Bama opens as a 17 pt favorite over A&M??????

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
With Cam's sub-par year so far; this is a huge opportunity for him to make some BIG $$$ (or not) by playing well against Garrett. Let's hope he accepts the challenge.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The ESPN guys slobbered all over us this morning, as did the SECN guys. Newspapers are all but crowning us with #17.

Saban will hate that with the power of a thousand suns.
What does Saban hate more than being buried prematurely by the press? Being crowned prematurely by the press.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Vegas is clearly a bit shell shocked after being hard pressed to find a number for Tennessee number that didn't just bring big public Bama plays.

Also, I don't know if Alabama will cover this but even I - a very pragmatic guy who tends to give our opponents a tad bit more credit that the average fan - have trouble seeing how this team won't go 12-0 right now.

Last edited:

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Here are A&M's and UT's stats (I've removed Bama's stats from UT's as they skew the data) as well as Bama's stats through all seven games:
Scoring D:
A&M: 19.2 ppg
UT: 26.7 ppg
Bama: 15.0 ppg

Rushing D:
A&M: 159 ypg
UT: 183 ypg
Bama: 64 ypg

Passing D:
A&M: 278.2 ypg
UT: 216.3 ypg
Bama: 210.1 ypg

Total D:
A&M: 437.5 ypg
UT: 399.2 ypg
Bama: 274 ypg

Overall, A&M and UT are pretty evenly matched. That said, Bama is better by far by every defensive measure. Alabama also scores over 5 ppg more than A&M does.
Still, I am sure we are going to hear the same garbage this week about aTm having a high-powered offense and how Bama has trouble defending them. Despite the facts say otherwise ;-)

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Vegas is clearly a bit shell shocked after being hard pressed to find a number for Tennessee number that didn't just bring big public Bama plays.

Also, I don't know if Alabama will cover this but even I - a very pragmatic guy who tends to give our opponents a tad bit more credit that the average fan - has trouble seeing how this team won't go 12-0 right now.
I think we run the table from here on out. #17 coming.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I learned a long time ago never to bet on your team. Too many personal emotions to cloud your judgement. That being said, Vegas is looking for the whales from Texas to bet big bucks and drive the points down. I woulds stay 3 miles away from this game betting wise that is.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
The only question will be, like Crimsonaudio said, can we maintain our focus after beating UT and LSU up next.
If we play like we're capable of playing, it's not close. If we don't, it will be. That simple.
I agree with this. If our guys show up and execute, we will win handily. So the real question is, not what AM will do, but rather will our team put forth the same effort that they did yesterday?

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Yes, Saban will raise Cain this week about our mistakes and talk about how good A&M is.
Meanwhile, this type of point spread will please Sumlin because he can play the respect card that seems to motivate so many players. He will tell them that nobody thinks they can win so they shouldn't even bother showing up. You want your respect for being a top ten team? Go to Tuscaloosa and take it. Yeah, yeah, yeah, we gonna get our respect.
Therefore, I do expect a rested A&M to be ready to play and keep this game close. Of course, I also thought UT had proven to be a bunch of fighters who never quit and would give us a game. Then again, I think they will be better for the SEC title game if we meet them there due to getting some injured players back. I always try to show opposing teams respect because anything can happen on a given Saturday.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
While I do not doubt we are at least 17 points better than ATM, all things are not created equal. Namely, ATM was off this past week while we had a ballgame. Also - every single year I have some of you fans tell me the old "well, the reason we lost/almost lost to (fill in the blank) is because you can only get up for so many games a year."

Nobody here should be EXPECTING that our D will perform as well as yesterday. If you think that then the first time they bust a big play you're going to be saying, 'What's wrong with our defense' or my personal favorite 'they weren't focused on ATM this week.' I fully expect us to win, and I'm less nervous than if we'd had a knockdown drag out game with Tenn, but this is a team coming off not one but TWO SEC road games and FOUR SEC games in the last five weeks, THREE on the road.

Those games add up. The positive is that our guys know the necessity of this one in particular. If we lose this game, folks, the season is most likely over.

Remember one more thing when you evaluate ATM's stats:

Here are A&M's and UT's stats (I've removed Bama's stats from UT's as they skew the data) as well as Bama's stats through all seven games:
Not to pick on you, but you also have to remove the Prairie View AM game from ATM's data as well. That's not even a competitor. So let me show you what you get in bold:

Scoring D:
A&M: 19.2 ppg (23.0)

Rushing D:
A&M: 159 ypg (184.4) - PVAM only had 32 rush yards

Passing D:
A&M: 278.2 ypg (299.2)

Total D:
A&M: 437.5 ypg (484 ypg)

Overall, A&M and UT are pretty evenly matched. That said, Bama is better by far by every defensive measure. Alabama also scores over 5 ppg more than A&M does.

Reassessed, it's even more one-sided.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Here's another stat I'm sure they noticed:

Last week UT avg. 1 yard per rushing attempt against Bama. The week before they avg. 8 yards per against the vaunted A&M DL. I expect a very similar line of attack on offense and my guess is it very effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
What's the over under on the number of mentions and video of the Oklahoma Sugar Bowl win against Bama?

Doesn't bother me as long as they don't bring another smuck like Manning in the booth again. That was intolerable..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Here's another stat I'm sure they noticed:

Last week UT avg. 1 yard per rushing attempt against Bama. The week before they avg. 8 yards per against the vaunted A&M DL. I expect a very similar line of attack on offense and my guess is it very effective.
aTm's defensive front 7 is much better than TN's. I have seen the stats, but they are better no matter what the stats seem to show. I'm not saying that you won't be able to run on them - just saying that it won't be as easy.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Their defensive stats look like Chavis in a nutshell...they're giving up less points than their yards conceded would indicate. That means they're getting turnovers and timely stops on their side of the field.

The offensive keys for this game are protecting the football, avoiding throwing into coverage, and high-level execution while in plus territory. They're bending a ton so you need that last little bit of execution to break them.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
What's the over under on the number of mentions and video of the Oklahoma Sugar Bowl win against Bama?

You'd better bet on it. Knight is one of the few college players still active who's been on the winning side against Bama...

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Doesn't bother me as long as they don't bring another smuck like Manning in the booth again. That was intolerable.
Analyst-to-be, don't you see? "Now we got ourselves a ballgame" and "Butch is great, he's turned this program around" are as epigrammatic as any auditioner could hope for. On the QVC Recycled Ordure Channel...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.