Rating Jalen Hurts Half Way Thru the Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I remember Jamelle Holieway well and saw him play in person. He took over at OU IN THE MIDDLE OF the season when Aikman broke his leg against the Miami Hurricanes in the Sooners only loss that season. Holieway then proceeded to become the first true freshman to lead a team to a NC against Penn State in the orange bowl thanks to a Tennessee victory over the 'canes in the sugar bowl. However, Holieway was never a real passing threat---he was a one dimensional QB in a true wishbone O( Jim Donnan was the Oklahoma OC at the time) that basically did all their passing in the pregame warmups. Hurts has already thrown the ball more this season than Jamelle did in all of 1985 and has the potential to have a much more successful college career than JH ever did.
It would be an odd coincidence if Jalen Hurts becomes the second true freshman to win the NC because then the only two QB's to do it would both have the same initials (JH). Maybe that's a good omen for us.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
For which will make the grading of a B and an A in the future all the more honest. I sincerely hope that you read my full post that this grade had no reflection on his age or year. I try to be thorough in my response, which gives liberty to more easily criticize my opinion, over many other shorter, quip ridden posts that say nothing obviously good or bad.
I did read your entire post. I also think you're are a thoughtful poster. I too was viewing him as a QB, not a Fr QB. I just think a C is very low. Most would agree that his worst attribute thus far has been his passing - his QBR is 4th in the SEC. That does not account for his running and it's threat which has significant effect, as well as his pocket elusiveness. But most of all it does not account for the intangibles (poise, courage, toughness, competitiveness, preparation, leadership, unselfishness, will, etc) which are off the charts. IMO, he is at least a B - at least, probably a B+ - today. The only other QBs that approach Jalen in the intangibles are Dobbs and maybe Allen.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Kelly, Allen, and Dobbs are the three best QBs in the conference in my opinion. After that, if you said Jalen Hurts then I wouldn't even bat an eye. Hurts is closer to Dobbs than many realize in terms of production. Hurts is actually better than Dobbs in terms of QBR.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
"Agenda" that burns my crawl if you look at posts.
Well, then are we to attribute your ignoring of the facts to simple ignorance? The QBR exists for a reason - it's a detailed measure of the effectiveness of the QB as a passer, and Hurts is ranked in the top 1/4 of the SEC. Heck, with one good game he could be second in the SEC in QBR.

So I don't know what else to think, unless you simply don't watch other teams play much or you're ignoring the stats. It's not personal from my perspective, it's just numbers and production, and Hurts has been borderline spectacular, without even considering he's a frosh.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
After the three I mentioned, we're talking about whether you think Drew Lock, Sean White, or Luke Del Rio is better than Hurts. White has had a deceptively effective season but he's but up some numbers against bad defenses...all three of the quality defenses he faced held him in check or produced an out-right bad game. Luke Del Rio has played two OOC creampuffs and Kentucky before going down to an injury. I think he's good but Hurts has produced more meaningful results and played in more games. Drew Lock looks like a guy who will be very good for Mizzou but I think Hurts has an overall bigger impact on the offense.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
After the three I mentioned, we're talking about whether you think Drew Lock, Sean White, or Luke Del Rio is better than Hurts. White has had a deceptively effective season but he's but up some numbers against bad defenses...all three of the quality defenses he faced held him in check or produced an out-right bad game. Luke Del Rio has played two OOC creampuffs and Kentucky before going down to an injury. I think he's good but Hurts has produced more meaningful results and played in more games. Drew Lock looks like a guy who will be very good for Mizzou but I think Hurts has an overall bigger impact on the offense.
I am not so sure I wouldn't call it a draw between Dobbs & Jalen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I think I was pretty fair in my assessment.
I gave him 29/30 in the areas that can't be taught or learned and stressed he's close to 30/30.

I gave him 13/20 in his actual application of his skill sets in game situations. You have to admit his passing needs work and his running could be more dynamic and aggressive.

So in total I rated him 42/50.....That's 84% or a B to B-......That's pretty phenomenal especially as a TF!! I love the kid. He just needs to be a more polished accurate passer and a more dynamic dangerous runner to get into the A- range.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Well, then are we to attribute your ignoring of the facts to simple ignorance? The QBR exists for a reason - it's a detailed measure of the effectiveness of the QB as a passer, and Hurts is ranked in the top 1/4 of the SEC. Heck, with one good game he could be second in the SEC in QBR.

So I don't know what else to think, unless you simply don't watch other teams play much or you're ignoring the stats. It's not personal from my perspective, it's just numbers and production, and Hurts has been borderline spectacular, without even considering he's a frosh.
You remind me of the scouts at the Jacksonville Jaguars the past 10 years. Very easy job, just look at the QBR and YPC for backs, and study a small pool of teams, the result is a disaster. But I will not call you any unflattering adjectives.

If it is eyeball test too, remember I gave a C and your mod gave a B-.

I will grade Jalen as a TF, he gets an A+.

We have a lot of games left, the stretch. Then we have a real discussion. Look at the good and the bad when someone critique's a player. Not just some point of argument when the bigger picture is actually closer. You could easily find more good imo posts on this thread than bad, or anything with an agenda. Nowhere near.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
You remind me of the scouts at the Jacksonville Jaguars the past 10 years. Very easy job, just look at the QBR and YPC for backs, and study a small pool of teams, the result is a disaster. But I will not call you any unflattering adjectives.

If it is eyeball test too, remember I gave a C and your mod gave a B-, then you will have an easier time understanding that NFL drafts of the quarterbacks do not match QBR rankings.

