Early Odds for Week 8 (2016) Games of Note

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
My cigars are still burning. What a week of football in what looked like a snoozer on paper. On the eye test, this week looks a little more exciting. Let's get right into it.

As always, TideFans.com neither endorses nor condones any gambling of any kind. The numbers below are for entertainment purposes only.

• Miami (FL) is a 5 pt underdog to VaTech
  • Louisville is favored by 18.5 over NC State
  • USCe is favored by 20 over UMass (Mack's note: this is like the 3rd SEC team UMass has played this year)
  • Wazzu is favored by 6.5 over Arizona St.
  • Michigan is a 34 pt favorite over Illinois
  • Washington is a 31.5 pt favorite over Oregon St.
  • Mizzou is favored by 4 over Middle Tenn. St.
  • Kentucky is a 1.5 pt underdog to Miss. St
  • LSU is favored by 4.5 over Ole Miss
  • Auburn is a 9 (!!!!) point favorite over Arkansas
  • Ohio St. is favored by 21 over Penn St.
  • Bama is favored by 16.5 over Texas A&M (opened at 17)
  • No line for Vandy/Tennessee St.
  • Georgia & Florida are both off ahead of the cocktail party, and Tennessee is also off.

Enjoy the games!

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Pardon my ignorance, but I was asking my brother about this yesterday. How do you win money gambling on these games? Say I want to bet $1,000 on Bama beating the spread. If they beat the spread how much money would I win?

Not going to start gambling. I'm just curious how it works. :cool2:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
My cigars are still burning. What a week of football in what looked like a snoozer on paper. On the eye test, this week looks a little more exciting. Let's get right into it.

As always, TideFans.com neither endorses nor condones any gambling of any kind. The numbers below are for entertainment purposes only.

• Miami (FL) is a 5 pt underdog to VaTech
  • Louisville is favored by 18.5 over NC State
  • USCe is favored by 20 over UMass (Mack's note: this is like the 3rd SEC team UMass has played this year)
  • Wazzu is favored by 6.5 over Arizona St.
  • Michigan is a 34 pt favorite over Illinois
  • Washington is a 31.5 pt favorite over Oregon St.
  • Mizzou is favored by 4 over Middle Tenn. St.
  • Kentucky is a 1.5 pt underdog to Miss. St
  • LSU is favored by 4.5 over Ole Miss
  • Auburn is a 9 (!!!!) point favorite over Arkansas
  • Ohio St. is favored by 21 over Penn St.
  • Bama is favored by 16.5 over Texas A&M (opened at 17)
  • No line for Vandy/Tennessee St.
  • Georgia & Florida are both off ahead of the cocktail party, and Tennessee is also off.

Enjoy the games!
Surprised by that Auburn line. I think Arky will win by two scores.

Not surprised by the LSU line. Ole Miss will be the best 3-4 team in the country after this weekend.

Ohio State will probably win by 41.

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Pardon my ignorance, but I was asking my brother about this yesterday. How do you win money gambling on these games? Say I want to bet $1,000 on Bama beating the spread. If they beat the spread how much money would I win?

I'm not an expert and if I say something wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.

It depends on the odds of the bet. Let's say the line is at Bama -9.5. That means that if you bet on Alabama, you have to subtract 9.5 points from their final score and that number must be higher than the opponents score.

Now the odds come into play. Let's say the odds of Bama not covering the spread or losing is 5 to 1. If you bet on Texas A&M not losing by more than 9.5 or winning outright, then you'd multiply your bet by 5x as your winnings (5 divided by 1).

If you bet that Alabama would cover the spread and does, I believe you'd win an extra 20% on top of the bet (1 divided by 5).

Edit: you can also bet on outright winners without the spread involved, but I believe they typically have higher odds of winning and less returns when you bet on the favorite. The spread adds a layer of difficulty to the bet, so they have lower odds of winning. If you bet on the underdog and win in either type of bet, you will win more money than betting on the favorite and winning.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA

The bet pays off at 10/11 odds. In other words for every $11 you bet you would win $10 plus your original $11, so $11+$10 =$21 total. On a $1000 bet you would win $909.09 plus your original $1000, so $909.09+$1000= $1909.09 TOTAL. The reason you don't get paid exactly even money is because whoever you make the bet with keeps the remaining amount as a commission.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Arkansas has played two really tough games at home, auburn has had a week off; don't see Arkansas beating auburn. I had rather go to a quilting crochet off than watch UK vs MSU. LSU in a close one over OM on the bayou.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

An easy way to think about it is this:

If you bet $100 and win, you get your original $100 back, plus an additional $100.

If you bet $100 and lose, you lose your $100 bet, plus a 10% fee, or a total of $110.

It's a proportional progression as your bet increases. As in, if you bet $1,000, you either win $1,000 or lose $1,100. If you bet $10,000, you either win $10,000 or lose $11,000.

That 10% extra on a losing bet is called "juice" or "vigorish" or "vig" or "sugar" or "bookie fee." All different words for the same concept -- the house advantage.

Here's the kicker: at most sports books, you have to pay the 10% on a spread-adjusted tie.

For example: Suppose Team A is favored over Team B by 10 points. Further suppose that the final score ends up being Team A 24 - Team B 14.

Regardless of whether you had Team A minus 10 points, or Team B plus 10 points, you tied. It's also called a "push." So regardless of which side they took, everybody who bet owes 10% of their bet. Not surprisingly, the house loves pushes.

The math is a bit boring, but you have to win 52.38% of your dollar volume to break even. Sounds easy, and it's certainly possible for weekends, or even a season. A lot less likely over several seasons.

The house has the triple advantage of no-foolin professionals dealing with large numbers and long time frames, whereas the individual bettor is trying to (1) take advantage of outcomes born of a small sample size, or (2) beat the world's best professionals who do this all day, every day, 365 days a year.

If you look at it as entertainment, and view the house advantage as the cost of that entertainment, you're fine. If you're trying to make a living at sports betting without having it as your full-time job, good luck to you. They didn't build all those sports book palaces off the winners.

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Arkansas has played two really tough games at home, auburn has had a week off; don't see Arkansas beating auburn. I had rather go to a quilting crochet off than watch UK vs MSU. LSU in a close one over OM on the bayou.
I think Arky has now played A@M, Bama, and Ole Miss in straight weeks and now faces a rested team coming off a bye week at their place. I hope Arky wins, but I imagine they are a tired bunch at this point. We played UK, at Arky, and at UT and face a rested team coming off a bye week, but we at least get them at home. This is why I also think our line will drop quite a bit before Saturday.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.