7 Requests from a Right-Wing Gen-Xer: Why Boomers are Having Trouble...

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Loved #5 -- Please stop trying to insult us into agreement.

That tactic seems to be used more and more lately, by both right and left.

"If you're one of them, you're a knuckle-dragging racist cretin redneck."

"If you're with them, you're an over-entitled spoiled brat money-suck who wants to use government power to confiscate or borrow money that doesn't belong to you so you can live high on somebody else's nickle."

You may be able to berate somebody into an action, but you can't berate them into belief.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I am a Boomer and I can assure you that I do not fit, and never have fit her profile. OTOH, I know quite a few Boomers she has nailed exactly. It doesn't actually matter who the candidates are the majority of Boomers will cloak their real agendas in religion in some fashion. I would classify myself as fiscally conservative, but that is where my conservatism pretty much ends. Good read, thanks.

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
i found it a good read for the most part.
As did I though she needs to rethink #4 as it is an issue that can't be solved with Legislation

my version would read "this issue has been settled for most of the lives of Gen Xers, nothing has changed nor will it, to continue to only support candidates based on this issue is pure folly and we as Gen Xers know it so just shut up and accept it's been over since 1973"

and I'd add 4.5 "ditto on gay marriage"

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
As did I though she needs to rethink #4 as it is an issue that can't be solved with Legislation

my version would read "this issue has been settled for most of the lives of Gen Xers, nothing has changed nor will it, to continue to only support candidates based on this issue is pure folly and we as Gen Xers know it so just shut up and accept it's been over since 1973"

and I'd add 4.5 "ditto on gay marriage"
agreed. i personally saw some tension between her #7 and the "shame" part of her #4, but that's just my frame. i see a lot of myself and/or friends in this as i came up in a fairly fundamentalist environment as the moral majority/christian coalition was being formed.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
agreed. i personally saw some tension between her #7 and the "shame" part of her #4, but that's just my frame. i see a lot of myself and/or friends in this as i came up in a fairly fundamentalist environment as the moral majority/christian coalition was being formed.
Same here. The way the religious leaders involved in all that crap leveraged religion for more power is beyond disgusting to me, and I think she does a pretty good job of explaining why many of us who are GenX Christians loathe these 'famous evangelists' and generally want religion out of the picture regarding legislation.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Same here. The way the religious leaders involved in all that crap leveraged religion for more power is beyond disgusting to me, and I think she does a pretty good job of explaining why many of us who are GenX Christians loathe these 'famous evangelists' and generally want religion out of the picture regarding legislation.
Growing up in the heart of the Bible Belt was tough during my elementary and middle school years. As a kid, I foolishly decided to ask questions aloud about my faith and religion in general. I learned the hard way that one shouldn't question if the modern, redneck interpretation of a 2000-year-old religion from half-way around the world isn't 100% accurate. I shouldn't suggest that maybe Jesus didn't speak English. Answering that men and women have the same number of ribs is wrong, even on a science test ('cause elective surgery changes one's genetics, I guess). :confused: Getting grief from fellow students and some teachers for suggesting that some of the Bible is not literal is why I am empathetic toward's Jon's view of religion (even though I still consider myself a believer).

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Agree with everything but the abortion part.
Fixation on abortion will be a losing strategy for the foreseeable future.
I agree. However, I don't think I know any other issue upon which voters become "single issue voters." This issue has changed more in my lifetime than any other I can think of. It's morphed from a social issue into a singly religious issue. When I was a kid, it was only the Catholics who saw it as a religious issue...

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
I'm a boomer but I believe very much in everyone's right and obligation to develop their own beliefs. I am a Christian so I do want everyone to be a believer in Christ but I also know that I can't force that issue. I have raised two sons and am still working on the third. When they were young I tried to pass on beliefs that I believed were important, chief among them being they were to be men and make their own decisions and stand behind them. We don't share all the same beliefs but I am proud they believe what they do strong enough to stand up for it.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
For starters, this is a pretty good article, although I'm ASSUMING (based on the content) this is from an evangelical (possibly Catholic) perspective. It also is assuming a conservative Baby Boomer home that raised conservative Gen-X kids. The main problem with this is that it assumes that most of the support for the GOP since 1980 is based upon evangelicals. While it's correct to say that the vast majority of evangelicals have voted Republican, it is NOT correct to say 'most of the GOP support comes from evangelicals.' The 'religious right' voters are sort of like the black vote with the Democrats in this sense: they're not only pretty much monolithic but......even though they're not anywhere close to the clout that is pretended, the GOP CANNOT win without them at the national level. They're as much an albatross as an asset.

