Mike Rowe nails it again (regarding voting and the election)...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm a big fan of Mike Rowe and his organization, mikeroweworks.org, he seems to be one of the most level-headed people out there. He once again knocks it out of the park here, imo...

Off The Wall

Jeremy Schneider writes...

Hey Mike, I have nothing but respect for you. Your no-nonsense outlook and incredible eloquence have really had a profound impact in my life. Can you please encourage your huge following to go out and vote this election? I would never impose on you by asking you to advocate one politician over another, but I do feel this election could really use your help. I know that there are many people out there who feel like there is nothing they can do. Please try to use your gifts to make them see that they can do something - that their vote counts.

Hi Jeremy

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it. I also share your concern for our country, and agree wholeheartedly that every vote counts. However, I’m afraid I can’t encourage millions of people whom I’ve never met to just run out and cast a ballot, simply because they have the right to vote. That would be like encouraging everyone to buy an AR-15, simply because they have the right to bear arms. I would need to know a few things about them before offering that kind of encouragement. For instance, do they know how to care for a weapon? Can they afford the cost of the weapon? Do they have a history of violence? Are they mentally stable? In short, are they responsible citizens?

Casting a ballot is not so different. It’s an important right that we all share, and one that impacts our society in dramatic fashion. But it’s one thing to respect and acknowledge our collective rights, and quite another thing to affirmatively encourage people I've never met to exercise them. And yet, my friends in Hollywood do that very thing, and they're at it again.

Every four years, celebrities and movie stars look earnestly into the camera and tell the country to “get out and vote.” They tell us it’s our “most important civic duty,” and they speak as if the very act of casting a ballot is more important than the outcome of the election. This strikes me as somewhat hysterical. Does anyone actually believe that Leonardo DiCaprio, Ellen DeGeneres, and Ed Norton would encourage the “masses” to vote, if they believed the “masses” would elect Donald Trump?

Regardless of their political agenda, my celebrity pals are fundamentally mistaken about our “civic duty” to vote. There is simply no such thing. Voting is a right, not a duty, and not a moral obligation. Like all rights, the right to vote comes with some responsibilities, but lets face it - the bar is not set very high. If you believe aliens from another planet walk among us, you are welcome at the polls. If you believe the world is flat, and the moon landing was completely staged, you are invited to cast a ballot. Astrologists, racists, ghost-hunters, sexists, and people who rely upon a Magic 8 Ball to determine their daily wardrobe are all allowed to participate. In fact, and to your point, they’re encouraged.

The undeniable reality is this: our right to vote does not require any understanding of current events, or any awareness of how our government works. So, when a celebrity reminds the country that “everybody’s vote counts,” they are absolutely correct. But when they tell us that “everybody in the country should get out there and vote,” regardless of what they think or believe, I gotta wonder what they’re smoking.

Look at our current candidates. No one appears to like either one of them. Their approval ratings are at record lows. It's not about who you like more, it's about who you hate less. Sure, we can blame the media, the system, and the candidates themselves, but let’s be honest - Donald and Hillary are there because we put them there. The electorate has tolerated the intolerable. We've treated this entire process like the final episode of American Idol. What did we expect?

So no, Jeremy - I can’t personally encourage everyone in the country to run out and vote. I wouldn't do it, even if I thought it would benefit my personal choice. Because the truth is, the country doesn't need voters who have to be cajoled, enticed, or persuaded to cast a ballot. We need voters who wish to participate in the process. So if you really want me to say something political, how about this - read more.

Spend a few hours every week studying American history, human nature, and economic theory. Start with "Economics in One Lesson." Then try Keynes. Then Hayek. Then Marx. Then Hegel. Develop a worldview that you can articulate as well as defend. Test your theory with people who disagree with you. Debate. Argue. Adjust your philosophy as necessary. Then, when the next election comes around, cast a vote for the candidate whose worldview seems most in line with your own.

Or, don’t. None of the freedoms spelled out in our Constitution were put there so people could cast uninformed ballots out of some misplaced sense of civic duty brought on by a celebrity guilt-trip. The right to assemble, to protest, to speak freely - these rights were included to help assure that the best ideas and the best candidates would emerge from the most transparent process possible.

Remember - there’s nothing virtuous or patriotic about voting just for the sake of voting, and the next time someone tells you otherwise, do me a favor - ask them who they’re voting for. Then tell them you’re voting for their opponent. Then, see if they’ll give you a ride to the polls.

In the meantime, dig into “Economics in One Lesson,” by Henry Hazlitt. It sounds like a snooze but it really is a page turner, and you can download it for free.

Mike
https://www.facebook.com/TheRealMikeRowe/

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I'm a big fan of Mike Rowe and his organization, mikeroweworks.org, he seems to be one of the most level-headed people out there. He once again knocks it out of the park here, imo...

https://www.facebook.com/TheRealMikeRowe/
i liked this part. but after the first sentence, i think he puts too much focus on economics.

