Bama opens as a 17 pt favorite over A&M??????

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I edited your post to highlight this - this is the first season I can recall where at this point, I'm not worried about the team showing up flat - they seem to have that 'it' factor. They may prove me wrong in the future, but they just show up, execute at an extremely high level, and as long as they don't relax in the second half, they destroy people.

There's something really special about the 2016 Crimson Tide.
Yeah, they remind me of the 2011 Alabama team that just throttled teams. They still had that hiccup against LSU, but LSU was legit in 2011.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Anyone hear Noel Mazzone's comments today (Texas A&M offensive coordinator)? He said he felt like A&M can run on Alabama's defense. When a reporter mentioned that Tennessee was not able to do so, he said "We're not Tennessee."

Let's just go ahead and put that up on the bulletin board in the DL's meeting room. LB's too.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Bama opens as a 17 pt favorite over A&M??????

Have to admit I'm starting to get a little nervous about this game. It's generally not a good sign when all media outlets start to ask if Alabama could beat some of the bottom NFL teams. I remember a lot of the same talk in 2010 after we obliterated a UF team who was highly ranked but ended up not being a good team. Then I came across this stat. In top 6 meetings with a line this big (granted its only happened 3 times) the favored team is 1-2 and all 3 games were very close. I still think we win this game but I think it's going to be a lot closer than most people expect. Would be glad to be wrong..

Make sure he gets a thank you card.
Anyone hear Noel Mazzone's comments today (Texas A&M offensive coordinator)? He said he felt like A&M can run on Alabama's defense. When a reporter mentioned that Tennessee was not able to do so, he said "We're not Tennessee."

Let's just go ahead and put that up on the bulletin board in the DL's meeting room. LB's too.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Re: Bama opens as a 17 pt favorite over A&M??????

Have to admit I'm starting to get a little nervous about this game. It's generally not a good sign when all media outlets start to ask if Alabama could beat some of the bottom NFL teams. I remember a lot of the same talk in 2010 after we obliterated a UF team who was highly ranked but ended up not being a good team. Then I came across this stat. In top 6 meetings with a line this big (granted its only happened 3 times) the favored team is 1-2 and all 3 games were very close. I still think we win this game but I think it's going to be a lot closer than most people expect. Would be glad to be wrong..
Possible, sure, but those stats have exactly the same influence on how Alabama plays this weekend as the color of the underwear I have on right now. IOW, none, nada, zip, zero.

Stats like that are fun for some folks, but I find them annoying - they literally mean nothing.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I edited your post to highlight this - this is the first season I can recall where at this point, I'm not worried about the team showing up flat - they seem to have that 'it' factor. They may prove me wrong in the future, but they just show up, execute at an extremely high level, and as long as they don't relax in the second half, they destroy people.

There's something really special about the 2016 Crimson Tide.
Add to that this is our first "big" game at home this year so the crowd is going be juiced which I think will get the players juiced.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

What a maroon.

They might in fact be able to do so, but if so, they'll be the first. Even if you really believe it, it's stupid to poke what you think is a sleeping bear.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I imagine it is probably already up. Don't think the boys will like that comment.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I know this is suppose to be for fun, but what do they know that we don't? It's gone from 17 to 16.5 to 17.5 and now 18.5 from what I have seen.
Nothing, Vegas is just trying to get an even number of bets - the rising line means there are more people taking Bama ATS.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
It's a home SEC game.

ESPN Game Day will be on campus.

Kickoff is 2:30. (Not 11:00 - Not 7:00)

The aTm defense is almost as soft in the middle as the Viles.

Trevor Knight is not facing the same style defense he saw before from Bama.

In the infamous words of Aaron Rogers "RELAX"

Bama covers. Easily.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Possible, sure, but those stats have exactly the same influence on how Alabama plays this weekend as the color of the underwear I have on right now. IOW, none, nada, zip, zero.

Stats like that are fun for some folks, but I find them annoying - they literally mean nothing.
Oh sure. I agree with you on the the fact that the stats won't have an influence on the game. I was more intrigued by the logic that every time a team has been heavily favored in a top 6 matchup that the heavily favored team has lost or it's been a very close game. When everybody says one team doesn't have a chance it's almost always a closer game than expected.

I guess I could have phrased my thoughts on the game like this. I don't think the margin of victory in this game will show the true disparity of the two teams. Alabama is a better team than aTm but I think it'll be a closer game than the spread and what most people are anticipating.

It could be a bit closer at the end. Meaningless touchdown maybe???
Oh sure. I agree with you on the the fact that the stats won't have an influence on the game. I was more intrigued by the logic that every time a team has been heavily favored in a top 6 matchup that the heavily favored team has lost or it's been a very close game. When everybody says one team doesn't have a chance it's almost always a closer game than expected.

I guess I could have phrased my thoughts on the game like this. I don't think the margin of victory in this game will show the true disparity of the two teams. Alabama is a better team than aTm but I think it'll be a closer game than the spread and what most people are anticipating.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think the line is kinda getting absurd...if we click on Saturday then sure it could happen but they're a legitimate top 10 team that is actually healthy.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I think the line is kinda getting absurd...if we click on Saturday then sure it could happen but they're a legitimate top 10 team that is actually healthy.
I agree. I expect a Bama win but a competitive game..

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.