Why is viewership down so much for NFL games so far this year?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I keep hearing about the horrible ratings (vs previous years) the NFL is seeing so far in 2016. Any thoughts as to why?

Kaepernick?
Brady's suspension?
Manning retirement?
Lack of "star" power personalities?
Ray Rice et al

What demos are they losing? Anyone know?

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Well, all I know is why I don't watch much anymore.

I like college more and the games are just more fun to watch; the traditions, pageantry etc.

This year, I'm sick and tired of the national anthem "boycotts" and the continued obsession of them by the networks during the games so, I chose not to watch. I've got better things to do with my time then listening to that crap.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Personally, the League tolerating Kaepernick 's ignorance is a big part.
Like the MLB owners caving to the players in 1994-5 turned my off the MLB (for good, I have not looked back).

Last edited:

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007
IMO, NFL is all about the $$. The players could care less about W/L. It's a paycheck.... nothing more. FWIW, I can't remember the last time I watched an NFL game from start to finish.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This is NBC's hypothesis, and keep in mind NBC has the marquee game of the day with probably the greatest sportscaster calling the game (Al Michaels)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/29/why-is-tv-viewership-down/

Lets start with an ongoing problem first
The concussion crisis, and the reality that football has become the pin cushion for criticism even though plenty of sports and other activities entail a risk of head injuries, likely has caused some fans to feel guilty about watching or enjoying football. In turn, the league’s efforts to make the game safer probably has influenced others who want big hits and who don’t care about the physical consequences to lose interest.
With the NFL getting so much egg in their face with the Mike Webster case, they have significantly made the game less fierce as it was. There are fewer and fewer defenses that resemble the steel curtain and the 85 bears.

But byfar the greatest disconnect is

These two dynamics have contributed to an intense sense of disdain by plenty of fans for Commissioner Roger Goodell. It’s odd, however, to think that fans are choosing not to watch the NFL on TV because they don’t care for the man whose name appears on the football. (That said, it’s likely no accident that Goodell largely stays out of view.).....The decline has become a mystery, for the media and surely for the NFL. The league’s failure to discipline more aggressively players who have engaged in off-field misconduct possibly has turned off some fans. A perception that the league reacts too heavy-handedly in other matters (like #DeflateGate and the Saints bounty scandal) could cause others to think the NFL hopes to steer certain teams toward success and to make it harder for others to succeed....The quality of the early-season matchups could be an issue, due in large part to a lesser number of star players on great teams. Peyton Manning has retired, Tom Brady is suspended (his team nevertheless had two of its first three games televised nationally), and some of the best quarterbacks remain largely unknown and/or unaccomplished.
Roger Goodell's personal battle with Tom Brady has caused a severe rift in a post-Peyton NFL. Peyton has always been the face of the NFL, while Brady has been the guy that all he does is wins. The Patriots and Brady for all intent and purposes are the Bama and AJ brand of the NFL that is a machine that never seems to stop, while Peyton is the Andrew Luck, Marcus Mariotta, (insert name here) that is a very likable guy that you would generally root for. The problem is that Deflategate has done two things that hurts the NFL tremendously, 1) It puts the legitimacy of one of the greatest, if not the greatest, qbs in history in question and 2) It reinforces a trend of lack of leadership in the commissioner's seat. The NFL is in a state of chaos where they don't have a golden boy to use as a diversion. If Andrew Luck was good enough, or if the NFL would throw all their resources behind Aaron Rodgers then they could probably fill in the Peyton spot. But neither has happened yet. Now the NFL is more of a pro Brady and anti Brady league.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
All the political crap. Sports is an escape for most people. Now they're mixing sports with political issues, social issues etc. People watch NFL for the game not the political/social stance of the players. Harsh but true. They're driving a lot of casual fans away. The hardcore fans are still there..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It's all of the above and frankly, the NFL has made it extremely clear that it only cares about the players and their abilities. I lost interesting the NFL probably 10 or so years ago when this became blatantly obvious, and I think the way the NFL has operated in recent years has only made it more obvious - the NFL is akin to the big business that buys off politicians, gets busted playing fast and loose with the rules, acts like they're sorry, then is allowed to continue with the ill behavior.

I think people are sick of it. I know I am.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Well, all I know is why I don't watch much anymore.

I like college more and the games are just more fun to watch; the traditions, pageantry etc.

This year, I'm sick and tired of the national anthem "boycotts" and the continued obsession of them by the networks during the games so, I chose not to watch. I've got better things to do with my time then listening to that crap.
All that and the fact there is a penalty on just about every play.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
For me it's the politics. I've voiced it on here maybe once or twice but I've grown aggravatingly tired of politics being mixed together with my sports entertainment. So I cut it off. And I'll be quite honest. If college football begins to do the same I'll cut it off as well. I have no problem pulling the plug on both.

The popularity and demand for the NFL as a product is reaching or maybe has reached its peak, IMO. Many of the things mentioned are contributing factors to it's plateau and beginning decline. I know many of the people in my "football circle" have stopped watching because of many of the things mentioned in this thread. The average viewer doesn't want politics mixed with their sports. Sure, they'll tolerate a little dose of it. But when it gets to be apart of the primary broadcast, people start to turn off tv's or switch channels.

