How realistic is it that a College team could beat an NFL team?

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Do any of you think we could hang with the Cleveland Browns for example? One argument I always see when it comes to this, is that every NFL team is basically a College all star team. All of them, even Cleveland. Because NFL players were some of the best players on their respective College team.

I know that College and the NFL used to play each other a loooooooooooong time ago.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Re: How realistic is it that a could College team could beat an NFL team?

This is the thing. Bama has a few that could play in the NFL right now. Guess how many Cleveland has...

All of them.

Sent from my iPad Pro 12.9" using Tapatalk Roll Tide!
This is true!

12Namath12

Suspended
Sep 24, 2016
Birmingham

The old NFL/College Allstar game series is the only comparison we have. The college all stars would usually get pounded. The 75 Steelers actually almost lost, but came back to win.
However, as a Cleveland Brown fan, I see no reason why the Tide wouldn't pound them into the ground.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

Not realistic at all. I remember the old College AllStar games against the NFL.. No contest.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama

It would make for some good hype pre-game, but in the end, it wouldn't be a good outcome for the good guys.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

They do this in baseball during spring training sometimes. College rarely ever wins and then only if the pros play mostly players headed for the minors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

it would not be competitive at all. NFL players are professionals, college players are amateurs.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Do any of you think we could hang with the Cleveland Browns for example? One argument I always see when it comes to this, is that every NFL team is basically a College all star team. All of them, even Cleveland. Because NFL players were some of the best players on their respective College team.

I know that College and the NFL used to play each other a loooooooooooong time ago.
Nope. And if both played their best it wouldn't even be close.

Let me put it this way...what chance would you give Alabama in a game against just the SEC All-Stars? Say a team of 22 players was constructed only of the other 13 teams in the league - best players at every position. Chad Kelly throwing to better receivers than he already has with a better line than he has and better running backs than he has.

He only lost by five as it was.

Now remember that you have every single best of the best across college ALL divisions, including those little gems hidden at HBCUs and FCS schools. Richard Dent, the Super Bowl XX MVP and Hall of Famer went to Tennessee State; Jerry Rice went to Miss Valley State; Walter Payton to Jackson State. Kurt Warner went to Northern Iowa.

Hell, the Super Bowl 49 MVP went to West Alabama. Not Alabama. WEST Alabama.

Now imagine a team full of those guys. Plus they'd have additional years of experience lifting weights, playing ball, and the rigorous NFL training camp and medical personnel.

We have guys in our secondary who have trouble covering no names out of the phone book now. Do you seriously think that our secondary could cover FOUR Odell Beckham's or Julio Jones's?

Nope.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

They do this in baseball during spring training sometimes. College rarely ever wins and then only if the pros play mostly players headed for the minors.

No chance. Even the kids who become NFL players and stars are only 18-22 years old. I think everyone understands the difference in physical an emotional maturity between a 20 year old and a 27 year old, especially on both lines of scrimmage.

Another note is that the difference between the top and bottom NFL teams is not as great as many think, proven by the small point spreads and frequent upsets.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.

It would be interesting for the National Champion to take on the worst team from the NFL and see what would happen.

This reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from Vince Lombardi that a reporter asked him after winning Super Bowl 1 with the Packers:

Reporter: What does it feel like being the greatest football team in the world?

Lombardi: I don't know, we haven't played Alabama yet.

CoreGroup

1st Team
Nov 19, 2013
Dothan, Al
This is the thing. Bama has a few that could play in the NFL right now. Guess how many Cleveland has...

All of them.

Sent from my iPad Pro 12.9" using Tapatalk Roll Tide!
Well to be honest there is a few of them with the Browns that shouldn't be.

What if you took a college all star team vs the Browns? They don't have 4 Julio's on their team...heck they don't even have one.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I still think the 2011 team would have given the worst NFL team a run for its money. If we could match that defense with the 2012 offense that starting 22 would have been a formidable challenge for an also ran NFL team.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Maturity and experience would be the difference. As far as talent it would be close. Alabama has maybe 12 to 15 future 1st round picks on the roster. No NFL team comes close to that. Take the 43 former Alabama players on current NFL rosters and you'd have a solid team.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA

Right now I'd say impossible but it may have been possible once. Back in the 1970's when the NFL expanded and the Tampa Bay Bucs came into existence they were pretty bad. They lost their first 26 games in a row over the 1976-77 seasons. They were the worst team I ever saw play in the NFL. A very good college team might have been able to win against them at that time, but that's about the only example I can think of where the college team might have had a chance.

Last edited:

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I'll add to the age and maturity comments by going out on a limb and saying I don't think an NFL all rookie team would fair too well against most NFL teams.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.