Game Thread: vandy vs Georgia

WishIwasInBama

1st Team
Jul 17, 2005
Okinawa Japan
In my opinion this will play out like when Strong took over at Texas. First order of business was to establish discipline. Judging by the amount of arrests under Richt I would say that wasn't one of his strong suits. Bad part is, it took about 2 years to find out it Strong wasn't the coach we all thought. Not saying Kirby is either way but I don't think we will know until at least middle to end of next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I would never wish ill will on CKS but it very well maybe he made a mistake in taking this job as his first coaching job. They look like a 6-6 team at best and the Dawg fans are now starting to lose patience. Hope it all works out for Kirby. But I'm not sure he'll be given the time to completely overhaul that program.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I wouldn't write him off just yet. He may need a second or third year to get going. Maybe Richt is a better coach than any of us knew?
My question is how did Georgia go from recruiting great talent to this ..... this team that can't seem to get out of its own way. Or, as you wondered, is Richt better than we gave him credit?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I'm going to give Kirby a couple of years before I decide on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I would never wish ill will on CKS but it very well maybe he made a mistake in taking this job as his first coaching job. They look like a 6-6 team at best and the Dawg fans are now starting to lose patience. Hope it all works out for Kirby. But I'm not sure he'll be given the time to completely overhaul that program.
Agreed. Clearly UGA is a high profile team, and as such expects and deserves a proven HC. It's definitely not a place where it's OK to hang around a few years for OJT. At the same time, CKS should have perhaps taken a job at a lower tier school in order to better develop his abilities as HC.
CNS might have taught CKS everything Kirby Smart knows, but didn't teach him everything Nick Saban knows. Obviously, there is a HUGE difference between the two.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
UGA looks like the made the mistake of firing the solid coach for the potentially awesome coach. Problem is if Smart is going to be awesome, it's going to take a while. Not sure UGA has the patience to let him grow.
Saban assistants have been kind of a mixed bag as head coaches. The one thing worth noting is that the most success seems to have come from former offensive coordinators and not former defensive coordinators. I'm not a fan of Smart because of the whole luring a starter away thing, but that aside his success is far from assured at Georgia. He can't be mediocre and hang onto that job for long either.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
Saban assistants have been kind of a mixed bag as head coaches. The one thing worth noting is that the most success seems to have come from former offensive coordinators and not former defensive coordinators. I'm not a fan of Smart because of the whole luring a starter away thing, but that aside his success is far from assured at Georgia. He can't be mediocre and hang onto that job for long either.
Saban assistants also seem to get head coaching jobs at high profile jobs that are in a bad spot. McElwain is the only one, to my knowledge that has done the sensible thing and taken a job at a lesser institution and building it up while gaining valuable head coaching experience without so much pressure. Jimbo Fisher is the only one that made the leap to a high profile head coach with a great deal of success.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.