Pick the score: Texas A&M vs. Alabama

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I simply do not understand how some think this defense yields 40+ points to aTm. Sumlin is gonna take his shots. He HAS to and he knows it. But I just don't think they will have that many opportunities with what I expect to be very run heavy game plan. Unless of course the run game busts multiple 40+ yarders and a couple 85r's. Then we know what they gonna run :cool2:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
More worried about Hurts having a few moments like he did against Barnett last week where he poorly judged the speed of the DE and ended up making a terrible mistake. Positive: Hurts is a quick learner and Barnett was a nice pop quiz heading into this game.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I simply do not understand how some think this defense yields 40+ points to aTm. Sumlin is gonna take his shots. He HAS to and he knows it. But I just don't think they will have that many opportunities with what I expect to be very run heavy game plan. Unless of course the run game busts multiple 40+ yarders and a couple 85r's. Then we know what they gonna run :cool2:
Only scenario I could see would be several Bama NOT's putting a tired Bama defense right back on the field. In that case Bama would have 50+ or 60+ points themselves because their offense will have 30+ or 40+ points.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
More worried about Hurts having a few moments like he did against Barnett last week where he poorly judged the speed of the DE and ended up making a terrible mistake. Positive: Hurts is a quick learner and Barnett was a nice pop quiz heading into this game.
I think you saw some growth during that game. He stepped up in the pocket later in the game to make it easier on Cam and hit his check down receiver for a nice gain. It was a great sign.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Going to post here what I posted in Jess' preview thread:

To say TAMU hasn't played a defense like Alabama's is an understatement.

Their opponents average giving up 385.95 yards a game. Alabama averages giving up 274 a game. UCLA and Auburn's 344 and 346 averages are the best A&M has faced thus far.

Alabama averages 111.49 in defensive pass efficiency. UCLA, Auburn, and South Carolina beat Alabama in the stat.

A&M hasn't faced a rush defense that gives up less than 146 yards per game. Alabama gives up 64 yards.

Their opponents average 24.7 points a game compared to Alabama's 15.

Their OL must be pretty strong since they've only given up 6 sacks on the season while their opponents average 14 on the year. Then again, Prairie View skews the stats since they have 25 on the year whil second place is Arkansas with 15. (Alabama has 27.)

Tennessee is the only opponent with more turnovers (15) on the year than Alabama (14).

Bama crushes their opponents in third down conversation rate, though. 29.7% to a 38.7% average. The closest team is Auburn at 31.5%.

Bama's red-zone average isn't great (80%), but that's partly due to Bama giving up 12 scores in 15 tries. Auburn's defense has given up the least amount of scores with 15 scores out of 22 tries. All of TAMU's opponents have defended the red-zone at least 22 times.

Barring craziness happening, Knight shouldn't do very well because he hasn't seen this type of defense.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Phil Steele is a pretty good picker and he says Bama by 3 TD's, I am on board with that so, 42-21
Phil Steele was 0-9 last week on his best bets of the weekend. I like Phil but it just goes to show that even "experts" don't have a clue at times..

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I hope our secondary is ready, especially with TAM tall wide receivers. We need to avoid 15 yard interference, free 1st down penalties also, which could turn into easy points for TAM. Play like last week, not like v Arky. Trevor will throw more long balls than Dobbs tried to do, even if he is rushed. I think he is a better runner than Dobbs and will be more difficult to tackle.

I bet Myles Garrett is healthier than we think and will play most of the game, so our O Line must be ready or it will be a long day for Jalen throwing the ball. I just hope we don't have turnovers and can get at least 1 NOT. This game will be close but I think we will win. I am getting nervous about it already! This game could define our season because I really don't think TAM will lose 2 more games, and we still have LSU to play at their place which is no easy task. RTR!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I hope our secondary is ready, especially with TAM tall wide receivers. We need to avoid 15 yard interference, free 1st down penalties also, which could turn into easy points for TAM. Play like last week, not like v Arky. Trevor will throw more long balls than Dobbs tried to do, even if he is rushed. I think he is a better runner than Dobbs and will be more difficult to tackle.

I bet Myles Garrett is healthier than we think and will play most of the game, so our O Line must be ready or it will be a long day for Jalen throwing the ball. I just hope we don't have turnovers and can get at least 1 NOT. This game will be close but I think we will win. I am getting nervous about it already! This game could define our season because I really don't think TAM will lose 2 more games, and we still have LSU to play at their place which is no easy task. RTR!
Really? :D

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The thing that worries me the most about this game is that I don't think we can afford this to be the once-per-year dud. I don't see two more losses on TAMU's schedule, so we need the head-to-head victory. They have Alabama, MSU, Ole Miss, and LSU left. You can pencil in that MSU game and you have to think that a pass-heavy Ole Miss is going to struggle against their pass rush. They get LSU at home to end the regular season. While LSU has looked good of late, they're in a situation where I think one more loss may lead to their guys packing it up for 2016. Interim coach, all their goals would be officially out of the picture, etc.

We can honestly better afford to lose to LSU at this juncture than TAMU, so we better be ready to take it to them.

Last edited:

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
The thing that worries me the most about this game is that I don't think we can afford this to be the once-per-year dud. I don't see two more losses on TAMU's schedule, so we need the head-to-head victory. They have Alabama, MSU, Ole Miss, and LSU left. You can pencil in that MSU game and you have to think that a pass-heavy Ole Miss is going to struggle against their pass rush. They get LSU at home to end the regular season. While LSU has looked good of late, they're in a situation where I think one more loss may lead to their guys packing it up for 2016. Interim coach, all their goals would be officially out of the picture, etc.

We can honestly better afford to lose to LSU at this juncture than TAMU, so we better be ready to take it to them.
I'm hoping the WK game was that game. Coach Saban himself said he was never more disappointed in a win than that one.

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.