If blacks (using them only as an example) want to see things change, their votes actually have to be up for grabs (Tony Brown has been saying this for years). The same is true with both evangelicals AND labor unions. At one time, the Teamsters was sort of the Republican counter to the AFL-CIO. Once ANY group casts its lot with one party exclusively, they lose ALL real power...because the group they support takes them for granted (and falls back on the old "but we both know you're not going to vote for the other guy") and the party they oppose wins election after election without them and thus has no incentive to do anything for them.

You'll note that the Hispanic vote is nowhere near as monolithic as these other groups. Within a decade of becoming one-party voters, they will lose pretty much all real political clout (they have it right now because they've show they WILL vote either way).

But getting away from that, let's talk about the abortion issue here or - more precisely - the politics of the issue.

I'm assuming a literal read of #4 here because if you just take abortion as a SYMBOL of what the GOP has spent so much time doing - say one thing before the election and then do something different afterwards - then the argument presented here is done well. Of course, if it was a metaphor then there are better issues to make that argument such as the lack of balanced budgets the moment GW Bush took office.

But again, the politics of the abortion issue are nowhere like the press portrays. If I'm to believe what I've watched on the TV news for the last forty years, 99% of the public favors abortion and will vote out any politician who is pro-life. The evidence shows otherwise. Basically - and these numbers have not really budged since Roe v Wade in 1973 - about 58% of the country (give or take 1-2 points in each poll - that's an average) favors legalized abortion while at the same time 53% consider it murder (this means there's a small group of people who both think it's murder AND want it legal). But there are two other things here: 1) abortion NEVER shows up in any poll as a decisive issue for a Presidential candidate; 2) the one-issue voters that focus solely on abortion are as likely to be pro-choice as pro-life. In other words, they cancel out each other's vote and render it meaningless.

Name me one single election where the sole decisive factor was what the candidate's position on abortion was.

Time's up. It's NEVER decided (or even come close to deciding) a Presidential election (since abortion became a political issue - primarily in the 1984 election - we've had eight elections and the pro-life candidate won five out of the eight races). [Note: before any of you start citing this or that, YES, abortion was bandied about in both the 1972 and 1976 elections in very vague terms, but if you got back and look at the positions of the candidates, you'd be utterly shocked at who thought what about that issue]. If 'right to an abortion' was as important to the country as a whole as the TV pretends (mostly because they can show emotional fights and it's easy to cover), that would be 8-0 for the pro-choice candidate.

However - the arguments put forth here about who precisely bears responsibility are legitimate. Reagan held strong pro-life views and in the 1980 platform promised to appoint judges who would 'honor the sanctity of life.' This was throwing a bone to the religious right, but do you remember what he did? He appointed Sandra Day O'Connor to the bench, a woman who as a state senator had already demonstrated pro-choice views. And then GHW Bush appointed that monstrosity, David Souter.

=======================

And there's another thing here and my labor union Democrat buddy (who hates Hillary but is voting for her anyway because he hates Republicans more - yes, he actually believes that every Republican on the planet wants to seize his bank account and force him to live without anything) here in Texas made this point over a year ago: our generation's knowledge of Donald Trump is that he was the guy who imploded the USFL, our spring football league. And then a few years later, he had a highly publicized affair with Marla Maples. And the next year, banks were having to loan him money to keep themselves afloat. (One does not need my memory to have this shorthand view of Trump - they just needed to have paid minimal attention to the news in college). I actually have a copy of the June 12, 1990 CBS Evening News with Dan Rather on DVD (I taped it on the ole VHS off of the ole antenna reception) and Rather does a story on Trump. One thing it said - oh my goodness - was that Trump was going to have to cut back his spending from $550,000 per day to $450,000 per day in order to survive, the poor guy.

What's missing from this but also funny is this...the Baby Boomer parent who told us how important character was and on that basis condemned Nixon (and many voted for Carter) and then Clinton....but now tell us to vote for Trump. Their bipartisan condemnation became partisan compromise.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.