7 Requests from a Right-Wing Gen-Xer: Why Boomers are Having Trouble...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Well said, Bill. I have said this before and will repeat it again. Most Americans, as Bill said, are not single issue voters in spite of some of the crap I hear. IMO, the real bottom line for most all voters is simply: I will vote for the candidate who can protect or improve my personal socio-economic station in life.

The conservatives believe the liberals will give away their financial security to minorities, re-distribution of wealth. OTOH, liberals perceive conservatives as money grabbers who want to insure minorities are kept in their places while insuring the rich will not be victims of wealth re-distribution. I realize this is a broad brush comment, but IMO it is in actuality why voters vote the way they do, not because of abortion, global warming, immigration or the war on terrorism. Politicians and the media know this, and use these issues to pigeon hole a candidate.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Btw - speaking of single-issue obsession, several months ago I came across this quote by Richard Nixon about politics and abortion. For those who don't know, Nixon was President just starting his second term on the day Roe v Wade was announced:

In 1980, the Republican nominee for Senate in Colorado, Mary Estill Buchanan, lost in a very close election. I was surprised when a Republican friend told me that he had not voted for her. I asked why. He replied, "She was wrong on abortion." As a result, we got 6 more years of Gary Hart, who was wrong on everything. I can understand people feeling strongly about special issues such as abortion, gun control, and ERA. But they should always step back and consider the alternative. Sometimes it is necessary to make a painful decision to support a candidate who may be wrong on your pet issue but right on most others. I have always believed that sticking to principles is not only the best statesmanship but also the best politics. However, this is a far cry from the approach of some politicians who are unable to see the difference between principle and prejudice

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.