Last edited:

tidegrandpa

All-American
For me it's the politics. I've voiced it on here maybe once or twice but I've grown aggravatingly tired of politics being mixed together with my sports entertainment. So I cut it off. And I'll be quite honest here as well. If college football begins to do the same I'll cut it off as well. I have no problem pulling the plug on both.
An opinion of political and/or cultural issues being presented as 'consensus' being forced on me, my cable bill is a high enough price, I don't buy everything they're selling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I quit watching pro football, along with the NBA and MLB years ago. I don't know what is hurting viewership now and quite frankly don't care. College football is moving toward the pro model and when it gets there I'll quit college football too.

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Yeah I think it's a combination of all of it. I quit watching it several years ago. I just got tired of seeing guys sack the opposing quarterback and then have to sit there for the next 20 seconds watching him do his special sack dance.....despite his team being down 4 touchdowns.

The NFL has become way too corporate for me anymore. Fantasy football driven.

There are no real rivalries in the NFL anymore. It's all fake. The advent of free agency did away with rivalries. The rivalries only exist in the minds of the fanbases. Furthermore, the talent is especially watered down. There's just not enough legitimate talent to keep 32 rosters made up of 53 players. The bottom 1/3 of NFL rosters are pretty much garbage. Just bodies...special teams players.

The average NFL team has about 10 players with top notch NFL talent. Another 25 with so-so NFL talent, and the rest are constantly trying to be upgraded on because they're borderline NFL talent. The last 15 players or so are constantly being churned. Not much difference between them and what's on the practice squad.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I can think of a lot of overlapping reasons right off the bat, reasons that have a lot to do with why I don't watch much NFL anymore.

1) Politics - and I'm not just talking about Colin K, either. The NFL created the soil that sprouted anthem protests. Colin is an EFFECT of the NFL not managing its own house, not a cause. Think about it for a moment: the whole Michael Sam fiasco from start to finish, Bob Costas using what was supposed to be a memorial during the broadcast to work in his liberal political opposition to guns, writers who have taken it upon themselves to not use the name Washington Redskins (Goodell should have told any writer doing this that their credentials were revoked, and I'm sure if Tom Brady had been a writer he would have), and the NFL on one hand permitting the Rams to take the field with the 'hands up' (which was a total lie) gesture but telling Dallas they CANNOT honor the police officers murdered here last July 7 because they don't want to be involved in politics - they apparently don't want to be involved in NON-LIBERAL politics. (Oh and btw - the NFL needs to hire BLM to do their security if this is their position).

When I watch sports it is to ESCAPE from the politics at work, politics at school, politics at home - I don't need the NFL force feeding me their own version of morality, particularly in light of....

2) Concussion - this is a LONG-TERM problem for the NFL after how they handled it.

I will confess having serious misgivings myself watching football at all - yes, including Alabama. Concussion might explain Colin K's sudden transformation from mediocre NFL QB into mediocre spokesman for Hate America First

3) Mediocre division winners due to the four-team divisions

We have had 2 or 3 instances in the past decade of teams with records of 8-8 or EVEN WORSE hosting HOME playoff games against teams with much better records. Why? Four-team divisions. They literally reward mediocrity based upon geographical accidents. There is LITERALLY no reason to watch a regular season NFL game, especially if you wind up with a very good 12-4 team that has the misfortune of being in a really tough division and stays home while a 7-9 team goes to the playoffs. Now before you bring it up - yes, it happened in the old set-up in 1985, when the 11-5 Broncos stayed home while the 8-8 Browns made the playoffs. But that happened ONCE....not several times and teams did not have free agency like nowadays - so one could easily argue the Broncos got even with the Browns by eliminating them in 3 of the next 4 AFC title games.

Not now. We get a bunch of 9-7 contenders every single year because of the set-up.

4) Fantasy football

Who the hell cares? Nothing personal if you're into that, but it can't be that exclusive or even remotely fun. One particular year I had three friends in three different groups who all 'won the Super Bowl.' How is this even possible?

And btw - I played 'fantasy football' in 1983 in Germany with several guys...but we were actually more concerned with who won than 'how my fantasy player did.' Our version may predate what's here, but from what I've seen (save the defense) it isn't that much different.

It's boring as crap. Like I said - I was in the NINTH GRADE when that appealed to me.

5) College football is now on as often as the NFL

I think a lot of folks get footballed out on Saturday and rest Sunday. When it can literally make the difference in whether you make the playoffs or not based on a game OPENING WEEK, you pay attention.

Gray is right in that what's going to happen is college football is going to see these great ratings and decide "hey, if we put 2-4 more teams in the playoff" and that's going to kill them, too.

Btw - if the Trump-Clinton race is to blame for the lower ratings (one of the most absurd proposals I've ever heard) then shouldn't the NFL's foray into politics be BOOSTING their own ratings rather than lowering them?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think a lot of folks get footballed out on Saturday and rest Sunday. When it can literally make the difference in whether you make the playoffs or not based on a game OPENING WEEK, you pay attention.
Pretty much describes me. I watch casually, while doing something else, usually, if one of our guys is actually playing. I don't really pay a lot of attention to the political side, not enough for it to be troubling, anyway...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.