Spend a few hours every week studying American history, human nature, and economic theory. Start with "Economics in One Lesson." Then try Keynes. Then Hayek. Then Marx. Then Hegel. Develop a worldview that you can articulate as well as defend. Test your theory with people who disagree with you. Debate. Argue. Adjust your philosophy as necessary. Then, when the next election comes around, cast a vote for the candidate whose worldview seems most in line with your own.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
i liked this part. but after the first sentence, i think he puts too much focus on economics.
Yah, I'm not reading all that, but I think his point is valid - we should all be more educated voters. I have little understanding of broad economics, so when they are discussed I can't honestly add much beyond my knowledge as business owner (which honestly doesn't translate to government-level economics). Our country would be in a FAR better shape if voters took their right more seriously.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yah, I'm not reading all that, but I think his point is valid - we should all be more educated voters. I have little understanding of broad economics, so when they are discussed I can't honestly add much beyond my knowledge as business owner (which honestly doesn't translate to government-level economics). Our country would be in a FAR better shape if voters took their right more seriously.
"pay attention" might be a good campaign slogan

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
"pay attention" might be a good campaign slogan
But you know, it's more than that. Paying attention kinda of implies listening to what's going, which is filtered through the delivery media - real knowledge is gained by individual study. Most are woefully ignored by the average voter. I mean, seriously, ask the next 10 people you come across to explain in some sense of detail how the Obama administration (in conjunction with the Federal Reserve banking system) somehow avoided a major collapse in the last seven years - most will wave hands and talk about quantitative easing in general terms and act like they understand the details involved, while very few could have planned and guided it...

The point is we have - generally speaking - an incredibly ignorant voter base, across the board. Regardless of political leanings, most just parrot / regurgitate what they're told instead of actually educating themselves on the major subjects involved in the discussion.

"Paying attention" is frankly pretty lazy if we're to be informed. Education is where it's at, and you're not getting this by listening to the debates or watching your cable news channel of choice...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
But you know, it's more than that. Paying attention kinda of implies listening to what's going, which is filtered through the delivery media - real knowledge is gained by individual study. Most are woefully ignored by the average voter. I mean, seriously, ask the next 10 people you come across to explain in some sense of detail how the Obama administration (in conjunction with the Federal Reserve banking system) somehow avoided a major collapse in the last seven years - most will wave hands and talk about quantitative easing in general terms and act like they understand the details involved, while very few could have planned and guided it...

The point is we have - generally speaking - an incredibly ignorant voter base, across the board. Regardless of political leanings, most just parrot / regurgitate what they're told instead of actually educating themselves on the major subjects involved in the discussion.

"Paying attention" is frankly pretty lazy if we're to be informed. Education is where it's at, and you're not getting this by listening to the debates or watching your cable news channel of choice...
You got that right. Just when you think they can't get any more vapid, they do.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
You got that right. Just when you think they can't get any more vapid, they do.
Every people gets the government they deserve.
We deserve Hillary and Donald because that is who we are. (Not you individually, or me individually, but "us" collectively.)
If we had a majority of voters who had two brain cells to rub together, neither of those jokers would be anywhere near the top of a ballot. (The "jokers" in this sense are the two politicians, not the two brain cells).

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
As a semi-informed voter, I choose "None of the above" or "you're kidding, right". We have officially gone to you know where in a hand basket.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I saw this as well. Love Mike's no non-sense approach. Tidewater is right. Based on our society, we shouldn't be surprised when we have clowns choose a bunch of clowns to represent us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
What we need is a good ole fashioned pop culture meltdown the day before the election.

Some sort of Kanye Bieber Swift DiCaprio Kardashian sex pot party gone viral....

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

that has been the case for quite a while and it has frustrated me since about my mid-teens onward.

i totally agree that folks need to be self educated, my point in the thread was that this needs to be expanded beyond the realm of economics, which in itself (especially in the realm of self-study) is a massive filter.

Last edited:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I have read Keynes, Hayek, Marx, Hegel, et. al. It is important for one to develop a coherent and consistent political and economic philosophy. Or at least it should be.

On second thought, I doubt very many of our "leaders" have ever read much of anything or even heard of the guys who have shaped the actions of nations for centuries. So, maybe it's not important. We'll continue to muddle on as a country, have an economy based on mutual theft, and only allow two insane political parties to control everything.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
I think some of this comes down to people being uncomfortable being challenged. Whether it is in life at work, or in school, or even amongst friends. It is very difficult to talk to people, even friends because many believe they have a right to their own personal truth. When this is challenged, many people will break off relationships instead of performing an introspective look to see if they may potentially be wrong. It happens with our personal information filters that we set up and surround ourselves with. And is exacerbated by the various social and information networks catering to what makes us spend 10.34512% longer on their site.

For the most part it seems that it is easier, and desired, to just not talk about things that may cause strife in a relationship than it is to deal with the idea you or your friends/family may have to change their thinking. I've wondered why this might be. Personally I think it comes down to the fact that many people haven't had to learn effective conflict resolution skills. My kid is being told at day care to always find a teacher no matter what is causing him or someone else angst. I am more of a "figure it out for yourself" kind of parent when in a group, but even at home playing with his cousins, the mentality is there to get an adult to 'fix' whatever he thinks the problem is. It's a constant fight, but one that I think is worthwhile.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.