I will grade Jalen as a TF, he gets an A+. But ranking him around 7th instead of 4th, before the hell stretch, and be called ignorant, redneck or both?
Yah, you're right, I've not watched any of the games, I'm just looking at numbers. Silly me. And I'm just a fan, I don't actually know anything about the sport, I just think all the Bama players are the best.

:rolleyes:

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Yah, you're right, I've not watched any of the games, I'm just looking at numbers. Silly me. And I'm just a fan, I don't actually know anything about the sport, I just think all the Bama players are the best.

:rolleyes:
Neither one of us is ignorant, I am not. As a matter of fact I am usually pretty accurate, especially during the draft and with HS recruits. I do not believe you can judge a QB any better than me same as you feel. I will not relent on that.

My praise of Jalen, his improvements, where I consider his abilities vs our other CNS starters is noted many times.

What you are doing is holding the preseason QB thread against me, when you had information that I didn't, for which I found out 2 weeks ago that changed my entire opinion.

Go back through my posts since game two, and find any sort of agenda. You won't.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
On the early season QB thread, many of us just flat out were more familiar with one than the other, with seeing neither. Similar to say a Bo (few carries) vs Jacobs thread that went into game 2. Who is Jacobs? We have been talking about Bo for a year. It takes longer to absorb and see the new guy. It is not biased. And none of the other stuff was know to us, only a QB battle. And I remember the day when I decided Jalen was better, I will find it if you want. But there is no agenda grading a TF 6th or 7th out of 14 teams 6 games into his career.

Edit: because I am good at it! lol
I think both Jalen and Dobbs are both rising stars in the league and this will be a very entertaining game. I watched Dobbs in HS because the proximity, he is from a very prominent family, and like Jalen, we will get to see them for several years to come. Should be fun. You want to talk about stupidity, Dobbs was passed over for Georgia's now 3rd string QB, who will probably always ride the bench. I knew who was better of those two.

Respond after the next game, sure I will bump Jalen up a few notches. Kelly, Allen, Hurts, Dobbs, Del Rio (healthy), Woodson, even White, are all good quarterbacks.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
What you are doing is holding the preseason QB thread against me, when you had information that I didn't, for which I found out 2 weeks ago that changed my entire opinion.
I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't recall anything specific from that pre-season thread (couldn't tell you if you even participated without going back to look), so take it down a notch with your assumptions.

Good grief.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Since I started posting in this thread yesterday, you're the only person I've seen bring up your posts from the massive QB thread. You've been defensive about your posts there and the ones in this thread without anyone mentioning them.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Neither one of us is ignorant, I am not. As a matter of fact I am usually pretty accurate, especially during the draft and with HS recruits. I do not believe you can judge a QB any better than me same as you feel. I will not relent on that.

My praise of Jalen, his improvements, where I consider his abilities vs our other CNS starters is noted many times.

Go back through my posts since game two, and find any sort of agenda. You won't.
I found it interesting that you found out two weeks ago. The fact you said you can judge better than crimsonaudio bothers me a lot because if I remember correctly, there has been time where you were wrong on couple of things. You have the right to voice your opinion on what goes on with QB competition, but you need to respect other people's opinions instead of trying to make them feel small.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
Well to try to get this thread back on track, JH has been a solid B in my opinion. Timing on the deep throws is the biggest thing he needs to work on. Seems to be very accurate on short and intermediate passes. All the intangibles, he already has. Looking forward to watching him progress.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Respond after the next game, sure I will bump Jalen up a few notches. Kelly, Allen, Hurts, Dobbs, Del Rio (healthy), Woodson, even White, are all good quarterbacks
1. Who is woodson?
2. Del-Rio haven't proved anything just yet. He missed few games this season. In fact He's ranked 11th and Appleby is ranked 16th . So we can't just say he's one of the best yet until he can do what Kelly, Dobbs, Hurts and Eason did this year. Willed their team to victory.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Well to try to get this thread back on track, JH has been a solid B in my opinion. Timing on the deep throws is the biggest thing he needs to work on. Seems to be very accurate on short and intermediate passes. All the intangibles, he already has. Looking forward to watching him progress.
Last game, His timing was lot better than it was two weeks. I suspect He'll be on point this week.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Barnett "started" the season by taking the first snap. He was never named the starter.

There's been some talk that Saban wasn't going to start Hurts against USC for a few reasons: stage might overwhelm him and wanted to see how he would respond to hearing the news either Barnett and Bateman would start.

And you think Jalen is middle of the pack in the SEC right now? I can think of at least four SEC teams that would gladly take him as their starter. I can think of four guys ahead of him (Kelly, Dobbs, Allen, and Locke). Who else do you see above him at the moment?
Trevor knight is going to be right there in the discussion, and potentially Eason, although that's maybe more of a stretch.

Even if you put Jalen above those two, out of 14 starting QBs if Jalen was the 5th best, that would be 71st percentile and be a C rating which is right in line with what he's saying.

If he's below Knight (in QBR he is), that's the 64th percentile and in the middle third of SEC QBs.

NONE of that should take anything away from what Jalen has done as a first year starter AND a true freshman. He's been rock solid and done just about everything he's been asked to do and has progressed every week well ahead of the other first year QBs we have had, regardless of age AND we know that since he's young he probably has more growth and higher ceiling than anyone else we've had in recent memory.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
Last game, His timing was lot better than it was two weeks. I suspect He'll be on point this week.
You are right and to borrow from Coach Saban, he just needs to be more consistent. It has to be difficult to really improve this area of his game right now because practice time is dedicated to game planning now. I think an off season of working with the receivers and taking 1st team reps in spring and fall will help him the most. I expect he will really shine next year. I'm more than pleased with his performance so far though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.