consistently grind people into a fine dust, like his *best* offenses will, but they are far more likely to pull unlikely plays out, and be able to play Hero-Ball with a Clemson or an Ole Miss than his former championship teams.

They're flawed, but they're also extremely good-- and they will likely get better. I think they can win a title, but I think they need to be better running the football, and getting off the field on 3rd downs to win it.
I liked his "flawed" characteristic...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This is a post from a Hog board. I thought it pretty accurate...

I liked his "flawed" characteristic...
That's sorta how I feel. Maybe I'm one the biggest fans of kiffin's offense, and that's why many disagree with certain positive things I post here and say in my viewing party that are positive in some of the things that seem odd that he does. But I think our biggest advantage we have over teams is that we have an early 2000's style USC offense with a better than average defense. Don't get me wrong, we have highly talented defensive players that will be 1st or 2nd round picks, but the defense as a whole is more of a bend but don't break defense rather than a 2011 dominating defense. Having Kiffin's style of offense with the amount of talent there as well makes it where we are never truly out of the game despite trailing. If we win the next 3 games then we are in extremely good shape.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
Bert needs to learn to push away from the table. I watched he post game presser and it looks like he's literally put on 50 lbs since he's been at Arky.
You are too kind. He's put on a lot more than that. He's become The Fat-Man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.